Lamborghini Talk banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

Premium Member
2022 Rosso Mars Huracan STO
I did the claying and boy did that made a difference. Most overspray has been fixed. I haven't even put a top coat yet the surface is already pretty smooth.

I figured out good way to see the bottom without getting a crossed eyed syndrome in the process. Just use front camera and tilt it around 45 degree. Sorry for the untidy hair.

Now I am wondering if I should do the top coat at all since the surface is already pretty good as I will be putting SlipLo on it. I guess I have 2 nights to ponder while the top coat is still being delivered to me :)

View attachment 319083 View attachment 319084 View attachment 319085
Next time I scrape my Huracan front end I will dial N O R M A N. Man, that is some fantastic looking work. My only question is, when is the Norman Auto Body repair shop going to be open for business? :giggle:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
At first I would've said you are having some reaction to your primer or your bondo.

I have alot of respect for painters. I painted a very large model airplane and I learned A LOT!
Painting large model airplanes sounds like a good fun! :)

Spot on about the reaction. That was a chemical reaction from bondo. I top the initial paint immediately with acrylic to blur the edges. When they bond, they produce bubbles.

My last mission is to seal the paint with clear to make it extra smooth. I think I need the clear to protect the initial paint from cracking due to weather and chemicals.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Yep. It鈥檚 cool when a DIY project turns out mint.
Sakura, I enjoy doing touch ups. Especially scratches that haven鈥檛 gotten down to paint鈥 it then a matter of sanding and clear coating鈥 easy peasie
Yes they are certainly a fun project! :) I think I saved $2-3k this time with DIY. I spent less than $100 for everything and that has already included a painter mask. My dealer would have insisted to paint the whole bumper and charge me that :)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Next time I scrape my Huracan front end I will dial N O R M A N. Man, that is some fantastic looking work. My only question is, when is the Norman Auto Body repair shop going to be open for business? :giggle:
The hardest thing during the DIY was dealing with manual sanding and spray paint. The spray paint is aerosol and what comes out was totally uneven. I need to get a mini sander machine and airbrush tool. Any suggestions?

After I get that, "Norman Auto Body Repair Shop" will be open for business! 馃槀
"Get Norman to fix it all your abnormal dents and scratches"
"Customer complaints are unaccepted. Discretion is strongly advised."

Premium Member
Norman, in all seriousness, seeing your efforts, respect.

Reactions: Sakura

Registered
The hardest thing during the DIY was dealing with manual sanding and spray paint. The spray paint is aerosol and what comes out was totally uneven. I need to get a mini sander machine and airbrush tool. Any suggestions?

After I get that, "Norman Auto Body Repair Shop" will be open for business! 馃槀
"Get Norman to fix it all your abnormal dents and scratches"
"Customer complaints are unaccepted. Discretion is strongly advised."
Forgot to say鈥 I always wet sand any car painting. It allows me to feel the surface with my hand, while also pulling the sanded particles away from the area.

Registered
Painting large model airplanes sounds like a good fun! :)

Spot on about the reaction. That was a chemical reaction from bondo. I top the initial paint immediately with acrylic to blur the edges. When they bond, they produce bubbles.

My last mission is to seal the paint with clear to make it extra smooth. I think I need the clear to protect the initial paint from cracking due to weather and chemicals.
Here is a pic of the jet. I made a couple of magazine covers too!

This paint job was pretty much 4 paint jobs in one. Every square is hand masked!
Vehicle Aircraft Font Poster Airplane

Vehicle Aircraft Aviation Monoplane Air travel

Sky Vehicle Landscape Electric blue Asphalt

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Here鈥檚 my current restoration on my 3000gt
On the before image you can see two long scratches just to the right of the light reflection. They are gone in the after image.
After:
Good job on the restoration! Did you use sander and clear coat to fix it?

What's the spec on the 3000gt? And is that happened to be a Hemi parked next to the 3000? :)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #55 ·

Registered

Registered
Good job on the restoration! Did you use sander and clear coat to fix it?

What's the spec on the 3000gt? And is that happened to be a Hemi parked next to the 3000? :)
For touch ups, I only use small pieces of sandpaper (3鈥 diameter piece) and only use my hands. Always wet sand. if you鈥檙e doing your work in a garage, buy a light stick and have it hang on the opposite side of your work. You will see all the imperfections as you sand and apply your first few coats.
I bought the 3000gt new with all leather interior. At the time I only cared about looks and not performance, so it doesn鈥檛 have the turbo.
Parked next to it is a 71 Mustang Mach 1 . Numbers matching all original.

Registered
Mad props Norman on your touch up skills. My experience has been small touch up paint with a tiny brush from Amazon for minor hardly noticeable chips.

I have skid plates on my H that are attached via Rivet gun so they won鈥檛 scrap off easily like the adhesive protection. I bought from Shardul at UltimatePD and was super cheap like few hundred. I wanted more durable protection for Autocross. Funny when I run my fingers under the skid plates I can鈥檛 feel any imperfections. Guess better safe than sorry.

Premium Member
Reactions: Sakura and 2006m5

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Top coat is now on and just waiting for it to cure. Once it's cured I'll do some claying again and polishing to get rid of overspray and flatten the edges. I think it will look good.

I was surprised my rupee polish could somehow fit below the bumper. Will be trying that out tomorrow.

I almost died smelling the fumes so had to don the 3m mask, and painter glasses and jumpsuit :)

Automotive lighting Hood Grille Automotive parking light Automotive tire

Hood Grille Automotive design Luggage and bags Automotive tire
Hairstyle Vision care Facial expression Flash photography Eyewear

41 - 60 of 75 Posts