Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys can a tire that has had a puncture (rear) repaired be driven as hard as good one.
Is the life span shorter?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Eric,

I have driven 10,000 plus on a repaired tire before. The question how hard is hard driving. The tire was on my old corvette and the tire did not have any problems. I had iut repaired with a patch from th inside not a plug.

For everyday use it will be fine, however, I would track the car on that tire. Just my 2 cents. JRV may have a better answer for you.
David

Drive it don't show it!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Both Pirrelli and The Factory say "NO" a repaired tire is no longer safe to drive at speed or hard.

The heat buildup and stress generated by a car like a Lamborghini is far in excess of what repairs are designed to handle.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
eric_lee said:
can a tire that has had a puncture (rear) repaired be driven as hard as good one?
Many manufactures will state a maximum size for a repair that can be done to maintain the tires speed rating. I don't think any allow a repair of any size on a ZR (over 186mph) rated tire.

-mick

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.
What I really hate about some people, especially those in the construction business is that the just dump the garbage on the floor next to their sites and it has all sorts of shrapnel in it.
I remember walking past this new building site and spoted no less than 15 nails lying next to the curb and someone is going to pick it up with their tires.
And when we have 335 rears I bet our chances are that much higher.
I am so paranoid I try to avoid construction site, but it does'nt help.
Hong Kong is always pulling down buildings and making new ones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you plan to do any hard driving with the vehicle after the tire repair, it is best to just replace the tire. The tire can be patched from the inside, but as stated, then is takes on different heating characteristics from the other tires that can lead to unwanted handling or grip issues. You are better off biting the bullet for a new tire then trying to make do with a patched one and wiping out the rear of your Lambo IMHO.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Repaired tyre or tire...

If this is for your Lamborghini - don't drive on a repaired one. Have you ever seen a rear tyre deflate suddenly at speed - it's not pretty and all for the sake of a couple of hundred dollars.........

If it's of any consolation, my office in London is next door to one that was being refurbished. My XKR has 20 inch wheels and I had to have six new tyres in a seven week span - the guys doing the building work were spoken to, however you can imagine just how interested they were. Grrr :evil:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts