Lamborghini Talk banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
I finished claying & decided to just skip the polishing. I think the surface is good enough. If I polish it, the surface will be smoother but it will be thinner. Besides I want slightly thicker surface for SlipLo to stick in.

Once the surface is fully cured tomorrow, I will start putting on the SlipLo. I have 4 sets on hand atm and have another 8 sets on the way as spares.

So these are the before & after pics :) Pretty happy with the result. Learned a lot. And of course, Thank You guys for the encouragement! Couldn't do it without you guys.

Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Grille Hood
Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Premium Member
2022 Rosso Mars Huracan STO
Looks pretty darn good! Now apply the SlipLo or a similar product and then you will be able to laugh at those "bumps" in the road.

Premium Member
Thanks Albert! How many set do you think is required? I'm planning on putting 2 sets to cover each left & right sides.
Norman, as I recall I only purchased one kit for the leading front edge of the bumper but if you buy two kits you can cover the front and rear part and do the "extended" coverage.

Attachments

Reactions: Sakura

Registered
Top coat is now on and just waiting for it to cure. Once it's cured I'll do some claying again and polishing to get rid of overspray and flatten the edges. I think it will look good.

I was surprised my rupee polish could somehow fit below the bumper. Will be trying that out tomorrow.

I almost died smelling the fumes so had to don the 3m mask, and painter glasses and jumpsuit :)

View attachment 319147
View attachment 319148 View attachment 319149
Concerning fumes鈥 I normally back the rear of the vehicle so it鈥檚 next to the garage door for ventilation. If it鈥檚 not cold or windy, I paint outside.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I had the surface cured for like 36 hours, so it is now ready for SlipLo. I put two stripes on each sides. I think these will work but for one time use only like a thin bullet vest. They must be replaced after that initial bump because the glue definitely won't hold.

I can't even tell if the sliplo is on by just looking at the bumper at normal angle. And I had the lift up too.

Overall, I'm just glad that this DIY ended up well :)

Vehicle Grille Car Automotive lighting Hood
Hood Automotive design Shade Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Hood Textile Automotive design Wood Automotive tire

Premium Member
Norman, a job well done! That SlipLo is ready for some road duty, and to my eyes it looks darn damn impressive!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Just a small FYI update, I found out today that there is a 3M adhesion promotor (called 3M 4298) that increases the strength of the bonding glue. Essentially it prevents the SlipLo from falling out during first impact. 3M 4298 uses acrylic polymer (an elastic adhesive like nail polish) and cyclohexane as solvent.

Most 3M glue sticks better in hot temperature because they use cyclohexane as solvent. Cyclohexane has poor solubility at low temperature.

I don't know if it's better to let the piece fall off during 1st impact or to prevent it. If the glue is too strong, it could take off the top coat or worse the paint, so in theory maybe better to just let it fall off. Probably the reason the maker does not include those in their product. I'm not planning to test it and hope I'll never get a chance to test it :)

Premium Member
Just a small FYI update, I found out today that there is a 3M adhesion promotor (called 3M 4298) that increases the strength of the bonding glue. Essentially it prevents the SlipLo from falling out during first impact. 3M 4298 uses acrylic polymer (an elastic adhesive like nail polish) and cyclohexane as solvent.

Most 3M glue sticks better in hot temperature because they use cyclohexane as solvent. Cyclohexane has poor solubility at low temperature.

I don't know if it's better to let the piece fall off during 1st impact or to prevent it. If the glue is too strong, it could take off the top coat or worse the paint, so in theory maybe better to just let it fall off. Probably the reason the maker does not include those in their product. I'm not planning to test it and hope I'll never get a chance to test it :)
Great research..............let it fall off is my recommendation, if ever, and then before you know it an STO or Tecnica will be in your garage. Though, Norman not for anything but I think you are overthinking the moment a tad bit. :giggle:

• Haha

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Great research..............let it fall off is my recommendation, if ever, and then before you know it an STO or Technica will be in your garage. Though, Norman not for anything but I think you are overthinking the moment a tad bit. :giggle:
I am planning on keeping this 580 forever then aim for another one in garage for the new V12. Maybe a 2nd year production hybrid AV and not the 1st. I let the beta testers test the 1st year car first in case something is leaking :)

Premium Member
I am planning on keeping this 580 forever then aim for another one in garage for the new V12. Maybe a 2nd year production hybrid AV and not the 1st. I let the beta testers test the 1st year car first in case something is leaking :)
I get it, V12 > V10 and you're probably spot on...................though, love my STO. ;)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I get it, V12 > V10 and you're probably spot on...................though, love my STO. ;)
STO is truly the best for on and off track. Nothing competes against it and very nimble in corners like a famous Bolshoi ballerina. It's really nice that you could enjoy it! I would get that in a heartbeat - just things didn't work out with dealers closing the ordering window so early like Tecnica. I don't go to the track anymore, so maybe that heavy brick with scissor door could work for me :)

Premium Member
True but incomplete "STO is truly the best for on and off track" and street. Though, there is something to be said for the billion dollar doors.

Registered
I think these will work but for one time use only like a thin bullet vest. They must be replaced after that initial bump because the glue definitely won't hold.
Exactly. What happens if the SlipLo scrapes off on the first hot lap at the track and then you bottom out again on a subsequent lap unprotected? When I did Autocross I did 20+ laps and was secure (pun intended) in knowing my Rivet gun installed skidplates would withstand the entire event.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts