Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to the forum but after years of work and discipline I finally may be in reach of a dream of mine. I'm now looking to purchase a gallardo! I have looked online, ebay and classifieds, but have noticed pricing being all over the place. I came here in hopes of having some questions answered. As background info goes I'm located in Montana and no where near a dealer for lamborghini. I was looking for a used vehicle but was hoping for info on what to look for and what to stay away from, this will be my first exotic super car so any info is very appreciated. I'm also looking for information on the front lift system, as to what cars it comes on stock and if possible to install it on any year as I will need that up here in Montana. I'm hoping to spend around 100k and hoping that is realistic in today's market? Seen a few 06 to 08 for sale in that range. Even a supperleggra but that has 111,000 miles on it which just seems like I should stay away from that lol. Look forward to talking with some of you and thank you for your time

·
Registered
774 Posts
Welcome! There's actually some previously posted great information on here you can search for. But some tidbits:

1) Retrofitting the front lift isn't worth it. Buy a car that already has it. It was available starting 06 and I'd say almost all of them had it (in fact, I thought it was a standard option, but could be wrong). Definitely, don't own one without it, your bumper will thank you.

2) If you're planning to drive this thing, it should have averaged about 2k miles a year. That would usually get you a well sorted out G, esp if maintenance was followed through. 1k a year is a garage queen and we have seem more issues with cars with fewer miles than average ones.

3) 100k is going to be tough for an 06+. The G has actually gone UP in prices in the past 2 years comparatively, with the 04s seeing the biggest movement (however, that's because they had reached their lowest levels and are now going back up due to collectors, etc having the cash for them, but not enough for say an 06+). Yes stay away from the 110k one, but good to know they can go that high!

Just note, the reason why pricing is all over the place is these cars condition can be all over the place. What are some variables that increase values?

1) Clutch life left.
2) How many owners? At this point, many of these Gs are seeing 7-8+ owners. Not the worst thing, but you'll be paying a premium on <4 owners.
3) Original Paint? Modifications? Full history? That all plays a part in value.
4) Wear/Tear, tire condition (new tires can add 1k+ to the price), Reverse Camera? Options like Travel Package (cupholders), Label package (Lamb crest on seats and script on dashboard), Power Seat Package (heated and powered w/ Lumbar), also add a bit to the car's price.

Finally, add 10% to whatever you'll be spending to factor in maintenance and a possible clutch job. If 10% more is too much to be comfortable, then it's too much car.

Montana is great "big sky" country, look for a convertible, you'll probably enjoy it tons more, unless you want to track it (which basically on a few folks do), then a coupe is your best bet.

·
Registered
LP 550-2 Spyder | FI Titanium exhaust | Swift Sport Springs | Fabspeed ECU Tune
78 Posts
Welcome! There's actually some previously posted great information on here you can search for. But some tidbits:

1) Retrofitting the front lift isn't worth it. Buy a car that already has it. It was available starting 06 and I'd say almost all of them had it (in fact, I thought it was a standard option, but could be wrong). Definitely, don't own one without it, your bumper will thank you.

2) If you're planning to drive this thing, it should have averaged about 2k miles a year. That would usually get you a well sorted out G, esp if maintenance was followed through. 1k a year is a garage queen and we have seem more issues with cars with fewer miles than average ones.

3) 100k is going to be tough for an 06+. The G has actually gone UP in prices in the past 2 years comparatively, with the 04s seeing the biggest movement (however, that's because they had reached their lowest levels and are now going back up due to collectors, etc having the cash for them, but not enough for say an 06+). Yes stay away from the 110k one, but good to know they can go that high!

Just note, the reason why pricing is all over the place is these cars condition can be all over the place. What are some variables that increase values?

1) Clutch life left.
2) How many owners? At this point, many of these Gs are seeing 7-8+ owners. Not the worst thing, but you'll be paying a premium on <4 owners.
4) Wear/Tear, tire condition (new tires can add 1k+ to the price), Reverse Camera? Options like Travel Package (cupholders), Label package (Lamb crest on seats and script on dashboard), Power Seat Package (heated and powered w/ Lumbar), also add a bit to the car's price.

Finally, add 10% to whatever you'll be spending to factor in maintenance and a possible clutch job. If 10% more is too much to be comfortable, then it's too much car.

Montana is great "big sky" country, look for a convertible, you'll probably enjoy it tons more, unless you want to track it (which basically on a few folks do), then a coupe is your best bet.
This is a great write-up and should get you far, Rich. '06-'08 cars with under 20k miles are priced around $110-120k, so your goal of $100k may be difficult without some compromises. Good luck on your quest and hope to see pics sometime.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It’s worth increasing your purchase budget to buy a sorted, well-maintained car vs soon spending the same amount (or more!) on parts & labour for a rougher example with a lower purchase price.
Lambo parts aren’t cheap…

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am not a lambo expert. Just a veteran import car guy who was in your same spot a few months ago. Im in Michigan and there is only one dealer far away from me.... So I bought my 2005 Manual 6 Gallardo off of bringatrailer. Mine has the front lift, OEM Nav radio, Manual gearbox :) and new tires for the price you are talking about. So it's possible. I think I could have saved $10k-$15k more if I had gotten a EGear... but an exotic without a manual gear change is just silly in my opinion. ;) I think I saved about 10-15% because of the online auction and higher miles. The car has 68k miles and I feel its just broken in. Doors slam solid. All latches and hatches are proper. The interior is in good shape for a 15 yr old Texas car. Theres crazies driving gallardos in Europe with 250k miles. I would look for a 2006-2008 G with about 15-25k miles on it. They seemed to be the most available right now and they seem to be a little more maintained and "gone though" in this mileage range.

Definitely get the front lift system. Its a life saver. Not to mention the ability to even get a floor jack under the car to work on it. I believe 06 and newer it came standard I think the only difference that I learned about them is later model LP have a separate system for the power steering and the lift control. I believe that eliminates some of the hoses and leak points.

I would try to get the OEM radio with a OEM backup camera too. My 06 has the OEM radio but no backup cam. :/ All other double din radios look like they are from the local BestBuy and dont flow with the Audi/Lambo aesthetics like the OEM design does. The OEM radios actual Navigation is laughably bad compared to my Escalades but it does "work.". Maybe thats why folks change it out for an aftermarket?

Side note:
Be careful when buying an Exotic Car from a "smaller " Auto Dealer. Mine went through 5 dealerships before being sold to me from Texas as a "2 owner". I guess you dont have to apply for a new title if you are just selling from Dealer to Dealer. So it was sold 6 times without being counted as a "change of ownership". The crazy part is the 5-6 different "dealers" put over 35K miles on it in about 8 years. The title had an extra sheet of paper stapled to it because it had no more room on the original title. So watch out for that. I did not find out until AFTER the sale was made. Would I still have bought it knowing all of this? Yes I would.

Im blabbering now... Hope some of this nonsense helps ya. :)

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a great write-up and should get you far, Rich. '06-'08 cars with under 20k miles are priced around $110-120k, so your goal of $100k may be difficult without some compromises. Good luck on your quest and hope to see pics sometime.

Thank you for sharing that, that is a great write up and thanks for the information!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

1) Clutch life left.

Awesome, thank you so much for the info and your time to write that up, very helpful!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not a lambo expert. Just a veteran import car guy who was in your same spot a few months ago. Im in Michigan and there is only one dealer far away from me.... So I bought my 2005 Manual 6 Gallardo off of bringatrailer. Mine has the front lift, OEM Nav radio, Manual gearbox :) and new tires for the price you are talking about. So it's possible. I think I could have saved $10k-$15k more if I had gotten a EGear... but an exotic without a manual gear change is just silly in my opinion. ;) I think I saved about 10-15% because of the online auction and higher miles. The car has 68k miles and I feel its just broken in. Doors slam solid. All latches and hatches are proper. The interior is in good shape for a 15 yr old Texas car. Theres crazies driving gallardos in Europe with 250k miles. I would look for a 2006-2008 G with about 15-25k miles on it. They seemed to be the most available right now and they seem to be a little more maintained and "gone though" in this mileage range.

Definitely get the front lift system. Its a life saver. Not to mention the ability to even get a floor jack under the car to work on it. I believe 06 and newer it came standard I think the only difference that I learned about them is later model LP have a separate system for the power steering and the lift control. I believe that eliminates some of the hoses and leak points.

I would try to get the OEM radio with a OEM backup camera too. My 06 has the OEM radio but no backup cam. :/ All other double din radios look like they are from the local BestBuy and dont flow with the Audi/Lambo aesthetics like the OEM design does. The OEM radios actual Navigation is laughably bad compared to my Escalades but it does "work.". Maybe thats why folks change it out for an aftermarket?

Side note:
Be careful when buying an Exotic Car from a "smaller " Auto Dealer. Mine went through 5 dealerships before being sold to me from Texas as a "2 owner". I guess you dont have to apply for a new title if you are just selling from Dealer to Dealer. So it was sold 6 times without being counted as a "change of ownership". The crazy part is the 5-6 different "dealers" put over 35K miles on it in about 8 years. The title had an extra sheet of paper stapled to it because it had no more room on the original title. So watch out for that. I did not find out until AFTER the sale was made. Would I still have bought it knowing all of this? Yes I would.

Im blabbering now... Hope some of this nonsense helps ya. :)

Good luck.
Thank you, I appreciate the info and experience you've had !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

1) Clutch life left.

Thank you for the reply I really appreciate all the info!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased a 2006 E gear one year ago. My Audi tech friend and I did all the service. Save a bunch. DIY oil change cost $100 in parts. Dealer would be $500.

·
Registered
2006 Gallardo SE
173 Posts
I would buy that yellow 2006 that just been posted on here in Chicago - What an absolute ripper of a car

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
The cars really did get better and better each model year, so the newer you can find/afford the better. Things worth mentioning that stand out in my head at least, 06 they changed the gearing and got rid of the silly tall 1st and 2nd gears, introduced the spyder, the lift system standard (for US market), new/improved throttle bodies, new/improved intake manifold, new mufflers, 07 and 08 they introduced threaded (replaceable) style ball joints in all the control arms like what's in the R8, later revision F clutches which last longer, and 08 in particular a new/improved air box. Of all of those things I find the new ball joints the most beneficial, means you can replace a ball joint for ~$100 instead of buying a new control arm for $2k or more as the car ages.

·
Registered
508 Posts

1) Clutch life left.

All good comments and again everyone has their personal preference right or wrong.
A key point missed in the above comments is having a proper PPI (pre purchase inspection) regardless of who seller is and what their maintenance records indicate.
Clutch snap a must and for reference you will see prices all over the map on here for clutch replacements and most of them are referring to dealer prices, I have owned multiple Lambos and none of them have every gone back to the dealer for anything. I am fortunate live in south florida lambo capital of the US if not the world and as a result there are plenty of well qualified non dealer shops for example OEM clutch $4,500 installed complete, dealer will be min of $8k. The part about driving only 2K a year is nonsense, then why even have one? I drive my exotics all the time and mileage is non issue for a G or even an Aventador.
Things to know/consider about the early years 04-08 egear pump replacements -need to know if this was done most do not last more 30K same for the AC compressor and its not because of use or non use, the AC compressor is packed in so tight around the exhaust system the heat gets to the bearings. Brakes-they are directly interchangeable with Audi OEM-same pads, I can buy a set of pads for my G installed for $400 those same pads as Lambo OEM are about $1k just for the pads.
Tires-can't stress enough how important this is, the pirelli's wear to a point and become like driving on ice, not uncommon to only get 12-15K miles out of the tires due to torque, etc. If the tires are more than 6-7 years regardless of miles ditch them, the side walls are seriously compromised. If you are in a cold weather state car needs to be started every 4-6 weeks and run until everything is up to full operating temp. Leaving it on a trickle charger does little other than save the battery. Never reverse up a hill, will destroy the clutch, same applies if the car needs to be towed do not drive it onto a flat bed-that is what the cable is for. Last not sure what state your in and emission (here in FL there are no emission check so pretty much 90%+ of all exotics have after market exhaust. Do not get one with straight pipes, your wife and neighbors will hate you for late night arrivals, constant dronning sound. Best of luck and most of all take your time, i spend months each time looking for a new rig. Lots of good people on here always willing to help -anything you needs just ask or dm me happy to help

·
Registered
774 Posts
The part about driving only 2K a year is nonsense, then why even have one? I drive my exotics all the time and mileage is non issue for a G or even an Aventador.
My mileage comment was in reference to the OP's consideration of buying a 111k mileage SL... or looking to only spend 100k for an 06-08. That would almost certainly put him into a 35k-50k+ mile car. These cars are pretty robust so that's not issue. The issue fair market value.

The OP can get a well sorted 06-08 for less than ~$110k with 10-25k miles. Frankly, a much better deal.

UNLESS he plans to put something 10k miles a year on it, then he should buy the cheapest one.

·
Registered
313 Posts
To add something to what others have posted about the various Gallardo years, I can't remember what year it was fixed, but at some point after 2006 they realized the ignition coils were designed poorly and would allow water intrusion that would erode the part of the coil that goes around the plug tip. It was definitely after '06 because mine ultimately had that issue and I had to replace all ten coils. Just something to be wary of because you could find a Gallardo that is not firing on all cylinders as a result of this issue, and it isn't particularly cheap to replace all ten coils. California cars may not have the issue because they almost never get rained on, but my Florida car I've driven in just about everything lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All good comments and again everyone has their personal preference right or wrong.
A key point missed in the above comments is having a proper PPI (pre purchase inspection) regardless of who seller is and what their maintenance records indicate.
Clutch snap a must and for reference you will see prices all over the map on here for clutch replacements and most of them are referring to dealer prices, I have owned multiple Lambos and none of them have every gone back to the dealer for anything. I am fortunate live in south florida lambo capital of the US if not the world and as a result there are plenty of well qualified non dealer shops for example OEM clutch $4,500 installed complete, dealer will be min of $8k. The part about driving only 2K a year is nonsense, then why even have one? I drive my exotics all the time and mileage is non issue for a G or even an Aventador.
Things to know/consider about the early years 04-08 egear pump replacements -need to know if this was done most do not last more 30K same for the AC compressor and its not because of use or non use, the AC compressor is packed in so tight around the exhaust system the heat gets to the bearings. Brakes-they are directly interchangeable with Audi OEM-same pads, I can buy a set of pads for my G installed for $400 those same pads as Lambo OEM are about $1k just for the pads.
Tires-can't stress enough how important this is, the pirelli's wear to a point and become like driving on ice, not uncommon to only get 12-15K miles out of the tires due to torque, etc. If the tires are more than 6-7 years regardless of miles ditch them, the side walls are seriously compromised. If you are in a cold weather state car needs to be started every 4-6 weeks and run until everything is up to full operating temp. Leaving it on a trickle charger does little other than save the battery. Never reverse up a hill, will destroy the clutch, same applies if the car needs to be towed do not drive it onto a flat bed-that is what the cable is for. Last not sure what state your in and emission (here in FL there are no emission check so pretty much 90%+ of all exotics have after market exhaust. Do not get one with straight pipes, your wife and neighbors will hate you for late night arrivals, constant dronning sound. Best of luck and most of all take your time, i spend months each time looking for a new rig. Lots of good people on here always willing to help -anything you needs just ask or dm me happy to help
Thanks for all the info, I'm still on my journey looking for the perfect car but definitely will be taking you up on dming you with questions haha

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My mileage comment was in reference to the OP's consideration of buying a 111k mileage SL... or looking to only spend 100k for an 06-08. That would almost certainly put him into a 35k-50k+ mile car. These cars are pretty robust so that's not issue. The issue fair market value.

The OP can get a well sorted 06-08 for less than ~$110k with 10-25k miles. Frankly, a much better deal.

UNLESS he plans to put something 10k miles a year on it, then he should buy the cheapest one.
I will definitely be putting 10k a year on it! Thanks for the info I appreciate it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts