Lamborghini Talk banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
No, it does not.
One of my complaints with my 32-core Ryzen is that even professional design software chugs along at a 5 percent utilization rate, sipping only a sampling of 2 cores or maybe 4, but in no way using all 32 cores. Even hardcore games dip their toes in as few cores as necessary.

Here I thought Autodesk inventor would be finger-snap fast with all those cores and 64 gigabytes of RAM.

El nope-o.

I bet Apple stuff actually USES all the cores, unlike the Windows stuff, where even top-level industrial design software just dabbles in a couple cores at a time.

Whoever is designing your software will not bother most often porting it to a scalable multicore or multiprocessor environment for best end-user experience.

Now, if you are using a mighty, tens-of-thousands-of-dollars-per-seat-license rendering software, then the many cores can finally be used and make a difference.

Other than that, I'd give the industry at least 20 years before it gets anywhere NEAR utilizing the processing power available to it.

Using Windows is pushing me hard towards Apple. Having one of the top computers/motherboards/RAM/M2 drives on the planet when I bought it and watching it do stuff at an "old Chinese accountant with a very-well-lubed abacus" pace was like buying a Lambo and having bone stock 1992 Honda civics running rings around me on the freeway. My video cards alone were worth more than most computers.

Completely disgusted.
I develop my own high end software that does utilize all cores and threads(neural nets, etc). Parallel execution rules in that environment.

if you’re using/purchasing poorly written software, ie doesn’t even acknowledge the plethora of cores and threads, then… that’s like having a missing fuel rail on your V12 lambo and wondering why it’s slow.

I do agree with you, much of the legacy and recent software is jack ass slow. That’s due to the fact, AMD has recently shattered the consumer market with their chiplet design(Zen architecture). Software companies are slow to revamp their designs. Their share price went from $5 to $100 because of their ingenuity. AMD has eaten Intels data center market share. Currently, AMD and NVDA are slugging it out in that space.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I’m just grateful that the gaming PC I built in 2011 for the, then, upcoming release of Diablo 3 still runs like a champ today and I can run any game I enjoy playing. I’ve only had to replace my power supply.

A MacBook a company sent me would randomly just reboot while I was in the middle of working or on a video call. It had the M1 chip or whatever. I only know that because the guy who pushed for Mac was raging about how great this new M1 chip was. Well, it constantly crashed when just having a few browser windows open and a video call going.

I like not having to buy adapters to plug in USB or HDMI cables. Not to mention directly connecting to the internet vs WiFi. My windows laptop has those built right in.

One function I can get behind on the mac is the screenshot capability and quick edit.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I develop my own high end software that does utilize all cores and threads(neural nets, etc). Parallel execution rules in that environment.

if you’re using/purchasing poorly written software, ie doesn’t even acknowledge the plethora of cores and threads, then… that’s like having a missing fuel rail on your V12 lambo and wondering why it’s slow.

I do agree with you, much of the legacy and recent software is jack ass slow. That’s due to the fact, AMD has recently shattered the consumer market with their chiplet design(Zen architecture). Software companies are slow to revamp their designs. Their share price went from $5 to $100 because of their ingenuity. AMD has eaten Intels data center market share. Currently, AMD and NVDA are slugging it out in that space.
I am definitely not wondering why software runs at a snail's pace on such a computer.

I wrote to Autdoesk to reubuke them for being too lazy/stupid/greedy to port their software to a poly-core environment.

·
Premium Member
2022 Rosso Mars Huracan STO
17,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I just ordered the 27" Mac Studio Display and Mac Studio. After I get it set up I will post my impressions for those Apple fans. I went with the specs as described in post #4 but for those interested............see attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Kudos to Apple and the factory in China, I custom specced my Mac Studio, and it was completed in 3 days and it was shipped today from China and arriving Monday.........pretty impressive.

Reactions: AngelOfMurci

·
Premium Member
17,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I know we are adults but are we? I keep refreshing the screen for my Mac Studio. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
17,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Again very impressed with Apple's order execution with more than a little help from the factory in China. As of Yesterday (Friday) my Mac Studio traveled from Shenzhen China to Louisville Kentucky (little over a days time)........Wow! Monday delivery looks like it will happen. Just like Apple, under promise and over deliver.

Attachments

41 - 52 of 52 Posts