Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does 50% clutch life mean in terms of miles to be driven? What's the best technique to driving an egear that preserves clutch life ? When a clutch needs to be replaced what is a average cost for this engine out service ? Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
118 Posts
In the 640 cars the e gear revision is a lot better and longer life. The clutch actually wears lees in the last half of its life then the first half. Normal driving should gain you about 22K-25K miles at 50% clutch life left. Best to drive it by not taking out of gear, if stopped make sure your break pedal is pushed down firmly, this will disengage the clutch until you remove your foot from the break pedal. When start off, try to give as much gas pedal as you can, will engage quicker and cause less drag wear. once your going you can feather off of the gas pedal. If you "Launch" your car, worst thing for the clutch..dont do it.

Replacement, Dealer is going to be the most, I see them from $10K to $14K Qualified independents will run $7K to $10K .

Also the newer version clutch plates, flywheel etc OEM are just fine, wasting your money to buy "Ceramic" or other up after market clutch parts. AT least thats my opinion

Roy Cats

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the 640 cars the e gear revision is a lot better and longer life. The clutch actually wears lees in the last half of its life then the first half. Normal driving should gain you about 22K-25K miles at 50% clutch life left. Best to drive it by not taking out of gear, if stopped make sure your break pedal is pushed down firmly, this will disengage the clutch until you remove your foot from the break pedal. When start off, try to give as much gas pedal as you can, will engage quicker and cause less drag wear. once your going you can feather off of the gas pedal. If you "Launch" your car, worst thing for the clutch..dont do it.

Replacement, Dealer is going to be the most, I see them from $10K to $14K Qualified independents will run $7K to $10K .

Also the newer version clutch plates, flywheel etc OEM are just fine, wasting your money to buy "Ceramic" or other up after market clutch parts. AT least thats my opinion

Roy Cats

·
Vendor
1,782 Posts
What does 50% clutch life mean in terms of miles to be driven? What's the best technique to driving an egear that preserves clutch life ? When a clutch needs to be replaced what is a average cost for this engine out service ? Thank you all in advance.
The average clutch life of a Murcielago LP640 is about 10-15k miles. Can you get more? Yes. Can you get less? Yes but the average is 10-15k miles. The mileage is very dependent on the driving style. For example, if you do a lot of freeway driving, you can get a lot more miles out of your clutch.

LP640 clutch lasts longer than a Pre-LP because it has shorter gears. There has not been any newer version on Pre-LP or LP640 clutch since they have been produced. Pre-LP and LP640 have the same exact clutch disc and it has never been updated. There are no newer version of OEM clutch. The flywheels are different. LP640 flywheel has ignition triggers but Pre-LP doesn't have any ignition triggers like LP640.

The second half of an oem clutch lasts less than the first half because oem uses organic material. Our Kevlar's second half lasts longer than the first half. we have clutches that last up to 350% longer than a stock clutch.

How many miles do you have on your clutch?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m actually asking this question because I am in the market for an LP640 egear and most cars are in the 12000 to 14000 mile range . Thank you very much for your answer and time .

·
Registered
2007 LP640 Balloon White
162 Posts
You might be surprised to find that some/many in that mileage range will already have a new clutch. I've seen them replaced as early as 5K miles. Over 20K miles on an LP640 clutch is ambitious from my reading. Costs at a dealer can exceed $20K (mine was $21K, luckily the prior owner paid for it). You'll want to read up on ways to extend the life....paddle to "neutral" when approaching stop signs/lights, drive in Sport always so the clutch is fully engaged quicker (less wear), never try a "launch mode" start, etc.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The average clutch life of a Murcielago LP640 is about 10-15k miles. Can you get more? Yes. Can you get less? Yes but the average is 10-15k miles. The mileage is very dependent on the driving style. For example, if you do a lot of freeway driving, you can get a lot more miles out of your clutch.

LP640 clutch lasts longer than a Pre-LP because it has shorter gears. There has not been any newer version on Pre-LP or LP640 clutch since they have been produced. Pre-LP and LP640 have the same exact clutch disc and it has never been updated. There are no newer version of OEM clutch. The flywheels are different. LP640 flywheel has ignition triggers but Pre-LP doesn't have any ignition triggers like LP640.

The second half of an oem clutch lasts less than the first half because oem uses organic material. Our Kevlar's second half lasts longer than the first half. we have clutches that last up to 350% longer than a stock clutch.

How many miles do you have on your clutch?

I respectfully disagree with you. The LP640 cars do have updated software versions that has helped extend the clutch life. I have had numerous 640 e gear cars and the ones that have run through my hands have definitely longer clutch life the pre LP cars. As for wearing not as quickly on the second 50%...again thats just from my experience. After a new clutch goes in, I see 10% wear in the first 2000 miles..then have cars I have sold, get them back with 20K miles on them and the clutch wear is only at 40% worn..of course your right a BIG portion is how the car is driven. BUT I have yet to have a LP640 with a clutch gone at 15K miles...The 09 LP640 currently on my site, got a new clutch at 24,250 miles and still had 22% clutch life left...but I replaced as we all KNOW no one buys a car with only 20% left. The 07 Yellow 640 on my site has 54% clutch life left with almost 13K miles on it. Those are just two examples OF EVIDENCE to back up my claims.

I have no experience or knowledge of your product. I am not sure what the cost difference is for your clutch that your marketing here. I would like to see some evidence that your clutch will go 52K miles plus, with your claim of it lasting 350% more then an OEM 15K mile clutch??
Sorry I just find that hard to believe...if it truly goes 50K miles plus, then post evidence and price difference and they should be flying off of the shelf. I will probably be the first here to buy it if you can substantiate your claim.

·
Vendor
1,782 Posts
I respectfully disagree with you. The LP640 cars do have updated software versions that has helped extend the clutch life. I have had numerous 640 e gear cars and the ones that have run through my hands have definitely longer clutch life the pre LP cars. As for wearing not as quickly on the second 50%...again thats just from my experience. After a new clutch goes in, I see 10% wear in the first 2000 miles..then have cars I have sold, get them back with 20K miles on them and the clutch wear is only at 40% worn..of course your right a BIG portion is how the car is driven. BUT I have yet to have a LP640 with a clutch gone at 15K miles...The 09 LP640 currently on my site, got a new clutch at 24,250 miles and still had 22% clutch life left...but I replaced as we all KNOW no one buys a car with only 20% left. The 07 Yellow 640 on my site has 54% clutch life left with almost 13K miles on it. Those are just two examples OF EVIDENCE to back up my claims.

I have no experience or knowledge of your product. I am not sure what the cost difference is for your clutch that your marketing here. I would like to see some evidence that your clutch will go 52K miles plus, with your claim of it lasting 350% more then an OEM 15K mile clutch??
Sorry I just find that hard to believe...if it truly goes 50K miles plus, then post evidence and price difference and they should be flying off of the shelf. I will probably be the first here to buy it if you can substantiate your claim.
We base our estimates on hundreds of clutches that we have sold. You can get more or less than average depending on how you drive your Lambo. Before we sell a clutch, we ask how many miles you have and if it's on the original clutch. I had a customer who called and said that he has 15k miles on his LP640. I asked him if you're on your first clutch. He said he's on his 3rd clutch. I was very surprised. He got our clutch and he hasn't had a need for a clutch in about 4 years. At the same time, I have had a customer call me and he got over 20k miles from his oem clutch so it's possible to get more and it's possible to get less than average.

Roy, a new clutch in the beginning will have more wear because the clutch lining material is new and it's very soft. If it's broken in properly, it will have gradual heat introduced to the lining which will result in the clutch linings get harder and have better wear. That's why it's recommended not to put too much load on a clutch when it's new. After break in period, you gradually increase the load.

We have clutches that last 200-350% longer than a stock clutch. HT200 lasts 200% longer than a stock clutch and it's cheaper than a stock clutch. Our customers who have HT300 and HT350 are getting 300-350% more than their stock clutch.

Here is a thread with over 470 posts and full of happy customers that are getting a lot more than their stock clutches. Some of our customers tell us that we are very conservative when we say that our clutch lasts 350% longer than a stock clutch.

Here is a customer where his stock clutch lasted less than 10k miles. He got our HT300 and he put about 9-10k miles on our clutch and only used 2%. This was verified by Lamborghini San Francisco. If he drives it the same way, he's going to get 100,000 miles from our clutch. Please look at the invoices from the dealer.

DIY Lamborghini Gallardo clutch Kevlar kit by Hi Tech...

Here is another customer that can get 600-700% more than his stock clutch.

Roy, if your LP640 has 54%, then that's not bad. People should not expect a used LP640 to have a brand new clutch. I'm sure you priced it accordingly because if it had a brand new clutch, then you would have asked for more. If it had 20%, then you're correct, that you should either put a new clutch or give a 80% clutch credit. Good luck with the sale!!!

·
Registered
LP640
2,268 Posts
I'm clearly and advocate for 2WD and it definitely helps the clutch life. I put over 20k miles on a stock clutch in my '03 during 2011-13 and the current owner is on the same clutch. My LP's original clutch disc exploded on a 2-3 shift at WOT almost exactly at 20k miles (was catching at the top of the pedal travel) and was a press car. Currently at 16k+ miles and still has low engagement on the pedal (stock clutch) and on r-compound tires. I am expecting at least 40k miles out of this clutch.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We base our estimates on hundreds of clutches that we have sold. You can get more or less than average depending on how you drive your Lambo. Before we sell a clutch, we ask how many miles you have and if it's on the original clutch. I had a customer who called and said that he has 15k miles on his LP640. I asked him if you're on your first clutch. He said he's on his 3rd clutch. I was very surprised. He got our clutch and he hasn't had a need for a clutch in about 4 years. At the same time, I have had a customer call me and he got over 20k miles from his oem clutch so it's possible to get more and it's possible to get less than average.

Roy, a new clutch in the beginning will have more wear because the clutch lining material is new and it's very soft. If it's broken in properly, it will have gradual heat introduced to the lining which will result in the clutch linings get harder and have better wear. That's why it's recommended not to put too much load on a clutch when it's new. After break in period, you gradually increase the load.

We have clutches that last 200-350% longer than a stock clutch. HT200 lasts 200% longer than a stock clutch and it's cheaper than a stock clutch. Our customers who have HT300 and HT350 are getting 300-350% more than their stock clutch.

Here is a thread with over 470 posts and full of happy customers that are getting a lot more than their stock clutches. Some of our customers tell us that we are very conservative when we say that our clutch lasts 350% longer than a stock clutch.

Here is a customer where his stock clutch lasted less than 10k miles. He got our HT300 and he put about 9-10k miles on our clutch and only used 2%. This was verified by Lamborghini San Francisco. If he drives it the same way, he's going to get 100,000 miles from our clutch. Please look at the invoices from the dealer.

Here is another customer that can get 600-700% more than his stock clutch.

Roy, if your LP640 has 54%, then that's not bad. People should not expect a used LP640 to have a brand new clutch. I'm sure you priced it accordingly because if it had a brand new clutch, then you would have asked for more. If it had 20%, then you're correct, that you should either put a new clutch or give a 80% clutch credit. Good luck with the sale!!!

Very good info. Learn something new everyday. Guess we will be buying or clutch parts from you for our next clutch replacement.
Thanks Roy Cats

·
Registered
2009 LP640 Coupe
102 Posts
...Best to drive it by not taking out of gear, if stopped make sure your break pedal is pushed down firmly, this will disengage the clutch until you remove your foot from the break pedal...
Roy, if coming up to a stop sign is it better to leave the car in gear and down shift than shift into Neutral? Also would you lift slightly (as you normally would in a manual) when upshifting? The owner's manual said not to lift, but it seems more jerky than lift. I'm a relatively new '09 LP640 owner here. TIA

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Roy, if coming up to a stop sign is it better to leave the car in gear and down shift than shift into Neutral? Also would you lift slightly (as you normally would in a manual) when upshifting? The owner's manual said not to lift, but it seems more jerky than lift. I'm a relatively new '09 LP640 owner here. TIA
I think the pre LP cars, yes shift Into Neutral. But the LP cars my experience is no.

I don't think lifting of the gas is a good idea. Your engagement and dis engagement of the clutch would add to wear

At the end of the day...just enjoy your car they way you like!! It's a toy. And toys cost money. So plan to spend money and enjoy it

Just like a HOT GF or WIFE. Enjoy the heck out of her...why go easy on her?? You want to save her for the next guy when you die. 😆😆😆😆

·
Registered
LP640
2,268 Posts
I agree with Roy, don't lift between upshifts. The ECU & TCU are designed for shifts under throttle.

Coming to a stop is easier on the clutch by going into neutral and coasting than downshifting/engine braking. But it would be more noticeable on mpg than clutch life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts