Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and thanks in advance. I am looking for advice and opinions regarding the LP 640 egear , specifically what are your thoughts regarding this models depreciation ? Have they passed full depreciation and starting to appreciate or they at the bottom of the curve ? The car to me seems like an incredible value compared to its original base msrp as well a model to enjoy and not have to stomach much depreciation........thanks for your thoughts and also was curious about any factory options people may think is important for this car.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It is impossible to say whether or not E-Gear LP640's are at the 'bottom' of the depreciation curve however it is safe to say that most or possibly all of the depreciation has occurred with these cars and that it is unlikely that you would lose much money if you bought one (maintenance and running costs excluded). You may get lucky and have the car go up in value but I would not expect that either. Realistically the cars are near the bottom of what they will be worth so depreciation should not be a concern.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
LP's will always do better than earlier cars unless their gated. I just purchased an LP Roadster with e-gear and I agree with the above poster regarding the depreciation and that we are probably safe. I however do think they will go up in value as long as you don't put a ton of miles on it but the curve will be much slower to increase in value than their manual counterparts. I figured this was a good time to buy and was watching the market for over 1.5 years waiting for the right car.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies ,also is there a favored color for these cars ? I Was thinking the brighter colors are more in favor?

·
Registered
285 Posts
LP's will always do better than earlier cars unless their gated. I just purchased an LP Roadster with e-gear and I agree with the above poster regarding the depreciation and that we are probably safe. I however do think they will go up in value as long as you don't put a ton of miles on it but the curve will be much slower to increase in value than their manual counterparts. I figured this was a good time to buy and was watching the market for over 1.5 years waiting for the right car.

Best of luck!
They all will Eventually go up in Value

The Gated will be Higher in Value

I think that the Roadsters are Under Valued, there is probably about 650 left in the entire world from 899 totally Produced

And appox 3,400 Murcialago left from 4,099 total production including Coupes and Roadsters

Maybe someone has more accurate figures

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Raging, I agree on the Roadsters as well... that's why I went with one even though E-gear. I actually like the e-gear and if you treat them right they can be great cars!

·
Registered
477 Posts
They all will Eventually go up in Value

The Gated will be Higher in Value

I think that the Roadsters are Under Valued, there is probably about 650 left in the entire world from 899 totally Produced

And appox 3,400 Murcialago left from 4,099 total production including Coupes and Roadsters

Maybe someone has more accurate figures
According to wiki, only 121 2006 Murci roadsters were built. That’s the model I bought. I assume only 60 were sold to the US. Rare numbers from a collectors point of view.

ProductionEdit

YearUnitsCoupéRoadster
2001[43]6565-
2002[43]442442-
2003[44]424424-
2004[44]38430480
2005[45]464230234
2006[45]444323121
2007[46]629423206
2008[46]637454183
2009[47]33127457
2010[47]16314518
Total3,9833,084899

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just because the roadster is rare does not mean it will be a future collectable. Rarity is only part of the equation and there are lots of others. I can point to a ton of really rare cars that are not worth anything. What will be collectible or valuable in the future cannot be accurately predicted. I personally think that roadsters will always be worth less because the coupe is the ethos of the sportscar and chopped top versions (rather than dedicated convertible designs) are generally seen as a compromise to appease part of the market. If anything the coupes buoy the values of the roadsters despite their rarity.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just because the roadster is rare does not mean it will be a future collectable. Rarity is only part of the equation and there are lots of others. I can point to a ton of really rare cars that are not worth anything. What will be collectible or valuable in the future cannot be accurately predicted. I personally think that roadsters will always be worth less because the coupe is the ethos of the sportscar and chopped top versions (rather than dedicated convertible designs) are generally seen as a compromise to appease part of the market. If anything the coupes buoy the values of the roadsters despite their rarity.
I’ve been in the collectibles market for 3 decades... there’s a common thread that drives values... scarcity and rarity and demand

I have comic books that were produced in quantity (1930s and 1940s), yet today, there’s only 20-30 copies in existence. They are now worth 6 figures.

Look at American muscle cars of the 60s and 70s, convertibles carry a premium because their production numbers were low. Anything less than 5000 annual units is considered low. Anything under 1000 is rare. Anything under 500 is extremely rare.

hence, I use those comps to say an 06 Murci roadster (125 made world wide) is extremely rare.

however, that said, Lamborghinis have a different collectors market. The average auto collector is priced out of the market. Thus rarity and scarcity get muted in terms of price appreciation.

liquidity is thin, making investing in exotics a tough slog. The best the average exotic owner can do is to purchase low production vehicles and to take care of them and pray you get to sell them for a minimal loss.

·
Registered
477 Posts
One more point I forgot to mention... the closest comp is the Diablo vs Diablo Roadster

the roadster is 2X the price of a Diablo coup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts