Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the proper way to test the map sensor for a 96 diablo? My check engine light comes on almost immediately with multiple miss fires. I have even taken it to the dealer and they cant find anything wrong with it. I later got a slight manifold leak and the check engine error code went away. I fixed the leak and the check engine light came right back with the multiple miss fires.

All I can think of is the manifold leak let in the right amount of air to offset the problem with the map sensor? If there is a problem.

If anyone can tell me what wires to meter I can check it.

Thanks for your help!

Steve.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Are there two map sensors? Maybe swap them to see if the issue goes to the other bank?

What CEL code are you getting?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
error codes

I am getting a P0300 random/multiple missfires, P1301, and P1302 no description on the last two. The dealer has had the car for a month and they say there is nothing wrong and the car is running great! But they cant figure out why the codes. If anyone has any ideas that would be great. When the dealer wont even touch it because they say it is running so well I dont know what to think. The emissions all all good.

Could it be just a software error on the computer?

Thanks for all the help

Steve.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
I am getting a P0300 random/multiple missfires, P1301, and P1302 no description on the last two.
The Diablo has misfire detection per bank not per cylinder. P0300 is the base code and requires the other codes to further explain the problem. P1301 is misfire on bank with cylinders 1 thru 6 and P1302 is misfire on bank with cylinders 7 thru 12. Both codes are strategy 1 which is "startup and basic run" and thus is consistent with your comment about getting the codes "almost immediately" after start.

Could it be just a software error on the computer?
No. There is a legit issue here. Could be a fuel pressure problem on start for example. Would be curious to reset the codes after start and see if they come back on or if its just the startup generating the codes.

-mick

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try clearing the codes after start and see if they come back. Does anyone know how the 96 determines that there is an actual miss fire?

Thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Not applicable to a MY96. These exhaust gas pressure sensors are only found on later year models, specifically VVT engines.

-mick

PS Note that the author of that web site, John, had a 6.0 (i.e. VVT).
Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I talked to the guy I bought the car from and he said that they uploaded new software to the computers. I am wondering if the new software is looking for the misfire sensor and since my car doesnt have a misfire sensor then it triggers the misfire codes. Anyone heard of such a thing? If the 96 doesnt have that sensor maybe that is my problem?

Thanks for all your help!

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
I talked to the guy I bought the car from and he said that they uploaded new software to the computers. I am wondering if the new software is looking for the misfire sensor and since my car doesnt have a misfire sensor then it triggers the misfire codes. Anyone heard of such a thing? If the 96 doesnt have that sensor maybe that is my problem?
No. That's a stretch.

1) The software update routine does too many checks to match the firmware version to the module being updated and is cross checked to the cars VIN.
2) The LIE and GFA "computers" differ too much from one model year to another to run software that does not match. Note that MY96 "computers" differ in basic hardware from MY97 which differ from MY97 1/2 which differ from MY98 etc etc.
3) The only software updates being made in the last ~15 years were for the GFA not LIE so the point is moot. And those were to address smog testing issues.

-mick

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello Mick.... thanks again for your insight. I will be picking my car up from the dealer this weekend and look at the codes and try a little diagnosis myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts