Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there are lots of discussions about this. Many owners quoting dealers, which already have a conflict of interest.

So, I asked the European Commission about the commission implementing decision.

It looks like Lamborghini is granted an exemption from the specific emissions target for years 2020 and 2021. That's because Lamborghini operates its own production facility and design centre and that it is responsible for fewer than 10000 new passenger cars registered in the EU per calendar year.

The exemption is for 2020 and 2021 only. No word on other years yet.

Here are the emission targets related to Lamborghini:

Specific emissions target in g CO2 /km:
2020: 302
2021: 299

This is what EU generally says (excluding exemptions):

This is what Lamborghini says on its website for Huracan Evo

This is for Aventador:

This is for Urus:

I'm not an expert on this subject. To me it looks like when the exemptions expire, an era is really closing.

I hope that's not the case. Can somebody correct me?

·
Registered
111 Posts
The GPF issue would be resolved by switching out for an aftermarket exhaust right? Or am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
It's more involved than just changing exhaust, I know on some of the Ferrari's they haven't been able to remove, also most likely you start messing with it there goes your warranty

Reactions: LHP

·
Registered
265 Posts
GPF stands for Gasoline Particulate Filter. Nothing to do with C02.

Not sure if Lambo is skirting rules somewhere but maybe don't go around asking the European commission about cars not having GPF. Some of us havent got our cars yet or worse don't want a mandatory recall to install GPF because it was supposed to have one

Reactions: shack

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
It's more involved than just changing exhaust, I know on some of the Ferrari's they haven't been able to remove, also most likely you start messing with it there goes your warranty
Until it can be done with the F8 without throwing CEL's, requiring a tune or voiding warranty I'm a skeptic.

Looks like Porsche has the scale to sell non-GPF cars in North America and GPF cars in Europe.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
17,453 Posts
GPF stands for Gasoline Particulate Filter. Nothing to do with C02.

Not sure if Lambo is skirting rules somewhere but maybe don't go around asking the European commission about cars not having GPF. Some of us havent got our cars yet or worse don't want a mandatory recall to install GPF because it was supposed to have one
A recall would be terrible! I am just hoping that we get a couple of more years before they screw up perfection. The exhaust note on the EVO is so incredible this might be the first time I don't feel the need to go with an aftermarket one. I cannot imagine Lamborghini diluting it with a GPF.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Will be interesting going forward how this impacts the different brands, whether there will be workarounds, and warranty issues. It is also my understanding that the GPF cannot be removed from the F8.

Particle pollution has recently received a lot of bad press, so it surprises me little that there’ll be tighter regulations - for as long as the ICE exists, anyway.

I’m not going to stress about something I can’t control. What’s the warranty on a STO? Three years? So I wait a bit to put something aftermarket on. Whoop-de-do.

The ‘premium’ of an earlier model w/o GPF will quickly lose its advantage anyway, and I wouldn’t pay more for an older, ‘rare’ model.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,463 Posts
No way they will have to pry the EVO out of my cold dead hands.........before they retrofit a GPF. As mentioned above if it means the warranty is voided if I don't retrofit then that's only three years anyway. GPF = Increased Backpressure = Decreased Engine Longevity..........not to mention compromised engine sounds.

·
Registered
472 Posts
No way they will have to pry the EVO out of my cold dead hands.........before they retrofit a GPF. As mentioned above if it means the warranty is voided if I don't retrofit then that's only three years anyway. GPF = Increased Backpressure = Decreased Engine Longevity..........not to mention compromised engine sounds.
Yes, you hardcore non GPF guys, I could see how you’d flip out were there to be a recall, no matter how unlikely.

This isn’t something Lamborghini would decide to do on their own (my guess), but forced into. In FL there are no vehicle emissions testing (in fact, no testing at all), so I don’t see how the state could prevent an aftermarket were it to come to that.

I‘d think the Fchat website must have plenty of discussion on GPF as it relates to the F8, as many aftermarket designs are starting to appear.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
There is no way we would see a recall to add a GPF, that is not a little something like doing some software update to change emissions.

Reactions: WD3

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,463 Posts
^^Good to hear but even it were to happen I would be noncompliant and if push came to shove I would sell the EVO before allowing the mutilation of said car. ;)

·
Registered
2021 Huracan Evo RWD Spyder (ordered, April 2021 delivery)
352 Posts
I think the commenters concern was that if EC could somehow impose GPF on cars not yet delivered. IMO that’s not a significant risk but he is right that asking such questions should be avoided...

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
17,453 Posts
^^Good to hear but even it were to happen I would be noncompliant and if push came to shove I would sell the EVO before allowing the mutilation of said car. ;)
I can't imagine there would be a recall, but if there was I would do whatever it takes to not be compliant. The problem is that when you bring it in for required service they usually do any recall or software upgrades. I would be very upset if I got the car back it sounded like crap.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,463 Posts
Doubtful Lambo would dictate wholesale exhaust hardware changes involved with retrofitting GPF's. More practical to sell new MY with GPF factory-installed.
Well if they do mandate retrofitting of the EVO how about an even trade.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Would every ICE car need to be brought in to have a GPF added? Never going to happen and not worth worrying about. Just like how it is now in emission testing standards would be set by year car was built

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,463 Posts
Would every ICE car need to be brought in to have a GPF added? Never going to happen and not worth worrying about. Just like how it is now in emission testing standards would be set by year car was built
I agree it's unlikely but it is an interesting debate. Both you and @surfah have a solid arguments against a retrofit both the cost and adding the GPF is more practical during the EVO assembly. Though one thing is clear I am sticking with my 2021 model for a while........that is, I am pretty sure. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The exemption is for 2021 and 2022 only. No word on other years yet.
I made a mistake on above one. The lamborghini exemption is for 2020 and 2021 only.

It appears like there are penalties for not hitting the targets. That's about 100 EUR per extra g. Considering evo has 332 g - about 232g over the EU target -, that's gonna cost about 23000 EUR fine per huracan delivered in 2022. And it looks like EU is taking this seriously considering they gave lamborghini's parent company some fines already.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.