Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I got in a small accident and the other party was at fault the police reports stated that as well
The other party’s adjuster claims the limit is 5 k
So I’m looking for a attorney that someone can refer me too
Unfortunately the car I was driving was not insured at the time
2017 Huracan
Please don’t judge
I know I should have kept the coverage till after the sale of the car but I failed too
The adjust first mentioned a higher amount now the adjuster says something else
I have tried to reach out to the other party no response , so I plan on suing for the repairs

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
How much is damage? Hiring an attorney not going to be cheap and may be just throwing more money out the window since doesnt seem like you have much of a case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m waiting for a estimate this week
Why would u say I don’t have much of a case the accident report states the other party is at fault and the other parties insurance is taking liability for the accident but there coverage only cover 5k so if I’m looking for more I will have to sue the registered owner of the car

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Seen this a lot in my state, MA, where we are required to have insurance and get hit from someone from NH who don’t have to have insurance. Even if they get a judgement against them collecting it is tough. That is why I carry extra insurance in case I get hit by an uninsured or under insured driver. Crazy that you drove car with no insurance

·
Registered
485 Posts
You didn’t mention the state you had the accident in. I would definitely call and get a consult, at least they can provide general advice.

Regardless of any amount you recoup, you’re biggest issue will be a ding in the carfax.

If you’ve already made a police report it’s probably too late, but for $5k I’d eat it myself to avoid the negative press.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
A lot of people only carry the bare minimum liability, so you need insurance to cover what they don't. Like Blu says, a lawyer may be just more money out of your pocket. If you would have had insurance, then your insurance company would have gone after theirs. As it stands $5k might be all you are going to get.

·
Registered
380 Posts
What’s the financial situation of the person that hit you? If he is just an average Joe, even if you sue him and get a judgement, the chances of collecting are slim to none.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
What’s the financial situation of the person that hit you? If he is just an average Joe, even if you sue him and get a judgement, the chances of collecting are slim to none.
This is exactly what I was thinking. If he could only afford $5k of coverage you’ll spend thousands to end up with little to nothing. Good luck though!

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,608 Posts
Do you think the damage will be quite a bit north of $5K? If not, I would go out of pocket and march on. As recommended above I would at least consult with an attorney and see what advice he or she gives you regarding a plan of action. Maybe the attorney can ballpark a figure regarding the legal fees on a case like this, and that at least will help you decide if that is a reasonable approach.
Lastly, sorry my friend, hang in there!

·
Super Moderator
3,503 Posts
You’d think there is a minimum liability amount required. What state are you in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will update u guys this week
Thanks for the comments and advice
Happen state of California
The girl was 16yrs old with a valid license
And her father is a firefighter I assume he makes good income and I consulted with a legal firm and found out they own a home
But the registered owner was the girls mother
I’m looking into it more
My main thing is the limits the registered owner has , i need to get the real numbers I feel the adjuster is lying about the coverage amount

·
Registered
183 Posts
I will update u guys this week
Thanks for the comments and advice
Happen state of California
The girl was 16yrs old with a valid license
And her father is a firefighter I assume he makes good income and I consulted with a legal firm and found out they own a home
But the registered owner was the girls mother
I’m looking into it more
My main thing is the limits the registered owner has , i need to get the real numbers I feel the adjuster is lying about the coverage amount
You're going after a 16 year old whose dad is a fire fighter? jeez

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
You're going after a 16 year old whose dad is a fire fighter? jeez
if she is at fault nothing wrong with that especially if parents let her drive a car with such low minimums. Were you driving with no insurance or just no collision?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Oh my, am I reading correctly OP was driving without insurance in California?
Oh f**k, this may "blow up" with no recovery options.
+ OP was selling his Lambo and now it is damaged.
The diminish value could be substantial.

16 year old driver was at fault and she had insurance.
Or is the kid named on parents insurance policy and allowed to drive that car?
Or kid borrowed that car, with car registered and insured to mother?
Oh f**k, this case would be against a minor, not an adult.

Did the 16 year old kid borrow car without permission; is that the parent's claim?
There are facts in process from an involved insurance company.

I look forward to the rest of this thread and what OP finds as the legal opinion.

FWIW This would be an hourly case not contingency (40 hours * $400 an hour = $16,000) as an example.
Yes, a judgment would be the net result.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
OP specifically said: "small accident." Define small OP or post some photos. Most likely you'll have to eat whatever 5K doesn't cover. Another option is to pony up 10k or so to an Attorney to get started and go from there. Best case is a judgement that you win and then you'll have to collect. Based on what you've already said it doesn't seem worth it to me. Pretty simple actually.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
17,508 Posts
Oh my, am I reading correctly OP was driving without insurance in California?
Oh f**k, this may "blow up" with no recovery options.
+ OP was selling his Lambo and now it is damaged.
The diminish value could be substantial.

16 year old driver was at fault and she had insurance.
Or is the kid named on parents insurance policy and allowed to drive that car?
Or kid borrowed that car, with car registered and insured to mother?
Oh f**k, this case would be against a minor, not an adult.

Did the 16 year old kid borrow car without permission; is that the parent's claim?
There are facts in process from an involved insurance company.

I look forward to the rest of this thread and what OP finds as the legal opinion.

FWIW This would be an hourly case not contingency (40 hours * $400 an hour = $16,000) as an example.
Yes, a judgment would be the net result.
I thought the same thing, am I reading this correctly!

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
I was figuring he had compulsory but no collision? If no insurance at all would be worse than low liability and hard to feel to sorry

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,608 Posts
^^People make mistakes or commit errors in judgement; it's part and parcel of being human. Live to fight another day...............

1 - 20 of 62 Posts