Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
2022 Grigio Lynx EVO Spyder RWD on order
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With most cars in my area going into hibernation in the winter, does anyone here recommend a lithium ion battery, and if so is that a dealer install or can it be a DYI?

if you have a trickle charger; is that also a dealer install item?

thanks 馃檹

Registered
the battery of huracan is good and huracan's parasitic drain is very low (about 0.01A). Don't waste your time with lithium batteries.

Side note: huracan is more fun in winter.

Registered
2022 Grigio Lynx EVO Spyder RWD on order
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the battery of huracan is good and huracan's parasitic drain is very low (about 0.01A). Don't waste your time with lithium batteries.

Thanks for that! How about trickle charger? Indicated or not?

Registered
I use a trickle charger/battery maintainer from CTEK. BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, etc... rebrand their chargers. They work well and are easy to connect. You can get an adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter so you don't have to open the frunk and direct connect to the battery. Looks like they have one for cold weather too: https://smartercharger.com/collections/vehicle/products/ctek-nus-4-3-polar.

Vendor
I am an Antigravity battery dealer and their offerings are quite an improvement over a standard lead acid battery. Weight is the first benefit that comes to mind with a 60Ah coming in 43 pounds less than the OE lead acid battery.

Beyond that, they have built-in jump starting so you'll never be left stranded. They have a great warranty and can typically go through 3X the amount of discharge/recharge cycles vs. a lead acid battery. Their internal resistance is substantially lower which is why they can use less amp hours to turn the engine over. They also charge far more quickly than lead acids so if you tend to take lots of short trips, they're a better option.

Do you need it to necessarily make it through winter hybernation? No, not at all. But it's a great product on its own and in the weight analogy arena, it's like driving around with an almost empty tank of gas vs. a full tank.

We have several charger options and comfort harnesses which make plugging in the charger a snap (literally). No alligator clips! If you're interested in a quote, send an email; [email protected]. You can also contact me through the forum but I respond more quickly to email.

I recommend the 60Ah at a minimum as those and higher amp hour batteries like the 80Ah H7 until simply play more nicely with the electronics. The 40Ah version will still crank over the V10 like a high speed dentist's drill but doesn't play as nicely with the stock battery management system.

If your old battery is in good condition, you won't need to code the AG battery in. Note that due to the ongoing trade wars, CTEK prices have gone up by about 35%.
-Michel

Registered
I have the Antigravity Lithium battery in my Huracan Spyder. Including weight reduction, as RMR says above, some neat features. The Bluetooth app is really cool as you can monitor your battery status, etc. It comes with two remotes so if your battery does die, you press the button to activate the jumpstart reserve. There is also a button you can press at the battery by removing that front cover in the event you don't have your remotes on hand. I keep a remote in the garage and one in the glovebox. I had my service guy install the battery since my car has a UGR build and the water box and hoses are setup inside the frunk, which all needed to be removed to get to the battery. Also, all the paneling inside the frunk had to be removed as well. Not sure what it would take to get to the battery in a stock car. It's pricey perhaps but well worth it and it sure starts up the car in a more aggressive manner. Also, the stock battery weighed in at 57.1 lbs. The 60 amp Lith weighed in at 16.5 lbs.

Also, once the battery was installed, there were no codes displayed once the car started up.

Below are the items I purchased.

Antigravity Foam Kit (Probably not needed, did place foam at the back of the battery so it doesn't rub against the front firewall)

Reactions: Rcasa20 and RMR

Vendor
The battery tracker is definitely a cool addition. You can log battery voltage in real time, even with the car shut off and you can log it over time as well. Just realize I can beat AG's prices so definitely email me for a quote first. [email protected]

Battery monitor and key fobs (battery monitor is extra). I keep one fob in the glove box at all times.

Comparison...this is an H6 AG battery vs. the OEM H7. Both are the same width which is the critical dimension for mounting the battery. You can get away with either. H6 and H7 just designates an industry standard case sizing. Internally they're the same although the H7 can be had up to 80Ah where the H6 tops out at 60Ah.

Registered
I don't recommend going for a small Ah battery than what Huracan has built in. As far as I know EVO has 95Ah.

EVO sucks about 25-30Ah when idle.

Nevertheless, I'd stay away from getting a non-standard battery e.g Li/Lifepo4 battery for the Huracan Evo. All I had was problems and incompatibilities.

EVO's standard electronic system is pretty well done. Never touch a running system.

Vendor
A lead acid battery has about 3X the internal resistance as a properly-designed lithium ion battery. That's why it needs more amp hours. If you look at the cranking amp rating for AG's batteries, even though they're say, 60Ah, the cranking amps is more like 1400. Less energy is wasted to internal resistance and therefore the amp hour rating can be far less.

I have dozens of customers across the VAG community, from Huracans to Gallardo's, to R8 (all gens), RS5's, TTRS, etc...zero issues.

I don't know what brand or amp hour you had issues with but as I stated earlier, stay with an Antigravity 60Ah or greater and you'll be just fine and that has mostly to do with the battery management system and charging sequence for an absorbed glass mat battery. Once you go above a certain amp hours, no issues. I use one myself in every vehicle I own. If for some reason you have an issue, they have a great warranty (best in biz!) and I help facilitate a replacement to make it as easy as possible.

If you try to run a 30Ah battery, without internal circuitry protection (AG batteries have this, they're protected), then yes, you'll have issues. The issues you had do not pertain to Antigravity batteries if you follow my recommendation.

Registered

I can second that. Having my H since 2016 there are absolutely no issues with the battery. Aldo with the G before I had no problems. In winter I use a small 0.8A CTEK charger what works very well. My dealer hotwired the 12V outlet in the frunk so I can just plug in the CTEK with cig lighter adapter to charge it.

Additionally I've installed a CTEK Sense that logs the SoC and transmitts the data to the app in your mobile phone in the background when you come in Bluetooth reach. With this I get an alarm if the SoC falls below a defined level.

Both together gives you an easy way to monitor the 12V battery and keep the SoC on top during longer driveless periods.

BTW: I use a Winston 4S 40Ah LiFeYPo4 in the Tesla. This due to the fact that the standard AGM is a 33Ah and there are several charging cycles per day even when the car sits around. This results in 1-2% SoC loss of the HV battery per day ! With the Li Battery the cycles became much less and the vampire drain got reduced down to less than 0.5% per day. But watch the cranking amperes the battery has to deliver for our 10V. Li batteries that provide this power are very expensive and on the end only saves weight. Good only if each lbs counts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts