Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,. Have any of you driven a McLaren 600LT? I've read some good things about the car but I know that these cars depreciate fast. With that being said I'm looking at a 2019 with under 2K miles and factory warranty untill July 2022. Asking price is around 215K. One owner, no accidents. The car is out of state so I have not driven it or any other McLaren. Any thoughts or fist hand knowledge?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Original MSRP of $281K

·
Registered
312 Posts
I bought one end of last year and really enjoy it...VERY direct steering and feel. Power is great but I dont feel the car has the 'personality' our lambos do. Still, it's a great change of pace and quite different from our italian stuff here.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought one end of last year and really enjoy it...VERY direct steering and feel. Power is great but I dont feel the car has the 'personality' our lambos do. Still, it's a great change of pace and quite different from our italian stuff here.
Thanks for responding. Any issues with yours? I like that it is Rwd mid-engine. I owned a Noble M400 that was very fast, light and direct cart type steering. Lee Noble was also part of the McLaren team so that's my only compassion. I'm looking at saving about 20 to 28% below MSRP so I'm not worried about the initial depreciation. Im just concerned about the past reliability issues the company has had. Don't want to drop 200k into a money pit. It would be nice to have the reliability of the past Lamborghinis I've owned. There's something about the 600LT lines that stands out over their other models. Can you post some pics?

·
Registered
117 Posts
There’s a 650S that’s been sitting in my mechanic’s bay for the past month, gorgeous and immobile. A part of the cam failed, threw off the timing and damaged one of the pistons. The shop didn’t want to touch it, and sent him to the McLaren dealership who immediately quoted him a minimum $40,000 bill before even taking the engine apart (so likely higher cost in the end). He couldn’t swallow that, so went back to my mechanic and begged him to give it a shot.

They had to custom fabricate a couple parts, and will have him back on the road for around $25,000. Warranty had just expired, and the owner didn’t want to spend another $8000 to extend it (and allegedly the only way McLaren offers the warranty is if ALL maintenance work including thousand dollar oil changes are done at the dealership).

They have a great reputation as drivers cars, but not many can justify the ownership costs along with the irrational depreciation.

·
Registered
312 Posts
No issues with my 600lt

Attachments

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I had a 650S and had a similar experience to the guy WorldRider is talking about. About ~60k in repairs were required, plus the nice benefit of losing ~90k in depreciation on the car even though I had bought it used (and the owner had lost ~150k on it already).

McLaren makes an amazing car... but they still have a lot of stuff to work out before it is a car that I would buy again.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a 650S and had a similar experience to the guy WorldRider is talking about. About ~60k in repairs were required, plus the nice benefit of losing ~90k in depreciation on the car even though I had bought it used (and the owner had lost ~150k on it already).

McLaren makes an amazing car... but they still have a lot of stuff to work out before it is a car that I would buy again.
Wow, sounds like a car I should not look into owning. This is exactly what I'm not wanting. We're your problems mostly engine problems? The only thing I would have to fall back on is the warranty that's still left on the car. 2 out of the 3 comments listed here are negative. Not very good odds. Thanks for your input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts