Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to do some general service on the Gallardo, and have found a Lamborghini tech who does house calls that I am considering using.

My question is, having a lift is critical, and my neighbor happens to have a mid-rise scissor lift similar to this one: Commercial Grade Portable Car Lift by Atlas 7,000 lb Capacity which is has volunteered to let me use.

Is such a lift safe to use on the Gallardo? I'm a bit concerned about this lift spanning the whole undercarriage, and not touching only the 4 lift points on the car (best I can tell).

I've seen photos where folks place blocks on the lift where the anchore points are, so the lift seemingly comes in contact with the anchor points, which seems like it could possibly work.

Anybody out there use a similar mid-rise, scissor setup, and tips to do this correctly with the Lambo?

·
Registered
236 Posts
that’s a safe lift...i had a bendpak mid lift ...sold it and moved on to this which lets you stand underneath.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I am looking to do some general service on the Gallardo, and have found a Lamborghini tech who does house calls that I am considering using.

My question is, having a lift is critical, and my neighbor happens to have a mid-rise scissor lift similar to this one: Commercial Grade Portable Car Lift by Atlas 7,000 lb Capacity which is has volunteered to let me use.

Is such a lift safe to use on the Gallardo? I'm a bit concerned about this lift spanning the whole undercarriage, and not touching only the 4 lift points on the car (best I can tell).

I've seen photos where folks place blocks on the lift where the anchore points are, so the lift seemingly comes in contact with the anchor points, which seems like it could possibly work.

Anybody out there use a similar mid-rise, scissor setup, and tips to do this correctly with the Lambo?
Have you heard of Quickjack portable lifts?
I bought a 12 volt version, a BL-5000 SLX.
It does the job perfectly, you can place it in the back of a van or probably a station wagon etc and take it anywhere as you arent relying on mains voltage - I can use mine with just a 12 volt spot lamp battery!
You would be better to get the bigger BL-7000 XLT ( 7000lbs and extra long version for the Lambo being that the back of the car is quite heavy ).
They are two ramp like units that you place under the car and just lift it up as you please.
They have two height settings, I prefer mine at the lower setting cause I just dont like being under cars full stop but its safe as anything and they are very popular.
Just YouTube them to see how awesome they are.
They are only good for creeper height though, if you want higher than kneeling you will have to spend a lot more money on the Bendpak type and way less ease of use and limited space under the car also.
Dont worry about the jack points, you get the two front ones but so long as you are careful you have a safe area to lift at the rear too.
I learnt this from Tavarish on his YouTube channel years ago.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have heard of the Quickjack lifts.

My specific interest in the mid-rise scissor style lift is because my neighbor has one that he's offered to let me use.

My concern is how to use his safely (in light of the specific lift points called out for in the manual) when the lift itself appears to cover the whole surface area.

I want to see if my neighbor's lift is safe to use in the interim until I find a more permanent solution.

Any other feedback on the mid-rise scissor lifts and where/how they come in contact with the car?

Have you heard of Quickjack portable lifts?
I bought a 12 volt version, a BL-5000 SLX.
It does the job perfectly, you can place it in the back of a van or probably a station wagon etc and take it anywhere as you arent relying on mains voltage - I can use mine with just a 12 volt spot lamp battery!
You would be better to get the bigger BL-7000 XLT ( 7000lbs and extra long version for the Lambo being that the back of the car is quite heavy ).
They are two ramp like units that you place under the car and just lift it up as you please.
They have two height settings, I prefer mine at the lower setting cause I just dont like being under cars full stop but its safe as anything and they are very popular.
Just YouTube them to see how awesome they are.
They are only good for creeper height though, if you want higher than kneeling you will have to spend a lot more money on the Bendpak type and way less ease of use and limited space under the car also.
Dont worry about the jack points, you get the two front ones but so long as you are careful you have a safe area to lift at the rear too.
I learnt this from Tavarish on his YouTube channel years ago.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I love my Quickjack. If you get one and have a pre-lp make sure to get the XLT version. The factory lift points are too wide to fit with the SLX. Since I had the BL-7000 SLX I had to buy the extenders. Only problem is now the Quickjack is too tall to fit under the car with the extenders on top of the SLX... As a result I just cut a 2x12 up into four pieces and drive up onto them to get the clearance needed. I'd much rather have bought the XLT from the start as it would slide right under the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any more specific feedback on the mid-rise scissor lifts like this: Commercial Grade Portable Car Lift by Atlas 7,000 lb Capacity

I appreciate the suggestions on alternatives, but for now I just want to know how to safely use one like the Atlas, as its something my neighbor already has, which I plan to use for the next couple of times I have to lift up the car.

My question/concern is the design seems to distribute the weight across the whole underside, (as opposed to the 4 specific jack points on the car like you can do with a 2 post lift).

I was thinking placing rubber blocks at the jack points on the Atlas style (or similar mid-rise scissor) lift could work, but wanted to appeal to those familiar with this style of lift.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any more specific feedback on the mid-rise scissor lifts like this: Commercial Grade Portable Car Lift by Atlas 7,000 lb Capacity

I appreciate the suggestions on alternatives, but for now I just want to know how to safely use one like the Atlas, as its something my neighbor already has, which I plan to use for the next couple of times I have to lift up the car.

My question/concern is the design seems to distribute the weight across the whole underside, (as opposed to the 4 specific jack points on the car like you can do with a 2 post lift).

I was thinking placing rubber blocks at the jack points on the Atlas style (or similar mid-rise scissor) lift could work, but wanted to appeal to those familiar with this style of lift.
I looked at that link and don't think there would be an issue with that. However, if I were in your shoes I would do two things: 1) I would double check the measurements to make sure the car has enough clearance to drive onto it without beaching itself. 2) I would get some hockey pucks to put on the lift where it would meet at the factory jacking points to make sure it won't mess anything up on the underside that it's not suppose to touch. I may be over thinking this, but that's what I would do to give me peace of mind.

Edit: One quick note too. It looks like you have a pre-lp. The factory lift points are quite far apart. I looked up the Quickjack XLS reach and it's 66". Going off memory it took almost that entire spread to reach the approved lift points. Maybe a couple of inches off. I believe the link you sent was just an example, but it was only 57" and I would make sure the reach is long enough to reach those points. It may not work given that and I would personally be nervous to lift it without the rubber pucks on the lift points in fear of smashing some of the metal panels under the car. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for that thorough response!

I looked at that link and don't think there would be an issue with that. However, if I were in your shoes I would do two things: 1) I would double check the measurements to make sure the car has enough clearance to drive onto it without beaching itself. 2) I would get some hockey pucks to put on the lift where it would meet at the factory jacking points to make sure it won't mess anything up on the underside that it's not suppose to touch. I may be over thinking this, but that's what I would do to give me peace of mind.

Edit: One quick note too. It looks like you have a pre-lp. The factory lift points are quite far apart. I looked up the Quickjack XLS reach and it's 66". Going off memory it took almost that entire spread to reach the approved lift points. Maybe a couple of inches off. I believe the link you sent was just an example, but it was only 57" and I would make sure the reach is long enough to reach those points. It may not work given that and I would personally be nervous to lift it without the rubber pucks on the lift points in fear of smashing some of the metal panels under the car. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
928 Posts
When the guy came to my house to replace the xpel on the front bumper he brought a quickjack. It worked great, stores easy, and was easy to set up. It was the first time he had used that quickjack. Obviously you can't stand up under it, unless you are really really short. The quickjack is probably the option I will go with.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I think she is just trying to get everyone to watch her videos. Im gonna pass.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate your reply. If I were in the market to buy a lift, I'd look closer at the quickjack (or would just install a 2 post lift that I could walk under).

The purpose of this thread is to see if the Mid-rise scissor lift like the one I show is good/safe to use since my neighbor has one and has offered to let me use it when I need to get the car up.

Any other feedback from folks familiar with this style of lift, and how to make sure only the jack points in the car are touched (is it as simple as using 4 rubber hockey pucks)?

When the guy came to my house to replace the xpel on the front bumper he brought a quickjack. It worked great, stores easy, and was easy to set up. It was the first time he had used that quickjack. Obviously you can't stand up under it, unless you are really really short. The quickjack is probably the option I will go with.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That doesn't make any sense. You posted this video on a thread asking for detail on mid-rise scissor lifts.

You mean to say that your POV video highlighting a cold-start from inside and outside the car is relevant, because at one point in the car's life the stock exhaust was put on with the car lifted up?

Why not post a video with a tire review, because at one point in history, the car had to be lifted up to fit the tires (make sure though, that the video makes no mention of the lifts, or this actual thread)?

Or go find a thread about how to care for a newborn baby and post a video about a 90 year old woman, because 89 1/2 years ago, she WAS a baby?

Or I have another thought, why not post a video on this thread of a space shuttle, because they say "lift-off" on the video?

Here is what I'm thinking. I'm thinking you are trying to monetize a brand-new YouTube channel and are trying to drop as many links from websites that have strong domain authority to your channel to increase views. To be candid, when you drop completely irrelevant videos all over the forum as a means to try and boost your views, it comes across as spammy (at least to me).

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but if you really expect me to believe you honestly felt your video added value to this thread because at one point in the car's life it was on a lift (even when the video mentions nothing about lifts, etc.) - you come across very disingenuous.

I don't expect you'll grow your channel very well this way, spamming this or other forums and making up crazy reasons to justify why you are doing it.

On the other hand, maybe I am not as astute as other forum members, who may easily be able to see the connection you were trying to reach with your video here----

it’s how the exhaust got put on

1 - 18 of 18 Posts