Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The other day, Hari jogged my memory when he mentioned that a door mirror glass seemed to "shimmer" on his Balboni-edition.

My left mirror (passenger side here) was doing something similar and then I noticed, when driving today, that it was flapping around a lot more than before. I thought perhaps the glass plastic backing was becoming unclipped from the mirror motor platform (four clips).

In fact, the mirror glass had come away from the plastic backing. In the first picture, you can see the yellow area where adhesive has been exposed to air for some time. The white area was still adhered, no doubt helped by the two wires for the heater element.

It was easy to reach in with a plastic stick having a wedge-shaped end (part of a smartphone-opening tool kit) and gently ease the last of the adhesive off the backing plate. Then I used a small screwdriver to push off the wire connectors while holding the spade terminal against the glass - not wanting to tear it off the plastic film heating element.

The backing plate comes off by releasing four clips with a screwdriver. The plastic was in good condition, showing no signs of distortion or broken clips. My guess is that 'SGD' stands for Sinestra, Guido Destra - left side, right-hand-drive. The left mirror of a left-hand-drive car will have a different angle of view... bit of trivia there... I see that USA cars have writing on the mirror 'Objects are closer than they appear' or similar; mine is just a plain blue-tinted mirror.

To reattach the glass, I considered applying contact glue or polurethane sealant etc. but decided it would likely be difficult to get an even layer and would be a mess around the edges. So I chose to use double-sided trim mounting tape (3M) in the stronger grade with the red liner (the green is the weaker grade). Trimmed it reasonably well and attached the glass, then reconnected the wires and popped it back into place. Done.

I love a day when something is fixed, however trivial it is. Maybe double-sided foam tape is considered a bodge by some people? But at least the backing plate can still be popped off the mounting as intended, when the need arises. I know it's not as exciting as rebuilding an engine but thanks for reading :)

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Couldn't resist also showing a photo from today's drive in the countryside... the giant cow recently constructed at Morrinsville (with money gifted by a local gentleman who passed away)... it's just so typically NZ-country-town!

-Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
The other day, Hari jogged my memory when he mentioned that a door mirror glass seemed to "shimmer" on his Balboni-edition.

My left mirror (passenger side here) was doing something similar and then I noticed, when driving today, that it was flapping around a lot more than before. I thought perhaps the glass plastic backing was becoming unclipped from the mirror motor platform (four clips).

In fact, the mirror glass had come away from the plastic backing. In the first picture, you can see the yellow area where adhesive has been exposed to air for some time. The white area was still adhered, no doubt helped by the two wires for the heater element.

It was easy to reach in with a plastic stick having a wedge-shaped end (part of a smartphone-opening tool kit) and gently ease the last of the adhesive off the backing plate. Then I used a small screwdriver to push off the wire connectors while holding the spade terminal against the glass - not wanting to tear it off the plastic film heating element.

The backing plate comes off by releasing four clips with a screwdriver. The plastic was in good condition, showing no signs of distortion or broken clips. My guess is that 'SGD' stands for Sinestra, Guido Destra - left side, right-hand-drive. The left mirror of a left-hand-drive car will have a different angle of view... bit of trivia there... I see that USA cars have writing on the mirror 'Objects are closer than they appear' or similar; mine is just a plain blue-tinted mirror.

To reattach the glass, I considered applying contact glue or polurethane sealant etc. but decided it would likely be difficult to get an even layer and would be a mess around the edges. So I chose to use double-sided trim mounting tape (3M) in the stronger grade with the red liner (the green is the weaker grade). Trimmed it reasonably well and attached the glass, then reconnected the wires and popped it back into place. Done.

I love a day when something is fixed, however trivial it is. Maybe double-sided foam tape is considered a bodge by some people? But at least the backing plate can still be popped off the mounting as intended, when the need arises. I know it's not as exciting as rebuilding an engine but thanks for reading :)
Thanks for the post. I think you are braver than I am. Might get an independent mechanic to look at it while I'm getting the front grill replaced.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the post. I think you are braver than I am. Might get an independent mechanic to look at it while I'm getting the front grill replaced.
Cheers, no worries, sometimes it's easier to pass it to someone else and I do understand. I just get a kick out of little fixes. Next on my hit list is a creak from the dash which I think is between the radio unit and the toggle switch panel.

-Alex

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cheers, no worries, sometimes it's easier to pass it to someone else and I do understand. I just get a kick out of little fixes. Next on my hit list is a creak from the dash which I think is between the radio unit and the toggle switch panel.

-Alex
I would love to fix it myself and was thinking about it - but the downside is that if i break the mirror its quite a bit of $$ to replace and I would hate to have my mechanic tell me he would have fixed it in 5 mins for nothing.
LOL. I have the same creak too (just once in a while when weather is hot). Send me the list of your issues that you fix. I will copy/paste !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts