Lamborghini Talk banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well the devil is in the details…

Nothing beats AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3995WX it has a WHOPPING 64 cores with 128 threads! Granted the link I provided only has Apples M1 processor (has a piddly 10 cores and 10 threads).

remember, more cores and threads mean more multitasking processing speeds.

I do agree, that Apple has cornered the market on Quality AND user experience that can’t be touched. That’s why they can bilk consumers with their Apple tax.

Also, another thing to consider… gamers are 100% windows platforms(NVDA&AMD graphics cards)… as every year they are upgrading their GPUs/cooling/memory/etc… something you really can’t do with Macs, since it’s a closed system.
That's a desktop processor with a price of $5,489 and 280W TDP. Good luck putting that in a laptop.

Don't get me wrong I have a few PCs as well with Nvidia 3090s in them as well for gaming and for machine learning. I think we will see more ML applications coming to the GPUs on the M-based Macs though, Stable Diffusion has already been ported to run on it.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
That's a desktop processor with a price of $5,489 and 280W TDP. Good luck putting that in a laptop.

Don't get me wrong I have a few PCs as well with Nvidia 3090s in them as well for gaming and for machine learning. I think we will see more ML applications coming to the GPUs on the M-based Macs though, Stable Diffusion has already been ported to run on it.
In my original post(16) I only mention PC.
Now, AMDs Ryzen chiplet design, allows for a plethora of product designs with minimal architectural changes. From 4 cores to 128. Massive threads for multitasking (think simultaneous video editing while streaming, etc)

if you only use your Pc or laptop for one task at a time, then your not a power user and an Apple system will suit your needs.

the INTC i9 will dominate single thread performance.

i suppose Apples user base (older people or college non techies) don’t demand much from their systems.

there’s a reason gamers use PCs and not Macs. They’re cheap and fast.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Rectangle Electronic instrument Audio equipment Gadget Gas

Blue Entertainment Purple Visual effect lighting Electronic instrument

My PCs I built for gaming, nvidia 3090 and amd 5900x in both. Those are for games, my macs are for work and I’m definitely a power user 😂 Unless I’m gaming though I’m running Ubuntu not Windows on the PCs.

• Love
Reactions: Hogdogfatkat

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
View attachment 318592
View attachment 318591

My PCs I built for gaming, nvidia 3090 and amd 5900x in both. Those are for games, my macs are for work and I’m definitely a power user 😂 Unless I’m gaming though I’m running Ubuntu not Windows on the PCs.
Just curious, What work tasks do you do, that require modern day technology?

I ask because any browser base application can be run from a tablet or phone. No need for a PC. Compilers and data crunching apps run way, way faster on a multi core systems. More cores, more processing speeds.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just curious, What work tasks do you do, that require modern day technology?

I ask because any browser base application can be run from a tablet or phone. No need for a PC. Compilers and data crunching apps run way, way faster on a multi core systems. More cores, more processing speeds.
I do software development. Xcode, Android Studio, Visual Studio, Unity 3d, VS Code, IDA Pro, iPhone simulator, Android emulator, multiple VMs (mostly docker containers running things like local copies of postgresql, redis, etc), I also tend to have Photoshop and Sketch open and occasionally Blender. I prefer to work on a laptop and I don't think there is any laptop that beats a maxed out MacBook Pro M1 Max if you take into consideration build quality, performance, battery life and also the advantage of having a BSD based OS versus having to deal with Windows Subsystem for Linux 2.

Reactions: 2Tired

·
Premium Member
2022 Rosso Mars Huracan STO
17,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
@sprite, you're a serious gamer. That is some build pictured above.

·
Registered
625 Posts
View attachment 318592
View attachment 318591

Nice setups! I'm much too lazy to do proper water cooling, so I just run an AIO for my CPU, and air cool everything else. XD

What are your games of choice atm?

I've got my gaming PC mounted into my desk (as a drawer), for easy cleaning, part swapping, and to keep it out of my way.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I do software development. Xcode, Android Studio, Visual Studio, Unity 3d, VS Code, IDA Pro, iPhone simulator, Android emulator, multiple VMs (mostly docker containers running things like local copies of postgresql, redis, etc), I also tend to have Photoshop and Sketch open and occasionally Blender. I prefer to work on a laptop and I don't think there is any laptop that beats a maxed out MacBook Pro M1 Max if you take into consideration build quality, performance, battery life and also the advantage of having a BSD based OS versus having to deal with Windows Subsystem for Linux 2.
So I run all those tools. The second a bigger, faster SSD or DRAM bank comes out… bam! It takes me 2 hours to upgrade my system. Can you do that on your Mac laptop? I ask, because I own 2 mac minis. They are bricks now, because I can’t upgrade the memory nor the OS, which in turn prevents me from running the latest version of Xcode.

·
Registered
226 Posts
So I run all those tools. The second a bigger, faster SSD or DRAM bank comes out… bam! It takes me 2 hours to upgrade my system. Can you do that on your Mac laptop? I ask, because I own 2 mac minis. They are bricks now, because I can’t upgrade the memory nor the OS, which in turn prevents me from running the latest version of Xcode.
Have you tried any of the M based Mac laptops yet? Especially a maxed out one? Like I said I prefer to keep most of my work on a laptop and for a laptop you are limited by cooling and if on the go battery life. The ARM based M chips are a lot more power efficient than any x64 chip. Less heat, longer battery life, no thermal throttle, not to mention since everything is SoC the overall performance is really good, a lot better than the sum of the raw numbers would indicate. Macs also have good resale value and Apple has a trade-in program, so when you want to upgrade simply order your new computer, and when it arrives send your old one back to Apple and get a nice chunk of your money back.

In any case I think we have to agree to disagree. I love building PCs, but for work unless it's something that requires CUDA I'll reach for the Mac anytime.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nice setups! I'm much too lazy to do proper water cooling, so I just run an AIO for my CPU, and air cool everything else. XD

I've got my gaming PC mounted into my desk (as a drawer), for easy cleaning, part swapping, and to keep it out of my way.

Haven't really gamed much lately as I've been busy with other things but I plan on getting God of War at some point. Latest game I completed was Elden Ring, but I played that on my xbox.

·
Registered
226 Posts

Very nice. Nothing wrong with AIOs and it's a lot easier for maintenance/part swapping instead of having to drain the loop. I typically drain and replace fluid once a year and then take care of any changes I want to make at the same time.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Haven't really gamed much lately as I've been busy with other things but I plan on getting God of War at some point. Latest game I completed was Elden Ring, but I played that on my xbox.
Oh man, GoW was the first game in awhile that the wife actually asked me not to play unless she was there to watch, because she became invested in it. Was a good time. I ended up playing ER a bit after release, when the fans released a frame rate and ultrawide unlocker, and it looked stunning on my oled ultrawide.

Very nice. Nothing wrong with AIOs and it's a lot easier for maintenance/part swapping instead of having to drain the loop. I typically drain and replace fluid once a year and then take care of any changes I want to make at the same time.
That's not too bad. How long does it usually take to do both systems?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Have you tried any of the M based Mac laptops yet? Especially a maxed out one? Like I said I prefer to keep most of my work on a laptop and for a laptop you are limited by cooling and if on the go battery life. The ARM based M chips are a lot more power efficient than any x64 chip. Less heat, longer battery life, no thermal throttle, not to mention since everything is SoC the overall performance is really good, a lot better than the sum of the raw numbers would indicate. Macs also have good resale value and Apple has a trade-in program, so when you want to upgrade simply order your new computer, and when it arrives send your old one back to Apple and get a nice chunk of your money back.

In any case I think we have to agree to disagree. I love building PCs, but for work unless it's something that requires CUDA I'll reach for the Mac anytime.
I have not tried the M machines yet.
I understand your desire for low power, low heat mobile laptop development. However, it’s a double edged sword… because all too often, if you take the laptop on vacation, you end up coding. Been there, done that. For stay at home use, I’ll always use a desktop system.
Ps
I see you use Unity. Ever use Xamarin?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have not tried the M machines yet.
I understand your desire for low power, low heat mobile laptop development. However, it’s a double edged sword… because all too often, if you take the laptop on vacation, you end up coding. Been there, done that. For stay at home use, I’ll always use a desktop system.
Ps
I see you use Unity. Ever use Xamarin?
I’ve played around with xamarin before but nothing actually released to production, flutter is my go to cross platform framework now.

Reactions: AngelOfMurci

·
Registered
356 Posts
remember, more cores and threads mean more multitasking processing speeds.
No, it does not.
One of my complaints with my 32-core Ryzen is that even professional design software chugs along at a 5 percent utilization rate, sipping only a sampling of 2 cores or maybe 4, but in no way using all 32 cores. Even hardcore games dip their toes in as few cores as necessary.

Here I thought Autodesk inventor would be finger-snap fast with all those cores and 64 gigabytes of RAM.

El nope-o.

I bet Apple stuff actually USES all the cores, unlike the Windows stuff, where even top-level industrial design software just dabbles in a couple cores at a time.

Whoever is designing your software will not bother most often porting it to a scalable multicore or multiprocessor environment for best end-user experience.

Now, if you are using a mighty, tens-of-thousands-of-dollars-per-seat-license rendering software, then the many cores can finally be used and make a difference.

Other than that, I'd give the industry at least 20 years before it gets anywhere NEAR utilizing the processing power available to it.

Using Windows is pushing me hard towards Apple. Having one of the top computers/motherboards/RAM/M2 drives on the planet when I bought it and watching it do stuff at an "old Chinese accountant with a very-well-lubed abacus" pace was like buying a Lambo and having bone stock 1992 Honda civics running rings around me on the freeway. My video cards alone were worth more than most computers.

Completely disgusted.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts