Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had experience with rebuilding or the cost associated with rebuilding the gear box on the LP 5000 S Countach. The reason I ask is that unfortunately I have lost the throw-out bearing assembly in my 1984 Countach ELA12706 and everything is apart. I want to be quite through with things at this point but do not wish to add to any unneeded expenses in this project. The car has few miles on it but I have noticed a little bit of possible wear on the synchomesh for second gear, when the gear lube in the transmission is relatively cold. Thanks in advance, Victor :confused:

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Victor,
I have had my 2nd gear syncro changed as well ( CT 12704 !!) I am told it is quite a normal problem when cold, as soon as it all warms up it is great, I really do not notice any difference now from before it was changed, when the car is hot.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
You don't need to change synchros.
A push on the throttle while in neutral position is all you need.
On my QV this works perfect, on the Jalpa I did it for some tousand miles and now second goes in without problems even in coldest winter...

It's not the technic it's the technique of driving...

Raymond

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Raymond, a question. Given a temperature of say 15dg C how long would you expect your gearbox to take to get to a good operating temperature.
( Assuming sensible cold engine driving )
Mine takes about 5 of 6 kilometers

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I think more, as soon as the engine oil is warm enough the gearbox will be too.
Gearbox oil has a complete different consistency, it might heat up faster, but needs at least 10 Kilometers.

·
Registered
299 Posts
In my QV i go from 1st to 3rdfor the first 5-10 min. of driving - did the same with my 2.5 urraco - drovethat one for over km 100.000 and never had any issues. When downshifting always double clutch with a blip of throttle in between - slides right in. - especially in 1st.

Alex

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again to all responses, I will leave things alone as the issue only seems to be apparent during the first 10 minuites of driving. Hey Terryjoint :wave: I know from your previous posts to Tonylambo the former owner of (ELA12706) that your Countach was build right before mine (small world ELA12704 in Spain and ELA12706 in Grayson Georgia). I was wondering seeing that you had the engine/transmission out of your car how was the throw out bearing? The reason I ask is that I know of two 1984 model year Countaches that had failure in the throw out bearing, it seems that they possibly did not get the proper heat treatment during manufactured. Just curious on how yours may have looked, mine pulled right threw the collar section :(

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Vic,
Yes small world is it not. I am afraid I cannot help there as the car had a new clutch fitted just before I bought it. Lamborghini Madrid suggested changing the 2nd Gear Syncro and in my ignorance I went with them, need not have bothered !
As soon as the car is warm the changes are great, as the others have said just blip the throttle between downshifts and all is smooth.
Hope yours is as much fun as mine, what colour is yours ? mine is black on black.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is red, I thought you might have seen the pictures of it as Tonylambo had posted them in the garage area of this forum (take a look under Tonylambo in the garage section). I was enjoying the car up untill the unforseen mishap with the throw-out bearing, fortunately when it broke I had already made it to my destination so it did not present bigger problems like sitting in the middle of a busy intersection. I have seen the pictures of your car it is very nice and I am glad to have chatted with you knowing that your Countach was built right before mine now I will have to try to find its younger sister ELA12708, Have a great day Terry :wave: I'll talk to you later Sincerely Victor.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Hey Victor, sorry to hear about that :(
Most of them do that in 2nd just to add my 2 cents. But like said here before, when warmed up it goes away.
Hope you had a great holiday, and get the car back soon. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Tony, It just one of those things that happen after all it is a 20+ year old car now. I had accepted the fact that there would be certain hurdles to overcome in owning an exotic and that these hurdles are test of a new owners patience. I have developed considerable patience over the years as owning a Countach had been a dream of mine since the early 80's. I am always thankfull for your assistance in helping me achive my dream car :) and when the car is finished it will be perfect in every way. Sincerely Vic

1 - 13 of 13 Posts