Lamborghini Talk banner

Manual Clutch Inspection Port?

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ttsam 
#1 ·
I have heard several references to a clutch inspection port on the 2004 manual murcielago though I don't find any direct mention of it in the manual (I could just be overlooking it).

1. Where is the port located?
2. How do I read the clutch life or otherwise interpret the remaining material on the clutch?

This is for a 6 speed manual and not e-gear tranny.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I have been around my transmission quite a bit, and I haven't seen any opening that you can use to inspect the clutch life.

There are 5 large openings around the clutch on the top of the transmission, but that doesn't do you any good when you can't see into them because they are up against the transmission tunnel.

I had heard you had to pull the engine to check the clutch life, but I would be happy to learn that's incorrect.

#3 ·
On the Diablo there was a decent sized hole on the bottom of the bellhousing, I believe to serve as a drain in case there was a rear main seal fallure or something to prevent oil from hitting the clutch. Maybe with one of those special cameras on a flexible tube you might be able to see something but I'm pretty sure there is no way to really tell accurate clutch life on a manual without pulling the whole drive train, separating the engine and trans, and physically inspecting the clutch.

#4 ·
Newbie just to chime in here (I dont own an murci): usually with the inspection port it is located right where the transmission joins the fly wheel. It will look something like this, can be smaller or bigger etc:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...64237-t56-clutch-adjustment-tips-img_6358.jpg

On my ferrari I can see the clutch disk, part of the pressure plate, and another port where I can see the fly wheel's outter teeth where the starter motor uses to crank the car.

As for measuring the clutch life, you must first know the thickness of the oem clutch when its new. Then once you have that as a reference, you can stick either one of those caliper measuring tool or a hex bit in there, and see what hex bit you can fit within the clutch plate's width.

If the clutch's usable friction material is 1mm, and there are two sides (one facing the fly wheel, one facing the pressure plate), total usable life is 2mm. So if OEM thickness is 6mm, and you measure current thickness is 5mm, then you have 50% life left, as an example.

#5 ·
After going through some pictures of my engine out service, I think stimpy is right. There is no opening under the trans. There are ports at the top, but I don't think they (or the clutch inside) are visible without the use of a mirror or stethoscope camera.

I don't recall seeing an access panel while under the car either.

#7 ·
Maybe useful

Hi. When I visited the museum, I looked for this manual transmission viewing port on the manual LP640 gear box they have on display. I don't think it's easily accessible when in the car. Feel free to comment whether this is useful. I'm always looking at ways to improve my understanding of my Grey Beast!

Attachments

#8 ·
Hi. When I visited the museum, I looked for this manual transmission viewing port on the manual LP640 gear box they have on display. I don't think it's easily accessible when in the car. Feel free to comment whether this is useful. I'm always looking at ways to improve my understanding of my Grey Beast!
Wow very cool!

#10 ·
Hello Gents

I was cleaning under the Murci and noticed this Hole I am wondering if this is the Inspection port for the Clutch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.