Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropped off my LP 640 for manual conversion. Will be dropping a used manual transmission. I will provide more details as we are gathering more parts for the conversion. I also plan to inspect and replace any parts that are worn or require replacing via Preventative Maintenance.

Current Specs:
2007 LP640 Nardo Grey
14,000 miles
Black interior
DTP Exhaust
Primary Cat Delete
2WD conversion
Reid Performance Intake
Flash tune

My question to the members is what added value would manual transmission conversion bring? Last year LP640 manual was acquired by Curated for $800K. Mileage unknown.
Would it add $150K in value to the vehicle? Or maybe more? Thoughts gentlemen?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Interesting.

And good question on the value. Very few successfully converted cars, and I don’t think any have sold openly to have a comparable.

When it comes to collectible cars, originality is key. I saw a 2006 Ford GT go across the block last year that had been converted to a Heritage edition. As you probably know, Heritage Editions bring a huge premium over the standard GT’s. It was a no sale that was bid to $250k, which was less than what it would have brought at the time as a regular edition. Owner probably spent $30k on the conversion disassembling the car to make it like an original.

So it’s a coin toss on which way the value will go until you try sell it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting.

And good question on the value. Very few successfully converted cars, and I don’t think any have sold openly to have a comparable.

When it comes to collectible cars, originality is key. I saw a 2006 Ford GT go across the block last year that had been converted to a Heritage edition. As you probably know, Heritage Editions bring a huge premium over the standard GT’s. It was a no sale that was bid to $250k, which was less than what it would have brought at the time as a regular edition. Owner probably spent $30k on the conversion disassembling the car to make it like an original.

So it’s a coin toss on which way the value will go until you try sell it.
I agree with the originality but with the very limited run of the LP640 manuals and the exorbitant cost difference between the manual and non-manual, I think there is real value in this conversion. I just don't know the market value. I only know of one conversion from the UK but I don't think he's selling. My gut tells me that the value is around $150K - $200K range. I could also be smoking pot with the number. Nevertheless, this will be an interesting project.

·
Registered
Gated Giallo Midas
169 Posts
I don't see you losing at all and only see a gain!
Gated conversion or gated from factory, they are still quite rare to come by.
Definately gving the car emotion and not just visual cosmetic changes suited for personal taste which I think would lower the value.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would venture a $100k premium. The people that are paying the big money for the gated LP manuals are doing so for the provenance of the rarity. Any more than that, it seems like a hard sell over an original preLP gated manual. Either way, thats an impressive swap, many have attempted but ive yet to see a successful one done in the US

·
Registered
33 Posts
Fellow Canadian that’s great. Where are you sending it to? I’ll be converting my SV, in fact, I left a deposit for it today. The value is there no doubt. You will make money on this conversion even if it didn’t come gated from factory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just dropped off my LP 640 for manual conversion. Will be dropping a used manual transmission. I will provide more details as we are gathering more parts for the conversion. I also plan to inspect and replace any parts that are worn or require replacing via Preventative Maintenance.

Current Specs:
2007 LP640 Nardo Grey
14,000 miles
Black interior
DTP Exhaust
Primary Cat Delete
2WD conversion
Reid Performance Intake
Flash tune

My question to the members is what added value would manual transmission conversion bring? Last year LP640 manual was acquired by Curated for $800K. Mileage unknown.
Would it add $150K in value to the vehicle? Or maybe more? Thoughts gentlemen?
The enjoyment you'll get from it, will be well worth the conversion. If its $100-150K for increased value....that can be the cherry on top. You'll end up never selling it anyway!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would venture a $100k premium. The people that are paying the big money for the gated LP manuals are doing so for the provenance of the rarity. Any more than that, it seems like a hard sell over an original preLP gated manual. Either way, thats an impressive swap, many have attempted but ive yet to see a successful one done in the US
Any idea what an original gated LP640 roadster go for these days? Would a conversion be worth more on one of those?

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
It's safe to say you'll get the cost of the conversion back and have a quicker sell. Swapping the Murci is a major ordeal (unlike Gallardo or single clutch Ferrari) so I could see there being a premium for an already built car vs. going through the swap itself (and sourcing the parts).

·
Registered
578 Posts
Nimo, what shop in Canada is doing the conversion? I’m interested in watching the process.

SkankSV, do you happen to live in Peachland BC with a white Murci SV? I have the twin white Murci SV to that one. I thought Canada only had two Murci SV left!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
In the comic book market, you can take a non restored CGC Good graded Amazing Fantasy #15(first appearance of Spider-Man), a $10k value and pay $2k in restoration to get it into a NM near mint 9.0. Your restored comic will only sell between $10k and $12K. It will not get the $100k an unrestored NM would get.

I think a converted Murci would get the cost of a preconverted Murci plus the materials and labor.
Another thing you should make note of, is the mileage of the new engine. A new buyer will ask that.

fyi
If a conversion of a Murci costs $30k and can get a bump of even $60k, every Tom, Richard and Harry would be doing a swap.

just my rambling opinion

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In the comic book market, you can take a non restored CGC Good graded Amazing Fantasy #1(first appearance of Spider-Man), a $10k value and pay $2k in restoration to get it into a NM near mint 9.0. Your restored comic will only sell between $10k and $12K. It will not get the $100k an unrestored NM would get.

I think a converted Murci would get the cost of a preconverted Murci plus the materials and labor.
Another thing you should make note of, is the mileage of the new engine. A new buyer will ask that.

fyi
If a conversion of a Murci costs $30k and can get a bump of even $60k, every Tom, Richard and Harry would be doing a swap.

just my rambling opinion
The original engine isn't touched and has 14K miles. Only the tranny will be replaced with a manual. The cost is closer to $75K. Try finding a shop that will do the swap. You won't find one. The process will likely take 4 to 5 months. We are using an original manual transmission. There are lots of parts that go into this conversion. I will update the progress.

BTW, gated manual LP640 is around $600k to $800k depending on mileage and condition. E-gear LP is less than half that price. I think a well-done conversion with a good condition manual should fetch around $350K to $400K. After the conversion maybe I will test the market via BAT. I really don't plan on selling this beast.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
The original engine isn't touched and has 14K miles. Only the tranny will be replaced with a manual. The cost is closer to $75K. Try finding a shop that will do the swap. You won't find one. The process will likely take 4 to 5 months. We are using an original manual transmission. There are lots of parts that go into this conversion. I will update the progress.

BTW, gated manual LP640 is around $600k to $800k depending on mileage and condition. E-gear LP is less than half that price. I think a well-done conversion with a good condition manual should fetch around $350K to $400K. After the conversion maybe I will test the market via BAT. I really don't plan on selling this beast.
I understand what you say.

That said, my egear arancio 06 Murci roadster low mileage car is currently valued between $170k-$200k. If I knew a $100k conversion would get me $400k, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I understand what you say.

That said, my egear arancio 06 Murci roadster low mileage car is currently valued between $170k-$200k. If I knew a $100k conversion would get me $400k, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

good luck
What I think and what anyone else thinks is just a pie in the sky until I test the water in the market, which I plan to do soon after the conversion. Once again my real intention isn't to sell the Murcie. I do want to drive it and enjoy my Lambo. Just a side note, I really enjoy my manual cars, one of which is a 997.2 GT3RS and Murcie is the only car that isn't a manual and I really want to change this. I tried finding a good manual LP and it ain't easy as so few were produced. This is the next best thing to a factory manual car so I'm going to blow some cash and enjoy.

·
Registered
2006 LP640
87 Posts

This gentleman has done it in HK with an LP-670 SV, all original parts apparently. As no RHD units were ever produced (I think?) this one would fetch a pretty penny..

Very keen to understand what you actually need to change @Nimo - it should be relatively straight forward once the right parts are found?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

This gentleman has done it in HK with an LP-670 SV, all original parts apparently. As no RHD units were ever produced (I think?) this one would fetch a pretty penny..

Very keen to understand what you actually need to change @Nimo - it should be relatively straight forward once the right parts are found?
I will provide as much info as possible with pictures. The shop is only 5 min away from my office. While the engine is out, I plan to do as much PM work as possible.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts