Lamborghini Talk banner

Mileage or Condition?

1424 26
All,

With the rampant amount of cars that we're seeing that have questionable mileage due to mileage blockers these days, does mileage really hold the same weight on value as it used to? Or do you believe that condition of the car is paramount?

Obviously both are important, but I'm interested to know which of the two holds more weight in your buying decision.

Mileage or Condition?

• Mileage

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Condition

Votes: 26 89.7%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If a car is properly serviced and cared for I don't think mileage is a big deal.
I guess my reasoning for the thread is given the flurry of TMU cars out there, it's becoming a minefield in the exotic world. Personally, I'd be more skeptical of a low mileage car than one that looks honest about its mileage. Nobody's trying to mileage block at 50,000 mile huracan because the depreciation hit has already taken effect, its the 3k mile ones that take a big hit if a buyer finds out its TMU.

·
Registered
947 Posts
In Europe most of the cars with small mileage are always in perfect condition (2 in 1 combination).But I can't say the same for high mileage cars-"tired" interior, little paint scratches and nobody knows for sure what happens with the engine or gear box

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I'm looking at condition first because it is obvious on some AT listing that some cars have been rolled back or had mileage blocker. Right off the bat since I can't know if it's been rolled back I put them on the same field with maybe 50 000km or more. I trust a little bit more higher mileage because odds are they might be more honest about it.

High mileage is less of any issue if the owners didn't abuse the car.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
For resale Mileage is key. Lots of used Exotic owners are super picky and low mileage cars obviously tend to be in better condition and command a premium. Speaking from my Ferrari ownership, used F-car values fall off a cliff once they cross 10K miles. Something mental about the 5 digit mileage barrier.

OTOH I would be more comfortable buying a used H with some miles on it so that kinks would have been worked out. Super low mileage cars can manifest underlying problems due to inactivity.

·
Registered
947 Posts
For resale Mileage is key. Lots of used Exotic owners are super picky and low mileage cars obviously tend to be in better condition and command a premium. Speaking from my Ferrari ownership, used F-car values fall off a cliff once they cross 10K miles. Something mental about the 5 digit mileage barrier.

OTOH I would be more comfortable buying a used H with some miles on it so that kinks would have been worked out. Super low mileage cars can manifest underlying problems due to inactivity.
For me most important thing on the second hand market is mileage.Make no sense to buy Huracan with 40-50000km, because the best of this car has gone literally, at the same time you blowing not a little money.No matter how well it has been maintained, certain components wear out.For example i was offered this beautiful Spyder month ago with only 4900km and interior still smells as brand new.I don't believe that high mileage car in perfect condition,good maintained will be at this level
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Plant

Vehicle Gear shift Car Automotive design Window

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
For me most important thing on the second hand market is mileage.Make no sense to buy Huracan with 40-50000km, because the best of this car has gone literally, at the same time you blowing not a little money.No matter how well it has been maintained, certain components wear out.For example i was offered this beautiful Spyder month ago with only 4900km and interior still smells as brand new.I don't believe that high mileage car in perfect condition,good maintained will be at this level
What is "the best of this car gone" at 40-50000km?

·
Registered
947 Posts
What is "the best of this car gone" at 40-50000km?
Super sport car like Huracan(also Ferrari, McLaren) at 50 thousand km is seriously exploited in every sense you can thing of.Many things related to materials and components are reaching their technological limit, despite the service intervals over the years.The shine and charm of the car is no longer the same(interior, exterior), you are getting closer and closer to possible serious repairs,you are out of warranty.I see all the cars you post for sale in other discussion and they all look so "tired"(Am I,the only one who see it?!!),but it's hard for me to explain all these things in the forum.You have to feel it,I mean serious ownership experience with this brand

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
For me most important thing on the second hand market is mileage.Make no sense to buy Huracan with 40-50000km, because the best of this car has gone literally, at the same time you blowing not a little money.No matter how well it has been maintained, certain components wear out.For example i was offered this beautiful Spyder month ago with only 4900km and interior still smells as brand new.I don't believe that high mileage car in perfect condition,good maintained will be at this level View attachment 320659
View attachment 320658
Agreed

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Super sport car like Huracan(also Ferrari, McLaren) at 50 thousand km is seriously exploited in every sense you can thing of.Many things related to materials and components are reaching their technological limit, despite the service intervals over the years.The shine and charm of the car is no longer the same(interior, exterior), you are getting closer and closer to possible serious repairs,you are out of warranty.I see all the cars you post for sale in other discussion and they all look so "tired"(Am I,the only one who see it?!!),but it's hard for me to explain all these things in the forum.You have to feel it,I mean serious ownership experience with this brand
Basically you are saying if I understand correctly is that the car is more than likely worn out and to expect very expensive repairs. If that is the case it would be more logical to spend I don't know just as an example 50K CAD more for a low mileage car expecting and hoping it would not break down. The problem is we could be easily fooled into thinking it is low mileage but they rolled back the odometer or has a mileage blocker.

You are correct I would not be a collector, I would put another 50 000km on a Huracan in a few years.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mileage does not determine condition. A Lamborghini that was driven properly to 50,000 miles can easily be in better shape than one with 2,000 miles of a bad driver. The same way 1 bad owner is worse than 15 good owners.

Would you rather buy a rental car with 5,000 miles or one owned by one person with 50,000 miles?

Just as an example look at Bring a Trailer Murcielagos. One with over 22,000 miles was in better shape inside and out than a 2,900 mile example. Both yellow.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Basically you are saying if I understand correctly is that the car is more than likely worn out and to expect very expensive repairs. If that is the case it would be more logical to spend I don't know just as an example 50K CAD more for a low mileage car expecting and hoping it would not break down. The problem is we could be easily fooled into thinking it is low mileage but they rolled back the odometer or has a mileage blocker.

You are correct I would not be a collector, I would put another 50 000km on a Huracan in a few years.
You should focus on something that is worth it,even if it costs more.Something fresh,new with 8-10000km, more options, warranty.Generaly we speaking about Evo RWD.My advice to you is to not to look at "tired" cars anymore,try to find real car

1 - 20 of 27 Posts