Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Im trying to research lowering options for my 580-2 with front axel lift, no magnetic ride.

I know Novitec makes a kit

KW and H&R both have adjustable height spring but they don't specify if they work with the 2wd car only the 4wd car.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations with those or other kits in general?
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a 610-4 and from what I have gathered the only kit that will work with non mag ride is the Novitec option.

17 Posts
We are working on a no compromise (performance and function) front lift option for our Ohlins TTX Stage II coilovers for the Gallardo LP's. 1-2 months away. Huracan afterward.

Lowering springs you ask about are problematic for the behavior (steering, ride and handling) of your Gallardo or otherwise. The lowering springs are noticeably more stiff than stock to keep from bottoming the suspension with less available travel (due to lowering) on bigger bumps (and the Gallardos are very limited on front travel in stock form). A spring rate increase should also have a similar damping level (shock behavior) increase. The relationship between the stiffnesses, mass and damping in the system are critical and us chassis/vehicle dynamic engineers call it Damping Ratio. See SPC's video recently posted at the 7 min 11 sec mark where I said, "that's understeer" when driving his Super Trofeo on an 80 mph corner with Swift lowering springs on it before our change to our Ohlins TTX's to get a baseline. I was surprised by the lack of steering weight, feel and lack of grip. I should not have remotely lost front grip in that corner. See the link below for SPC's post and video.

·
Registered
149 Posts
We are working on a no compromise (performance and function) front lift option for our Ohlins TTX Stage II coilovers for the Gallardo LP's. 1-2 months away. Huracan afterward.

Lowering springs you ask about are problematic for the behavior (steering, ride and handling) of your Gallardo or otherwise. The lowering springs are noticeably more stiff than stock to keep from bottoming the suspension with less available travel (due to lowering) on bigger bumps (and the Gallardos are very limited on front travel in stock form). A spring rate increase should also have a similar damping level (shock behavior) increase. The relationship between the stiffnesses, mass and damping in the system are critical and us chassis/vehicle dynamic engineers call it Damping Ratio. See SPC's video recently posted at the 7 min 11 sec mark where I said, "that's understeer" when driving his Super Trofeo on an 80 mph corner with Swift lowering springs on it before our change to our Ohlins TTX's to get a baseline. I was surprised by the lack of steering weight, feel and lack of grip. I should not have remotely lost front grip in that corner. See the link below for SPC's post and video.

Are you saying that we shouldn't be putting lowering springs on our cars?

17 Posts
Correct. The lowering springs alone are harmful to steering, ride and handling of these great cars.

I was giving the reasoning because I know they are very popular.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
For those who don't know, Scott was the lead chassis engineer for Ford on the FGT's in 2005/2006. I got a set of his shocks for my FGT and after driving the car with these new shocks installed, I can say he obviously knows what he's doing!

·
Registered
17' SV Roadster, Performante Spyder, 458 Spyder
266 Posts
Are you saying that novitec lowering springs and spacers are bad for a performante? How so?

17 Posts
Are you saying that novitec lowering springs and spacers are bad for a performante? How so?
Any lowering springs that lower the car over ~3/8” that require then a noticeable increase in stiffness to keep the suspension from not bottoming often without a corresponding damping increase is bad for steering, ride and handling. See my explanation above in post 5 of this thread. And Vahid’s SPC video.

Didn’t say anything about spacers. Increased track width is good for handling performance. But doing it with spacers increases the scrub radius and spindle length that us chassis design engineers work hard to minimize...all modern cars have pretty flat face wheels
for a reason.

We minimize the scrub and spindle length because they increase the lever arm and resultant forces on the suspension (hubs, joints and linkages), to maximize steering wheel feel/consistency, minimize steering wheel kick back from bumps, minimize tire wear and rut following/wandering.

The rear spacers have less impact on the behavior of the steering and handling than front spacers.

I understand the aesthetic reasons for both. Just giving you the vehicle dynamics reasons why they are harmful to the behavior and life of your car.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Correct. The lowering springs alone are harmful to steering, ride and handling of these great cars.

I was giving the reasoning because I know they are very popular.
Are you going to offer a product for the Huracan that is retains the suspension and steering characteristics of the car?

17 Posts
Are you going to offer a product for the Huracan that is retains the suspension and steering characteristics of the car?
Yes. We are starting work on this where the front lift is part of the development. We intend to design around 0.75 inch (20 mm down) lowering of the car to be able to maintain the stock ride feel, enough usable travel for big bumps, with better steering, handling and rough road grip. Does this meet your needs?

Depending on the lift kit and space required we may have to go with a piggyback reservoir like we did with SPC's car. The primary issue with this is interference with the stock inner fender liner and the need for modification of the liner. However, we are looking closely at a lift option that is far more compact and doesn't require liner modification.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes. We are starting work on this where the front lift is part of the development. We intend to design around 0.75 inch (20 mm down) lowering of the car to be able to maintain the stock ride feel, enough usable travel for big bumps, with better steering, handling and rough road grip. Does this meet your needs?

Depending on the lift kit and space required we may have to go with a piggyback reservoir like we did with SPC's car. The primary issue with this is interference with the stock inner fender liner and the need for modification of the liner. However, we are looking closely at a lift option that is far more compact and doesn't require liner modification.
Yes am interested as I don't want to go any lower than .75 inch

17 Posts
Yes am interested as I don't want to go any lower than .75 inch
Sounds good. Certainly wouldn't need to go that low if you wanted 0.5" lower or otherwise. Do you need the front end lift? Ohlins does not offer their lift option in the aftermarket so we are reviewing two other options.

·
Registered
2015 Huracan 610-4
9 Posts
Hey guys,

Im trying to research lowering options for my 580-2 with front axel lift, no magnetic ride.

I know Novitec makes a kit

KW and H&R both have adjustable height spring but they don't specify if they work with the 2wd car only the 4wd car.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations with those or other kits in general?
Thanks for your help
Hey Steve... I have a brand new set of Novitec springs for non-magnetic ride Huracan 580. I ordered the wrong ones and now I own them. If you're interested in them, shoot me a message. I am going to take a loss on them I know... Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Steve... I have a brand new set of Novitec springs for non-magnetic ride Huracan 580. I ordered the wrong ones and now I own them. If you're interested in them, shoot me a message. I am going to take a loss on them I know... Thanks!
I sent you a pm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts