Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gents, hopefully someone knowledgeable can can chime in and help.

I was out for a drive in my 04, e-gear and while driving the car went limp and I lost throttle response.

I pulled over and shut the car off, no smoke, smell, nothing aside from losing throttle. There are no dash light symbols on, The car radio, AC, lights, all turn on. I can shift the car from N to 1, and from N to R. Just cranks, engine won’t fire.

I have a good shop that I towed it to and they believe it’s a ground corrosion / battery issue. They checked and cleaned up a few ground points on the driver side rear of the car, as well as 3 ECUs behind driver seat and all tested to be working fine.

Unfortunately this shop is super slammed and doesn’t have the space to store my car and cannot work on my car for a few weeks.

Anything I can check in the meantime? Thank you In advance.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Not much to go on, first thing in any car check if you have spark and fuel. Pull a spark plug and check the fire. Put a fuel pressure gauge at the fuel rail or partly remove the bolt and crank to see if fuel is delivered.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
11.3v on the dash.

When I turn the key to the aux position I hear whirling (like the fans), everything seems to be fine up until I turn the key to fire the car. I dont hear the fuel pumps, The starter tries and just keeps going and that point where the engine fires up doesn’t happen.

Also, when you turn the key, what voltage is displayed on the dash?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had something similar happen to my 04 murci right after I bought it. It turned out to be a faulty exhaust temp sensor - the sensor failed and was reading a maxed out value, so the engine though it was pumping out extremely high EGTs and it threw the car into limp mode.
Mine went into limp mode and then would not start again even though battery etc was all fine.
If you plug in a generic OBD2 reader and try to clear the codes it would let it restart. Also try cutting the battery off with the manual switch if the OBD2 doesn't work.
Hook up the lambo computer once you can get the car started and compare the exhaust temp probe values that it's reporting.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Agree with limp mode possibly being from one of the thermocouples (temp sensors) in the exhaust.

Drive the car. If it goes into limp mode again, hop out and look at the exhaust (on each side of the engine) and see if either cat is glowing red. The Murci cats have a tendency to degrade over time and get clogged, then overheat and set off the temp sensors and put the car in limp mode. That will help you find out if there is actually an issue with the car or getting false triggers (if limp mode is based on exhaust temp).

The other could be water temp. Did you look and see if your water temp gauge was in the red when the car was in limp mode?

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Agree with limp mode possibly being from one of the thermocouples (temp sensors) in the exhaust.

Drive the car. If it goes into limp mode again, hop out and look at the exhaust (on each side of the engine) and see if either cat is glowing red. The Murci cats have a tendency to degrade over time and get clogged, then overheat and set off the temp sensors and put the car in limp mode. That will help you find out if there is actually an issue with the car or getting false triggers (if limp mode is based on exhaust temp).

The other could be water temp. Did you look and see if your water temp gauge was in the red when the car was in limp mode?
The OP says after the car shut down, he can no longer start the vehicle.

are you saying erroneous temp sensors can prevent a car from starting up?

or are you saying the erroneous temp sensor caused the shutdown and now the vehicle is in a state that needs codes cleared/reset in order to restart?

·
Registered
448 Posts
The OP says after the car shut down, he can no longer start the vehicle.

are you saying erroneous temp sensors can prevent a car from starting up?

or are you saying the erroneous temp sensor caused the shutdown and now the vehicle is in a state that needs codes cleared/reset in order to restart?
Mine would not restart after going into limp mode, until I cleared the ECU with the OBD2 reader, then it would fire right up.
I was suggesting there is a broken exhaust temp sensor - that is, EGTs are perfectly normal but the sensor fails and outputs the max value that it can read.
White out is suggesting that the temp sensor itself is fine and the issue is the cat is actually overheating, then the sensor reads the (correct) very high temp and throws it into limp. Both are possibilities. OP can do a quick test and advise shortly.
In my case, we were reading the temps off the cat with a lazer thermometer and seeing the values varied radically from both left to right and from the thermometer to what the ECU was reading, so it was clear it was a sensor issue. It could also be an actual physical problem with the cat causing high EGTs.

Reactions: AngelOfMurci

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hey guys, so kept the car on battery tender all night. Reads 11.6V

also, I plugged OBDII reader and no Codes. Possibly the shop cleared already? And no stores codes.

Car still won’t fire up. Noticing that at crank the v drops to 8.6v

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Battery needs to be over 12 volts for sure. 12.6 is the average to start a car. Start with the cheap stuff, a battery is cheap and at 11.6 it's no good. Doesn't mean it's the issue from starting the car but more than likely the battery is kaput.

Also a tender is not made to recharge a low battery it's to maintain it when it has been fully charged. If you tender a low battery you will sulphate it which destroys it. To charge a battery you need a charger with 15 amps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, so kept the car on battery tender all night. Reads 11.6V

also, I plugged OBDII reader and no Codes. Possibly the shop cleared already? And no stores codes.

Car still won’t fire up. Noticing that at crank the v drops to 8.6v
Hey did you ever figure out that no start? im in the same boat right now and could use some help ???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts