Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the article and my shoot from the hip assessment is to ban electric cars :) Sure there could be other reasons, but I"m ignoring them and am convinced it is the evil electric car:eek:

The cargo ship Felicity Ace is aflame from bow to stern with a lithium-ion battery fire that can’t be put out with water alone. The ship left Germany on Feb. 10 and headed for the US with about 4,000 Porsches, Bentleys and other luxury cars aboard, and some of those were electric vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,066 Posts
Sounds right to me, EVs the culprit.

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,021 Posts
I hope its EV car batteries and not lithium-ion batteries because I bought antigravity battery a few months ago and put it in the SL. Lol.....

·
Registered
729 Posts
Heh, I’ve run a lightweight lithium-iron battery from Voltphreaks in my R8 for many years, an 8 pound battery compared to the OEM 60 pound one.

Lithium-iron batteries do not combust, they vent. And if they did combust, you could still put it out like a normal fire. They are much safer and don’t really just explode. Wonder why car manufacturers don’t use them more. Maybe something to do with cold weather.

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,021 Posts
Heh, I’ve run a lightweight lithium-iron battery from Voltphreaks in my R8 for many years, an 8 pound battery compared to the OEM 60 pound one.

Lithium-iron batteries do not combust, they vent. And if they did combust, you could still put it out like a normal fire. They are much safer and don’t really just explode. Wonder why car manufacturers don’t use them more. Maybe something to do with cold weather.
Whew..... Thank you! Good because I love mine. Went from 60 lbs to 15 lbs..... Yay, still keeping my lithium-ion battery. LOL

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Really depends on the lithium-ion battery chemistry, they are NOT all created equal. Although lithium-iron-phosphate is the most common you'll see commercially and is very safe and nearly impossible to induce thermal runaway leading to fire or explosive failure, lithium-cobalt-oxide (used in many power tools) and lithium-nickel-cobalt-aluminum (used in power tools and more notably Teslas) are both very dangerous under certain conditions. They can exhibit thermal runaway of 470 C per minute under specific conditions such as overload under adverse climate conditions or overcharge, which is plenty to cause a fire and even an explosion of the lithium-ion cell.

No doubt in my mind that's what happened on board Felicity Ace.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,066 Posts
Really depends on the lithium-ion battery chemistry, they are NOT all created equal. Although lithium-iron-phosphate is the most common you'll see commercially and is very safe and nearly impossible to induce thermal runaway leading to fire or explosive failure, lithium-cobalt-oxide (used in many power tools) and lithium-nickel-cobalt-aluminum (used in power tools and more notably Teslas) are both very dangerous under certain conditions. They can exhibit thermal runaway of 470 C per minute under specific conditions such as overload under adverse climate conditions or overcharge, which is plenty to cause a fire and even an explosion of the lithium-ion cell.

No doubt in my mind that's what happened on board Felicity Ace.
That seems to be what they are saying at this time. I guess we won't know for sure until it gets to port and inspected, and I'll bet that is weeks away.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
15,672 Posts
There is hope :

I doubt there is much hope for the ships contents given the Felicity Ace lacks bulkheads.

"The lack of internal bulkheads can have an adverse impact on fire safety and a small fire on one vehicle or battery can grow out of control very quickly. Vehicles are not easily accessible once loading has been completed."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts