Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a number of pictures of lambos gutted by fire. What causes them to ignite and what can owners do to prevent that from happening?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The Best Fire "Prevention" is called Maintenance!!

Look under the hood once in awhile and check the fuel hoses!!!

I know a Lamborghini Mechanic that will point out Old, Leaking, Rotted, Dangerous, or suspect Fuel Hoses for FREE!!!

He'll likey check your Oil, Water and Tire Pressure at the same time!

If you don't have a Lamborghini Mechanic like that "GET ONE"!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Ditto above.

I did not read the entire thread, but think that car had an oil leak.

Lambo is one of the few street cars out there that pump over 30 psi in the fuel lines..I always keep an eye on them. Taking short cuts or using improper lines, hose clamps that cut, etc. etc, can get you in trouble.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
A fire Suppression system is a must!!! They are CHEAP. I bought the FireCharger system for $370.00. That is very cheap insurance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The threads are interesting. Sounds like leaks would be the cause...I'm still wondering what causes the ignition of the substance, though. Aren't the plugs sealed? (I'm a non-mechanic)

·
Registered
41 Posts
absolutely correct---HIGH HEAT, but more specifically, it is the high heat that is dissipating from the exhaust manifolds on this guys. I have seen too fricking many C/T's burnt to a complete crisp because of pinhole leaks in the oil lines. Not the fuel, but the oil lines. I would keep a very close eye on both. A built in fire suppression system on a piece of art like these should be mandatory. These are high performance cars that require hoses and lines that are in good shape constantly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Around this high heat issue, besides a fire extinguisher system, have you increased ventilation? I'm sure there is only so much you can do without just removing the engine lid :)

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I suspect the high heat in itself isn't a problem however, when there is a problem (oil / fuel leak etc) the high heat makes the results more dramatic. Its not like the car is self combusting :D

-mick

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
These are high performance cars that require hoses and lines that are in good shape constantly.
RIGHT!!!

these types of cars need periodic inspections and old or suspect parts like fluids, coolant hoses, oil hoses, gas hoses, belts replaced when they have passed their time. Anytime I open a hood I have a serious look around at just about everything with a strong flashlight to help spot things that do or soon may need attention. I also check underneath for any leaks...and this is not just when I'm doing services, this also applies to when a guy comes in to get his oil checked and topped up if neccesary. Many potential problems can be headed off by a thourough inspection and routine maintinance. Cars like Lamborghinis & Ferraris need 2 to 3 serious inspections per year by someone with a keen, well trained eye.

·
Registered
93 Posts
To the dude that likes the pre 84 countachs, a pic of mine. As for the theme of this thread, just completed a engine rebuild, new hoses and lines, and always a fire extinguisher on board. Hope to never use the extinguisher. After inspecting the poor condition of all the original lines and hoses, I'd recommend any countach to be carfully inpected for any problems in that area!

Greg

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Hello Greg,

welcome aboard :wave:
I have also all hoses and lines replaced when the engine was out compared with the work to take it out, it would be stupid to leave a single old piece in the car...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also like the QV downdrafts :)
One can never be too careful with oil/water/fuel lines. I have just gone thru mine completely and upgraded to silicon hoses and oil hose rated to 650degrees F. It cost me over $1200 in hoses, :eek: but did all of the work myself, but I have piece of mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fire Supression

detour_racing said:
A fire Suppression system is a must!!! They are CHEAP. I bought the FireCharger system for $370.00. That is very cheap insurance.
I would love to put that system on My Diablo, where does it fit?
Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
dhard801 said:
I would love to put that system on My Diablo, where does it fit?
Thanks, Dave
Hi David,

The bottle itself is the size of a two liter bottle. You can put the bottle in the front storage area and run flexable braided tubing to the engine compartment. Mine is in the small, rear trunk area on the jalpa. It is pretty easy to install. The best part is that it is rechargable. Let me know if you need any help. I'll try to answer any question you might have. By the way, I looked at your garage. Your car is outstanding and the exhaust is INSANE!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
379 Posts

Ok, need to update this thread...
So I was driving I10 southbound in phx,az and was slowed down by this open trailer carrying all salvage vehicles. A bright yellow folded mirror caught my attention and I whip out my blackberry to get a pic. I take one from the left side then slowed to change lanes and take a pic on the right side. Man people honked and thought what a wierdo, lol. I dont know the story to this gallardo but you can see where it got toasted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts