Lamborghini Talk banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
You have to be logical, there are not many options.

Either you buy a 2nd car to be in your living room and the other to drive.

Can't buy a another car, you can leave it in the garage forever and dry rot.

If you have the need to drive, you can be like some Corvette owners and take it out only once a year and leave a 500 meter gap between the car in front of you, drive only on the streets at low speed, never drive on the highway. Then you can spend money to fix the scrapes and park it for the next 364 days.

Me I won't be able to afford 2 identical H and my pride and joy is to drive, the engine sound, taking corners fast, doing road trips every weekend, car spotting in the evenings, die cast hunting, getting thumbs up, kids pointing at the car etc. so I have no choice but to drive it. I take care of my car as much as I can but I can't control all road hazards. I see many cars with pristine front bumpers but mine is now riddled with rock chips, the splitter scraped, I busted 2 front tires on 2 different occasion from pot holes this summer but man do I ever have fun now in my life. Gradually the more chips and scrapes you learn to accept it.

Staying at home having a garage queen would erode my sanity from my work. I need to get out and not think of that stuff.
I definitely agree with you. I don’t know how someone could buy this car and not drive it. It is like those people who buy a toy and keep it in the box so it doesn’t lose value lol.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You have to be logical, there are not many options.

Either you buy a 2nd car to be in your living room and the other to drive.

Can't buy a another car, you can leave it in the garage forever and dry rot.

If you have the need to drive, you can be like some Corvette owners and take it out only once a year and leave a 500 meter gap between the car in front of you, drive only on the streets at low speed, never drive on the highway. Then you can spend money to fix the scrapes and park it for the next 364 days.

Me I won't be able to afford 2 identical H and my pride and joy is to drive, the engine sound, taking corners fast, doing road trips every weekend, car spotting in the evenings, die cast hunting, getting thumbs up, kids pointing at the car etc. so I have no choice but to drive it. I take care of my car as much as I can but I can't control all road hazards. I see many cars with pristine front bumpers but mine is now riddled with rock chips, the splitter scraped, I busted 2 front tires on 2 different occasion from pot holes this summer but man do I ever have fun now in my life. Gradually the more chips and scrapes you learn to accept it.

Staying at home having a garage queen would erode my sanity from my work. I need to get out and not think of that stuff.
Good points.
Have you put down a deposit on a Lambo yet? Prices definitely aren't getting cheaper!
If you think the Corvette gets stares and pointed at, wait til you get your H! Completely different level!

V.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
The paint has not arrived yet I'm all ready with the prep. Masking done, initial sanding done, putty done, resanding done...

I think I may have gone overboard with masking but better safe than sorry with the overspray.

I noticed the scratches are more like a scoff because they are not deep at all. I think I can get away with just paint & clear. But I use some putty anyway and some got into the deeper scratches. One problem was the surface is not perfectly smooth because the putty couldn't get into some area of the scratches (too shallow). I could put on more putty but I think the surface may become too thick with paint.

What do you guys think? I'm hoping the paint would level out in the end especially I would be topping it off with clear acrylic paint.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Fender

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior
Vehicle cover Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle
Hood Personal protective equipment Automotive lighting Athletic shoe Vehicle door
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper
Hood Automotive lighting Tints and shades Vehicle door Personal protective equipment

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
I figured the preparation surface must be 100% smooth for a good paint job. So I redid the putty this time using only fingers (no flapper tool). I shafted the putty in like a sculptor named Michaelangelo. In 2 hours when they have bonded, I will use the 600 & 1000 grits sandpapers to level out the surface - to make it smooth like a glass. I have a good feeling that this is way to do it.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle door

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Good points.
Have you put down a deposit on a Lambo yet? Prices definitely aren't getting cheaper!
If you think the Corvette gets stares and pointed at, wait til you get your H! Completely different level!

V.
I literally missed the "boat" by one year as I had planned to buy preowned in 2022 at around 215K-235K CAD plus taxes.

A deposit on a new car, that will never happen, over 430K for a new H, no way. At that price only the 1% can afford that.

Right now the cheapest orange 580-2 H without a single option costs with taxes over 330K CAD, ridiculous. I'm waiting to see if winter/spring prices drop if not either I wait some more or go with another brand altogether.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good points.

V.
Just traded in my c8 for a 2017 huracan 610-4 huracan avio. Down in south Florida expensive cars are a dime a dozen. No one blinked twice at my c8. The huracan, is a whole different story. You can see the look in every grown man’s eyes as they become a kid again. So cool

·
Premium Member
2022 Rosso Mars Huracan STO
17,127 Posts
Thanks for the referral Albert! I'm going to order 3 sets and put them below after I fix the paint (y) (y) (y)

Hopefully the company can ship them to me ASAP because nobody seems to sell their products here.
Do they have it on the Amazon website in Japan? I ordered from Amazon last go around.

·
Premium Member
17,127 Posts
I figured the preparation surface must be 100% smooth for a good paint job. So I redid the putty this time using only fingers (no flapper tool). I shafted the putty in like a sculptor named Michaelangelo. In 2 hours when they have bonded, I will use the 600 & 1000 grits sandpapers to level out the surface - to make it smooth like a glass. I have a good feeling that this is way to do it.

View attachment 319023
Norman, that is both an impressive effort, and incredibly meticulous. Though, knowing you, I would expect nothing less. (y)

Reactions: Sakura

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I literally missed the "boat" by one year as I had planned to buy preowned in 2022 at around 215K-235K CAD plus taxes.

A deposit on a new car, that will never happen, over 430K for a new H, no way. At that price only the 1% can afford that.

Right now the cheapest orange 580-2 H without a single option costs with taxes over 330K CAD, ridiculous. I'm waiting to see if winter/spring prices drop if not either I wait some more or go with another brand altogether.
I applaud your decision in making a smart purchase. The right time will come when one is patient. Patience is virtue.

People sometimes forget cars are toys and not really an investment. I've seen people getting into crazy debt & ended up unhappy for overreaching. We buy cars to impress ourselves - who cares if people blink or not at our material possession. That is why I'm fixing scratches under the car that nobody but me can see. And I'm not that short :)

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Do they have on the Amazon website in Japan? I ordered from Amazon last go around.
I finally located a dealer here and ordered a set right away. Should get it around tomorrow. Amazon Japan does not have it for sale for some reason. There are similar items but they are all made from either PVC or PP. Those will develop cracks. I want PU plastic for durability which is what sliplo has. Can't wait to put them on, but then I need the paint bottle to get here first! The paint is taking forever :)

·
Premium Member
17,127 Posts
I finally located a dealer here and ordered a set right away. Should get it around tomorrow. Amazon Japan does not have it for sale for some reason. There are similar items but they are all made from either PVC or PP. Those will develop cracks. I want PU plastic for durability which is what sliplo has. Can't wait to put them on, but then I need the paint bottle to get here first! The paint is taking forever :)
After you apply the SlipLo you will be covered, pun intended.

I am really interested in seeing the pictures after you finish your repaint because that looks like a first rate/professional effort. Though, the SlipLo will completely cover, what I am sure will turn out to be, your impressive artistry.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
After you apply the SlipLo you will be covered, pun intended.

I am really interested in seeing the pictures after you finish your repaint because that looks like a first rate/professional effort. Though, the SlipLo will completely cover, what I am sure will turn out to be, your impressive artistry.
Thanks Albert, that is very kind of you :)

I just hope I won't botch the final painting after getting all that praise. We should know how it goes in about 2 days. Artistry or a disaster 😂

·
Premium Member
17,127 Posts

I just hope I won't botch the final painting after getting all that praise. We should know how it goes in about 2 days. Artistry or a disaster 😂
Well, the painting is a great learning experience, and in the end the SlipLo will cover it so your okay either way. ;)

Reactions: Sakura

·
Registered
2,840 Posts

My only advice for painting…
Never try to get full coverage in 1-2 coats. That always results in runs. I try to get to 4-5 coats of light spraying.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I applaud your decision in making a smart purchase. The right time will come when one is patient. Patience is virtue.

People sometimes forget cars are toys and not really an investment. I've seen people getting into crazy debt & ended up unhappy for overreaching. We buy cars to impress ourselves - who cares if people blink or not at our material possession. That is why I'm fixing scratches under the car that nobody but me can see. And I'm not that short :)

Thank you for your response! I learned a life long lesson when I was 18, I had purchased an old Chevy Blazer had it painted black and boy did I love that SUV. One day the crank broke in half and luckily the father in law fixed it. Some time later I was out of work so I enrolled for classes in another city and I thought I wouldn't be able to afford it anymore. I sold it at a loss and had 2 years of truck payments without having a vehicle! That troubled me for a decade after that. I always paid cash for vehicles after that.

For the H I was ready for a small loan to get it a year early. At these current inflated prices these cars are not worth what they are advertised for anyway. There are so many of them it's just a matter of time and being smart.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thank you for your response! I learned a life long lesson when I was 18, I had purchased an old Chevy Blazer had it painted black and boy did I love that SUV. One day the crank broke in half and luckily the father in law fixed it. Some time later I was out of work so I enrolled for classes in another city and I thought I wouldn't be able to afford it anymore. I sold it at a loss and had 2 years of truck payments without having a vehicle! That troubled me for a decade after that. I always paid cash for vehicles after that.

For the H I was ready for a small loan to get it a year early. At these current inflated prices these cars are not worth what they are advertised for anyway. There are so many of them it's just a matter of time and being smart.
Man, I hear you, there is always something with these old Chevy. I used to drive a couple of old Chevy too and they always get overheated during traffic and have failed alternator. I had a local quicky shop replaced the alternator but it kept on failing again and again :) Getting rid of it probably saved you more expenses.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Put 3 layers of paint. It looks sort of matte with some overspray and air bubbles since it's still curing with the added acrylic. I will clay it to remove overspray, then put on the top clear coat in about 48 hours. The surface should be smooth in the end.

Painting upside down is really challenging since I have to fight against gravity. If I put on too much paint, the excess may drip down. Not to mention getting a neck pain.

Rectangle Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Grille

Hood Material property Rectangle Tints and shades Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I did the claying and boy did that made a difference. Most overspray has been fixed. I haven't even put a top coat yet the surface is already pretty smooth.

I figured out good way to see the bottom without getting a crossed eyed syndrome in the process. Just use front camera and tilt it around 45 degree. Sorry for the untidy hair.

Now I am wondering if I should do the top coat at all since the surface is already pretty good as I will be putting SlipLo on it. I guess I have 2 nights to ponder while the top coat is still being delivered to me :)

Hood Sleeve Automotive lighting Tints and shades Personal protective equipment
Gesture Tints and shades Wood Space Art
Hood Sleeve Automotive exterior Tints and shades Vehicle door

21 - 40 of 75 Posts