Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pondering if Lamborghini's will increase or decrease in value over the next 5 years.

With the explosive Real Estate market, I know they are very different but....... I'm curious as to the market for Lamborghini's in the next 5 years. I try to keep my market barometer and it seems like there are fewer earlier cars available.

It seems like "G" cars are depreciating... maybe because of the volume produced and available but what about some of the vintage cars?

Which models do you guys think will increase or decrease in the 5 year time frame....based just on your knowledge and gut feel.

"Will my Jalpa ever be worth more than the ~$ 60K-ish that it cost new in 1987?"

·
Banned
183 Posts
If your buying Lambo's as purely an investment your in the wrong place. Ever consider the stock market?

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
That's tough, I think I'd rather guess where the Dow will be in a year.:) But if I had to guess, I don't think it would be worth MORE until it's maybe 30 years old or so. We'd all love to think we owned potential Miura's though.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before this gets going in the wrong direction, I just asked a simple question.

I asked about Lamborghini's as an investment . It seems to me that the older "Vintage" models are becomming scarcer, I keep my eye on the EBay postings and that's why I asked this question.

No, I did not ask about the stock market, nor do I need any advice, if I wanted I'd have just asked.

No, I don't need re-assurance about my buying my car. It a toy and hobby, just like my other toys.

Again, it's a simple question, please don't make it more complicated than that.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
let me preface this by saying that experiences may vary, and everyone needs to do their own research.

You are correct in thinking that money can be made on a few of the older cars, and that right now is a pretty good time to do it, if you wanted to give it a try. Over the past 3 years, Miura SVs have gone up in value 2-3 fold, from $125K and change to more than $400K. Will they hit $600K? Perhaps, perhaps not. Will the countach LP400 hit $250K? Again, maybe. However, I would argue that because prices are going up, inventory is actually increasing on some of the older cars, as they suddenly have become more economical to restore, and more people are dusting their cars off and selling them.

In the more popular Ferrari world, it's been hard to make a bad buying decision in the last 3 years - pretty much every car built before 1972 is worth 25-100% more today, depending on model and condition. In that sense, good purchases can be turned into good "investments" if they are sold while the market continues to be hot.

There are all kinds of funny nuances that make cars valuable, besides the obvious ones like heritage and pedigree. For example, there's been a run on Ferrari 250 GTEs, because people need the motors for their multi-million dollar Ferrari race cars, which happen to use the same motor. And there's also been a "high tide lifts all boats" mentality, where people want a particular model of car, but cant afford it, so they buy a less desireable model instead.

The downside? There are a lot of people out there who are doing exactly this for a living, and they have an easier time getting to the cars then a beginner might. Also, if you don't know what to look for, you may buy a lemon, which needs $50,000 or more in deferred maintenance, and you'll end up losing your shirt.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
depends what you are buying and where abouts it is in the depreciation levels. I bought my Countach when it was at the bottom so had a "free ride/hire" I suppose. But you will spend loads in fuel, insurance and servicing so never an investment if you wanna use them. Try property, gold or fine wines - those are some of the best investments you can make that seem to be consistant. Commissioned paintings also do well (especially when the artist dies, come on Vetriano, pop your clogs already !)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
i have an eye on lambo market for years
in my opinion there is a possible way to make a good investment on lambos:
for miuras is too late,
miuras prices are so high that is difficult to make a bargain with them for the next 2-3 years,

if you want to make an investment ( better say have fun and not lose a penny..own a lambo is not cheap..) there is only a car to choose without almost any risk
buy a countach,
in my opinion this car's image is strong as a rock, it is considered as the mother of exotics and for many people the dream to own one of them is a kind of obsession( i am one ;) )
more the car is becoming a classic:20- 30 years old supercar
be carefull to the model you'll have, i believe old LP400 will always be the most desirable, but i bet early S1 and carbs QV will be the better investment
in my opinion, they will be soon over 100000 euro
my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
forgot
also som diablo are probably a good investment : se 30, roadster, 6.0 over all IMO

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think any pre-Audi takeover car will appreciate in the long run... the production numbers are low relative to other manufacturers... Some consider these cars the be the last of the "real" Lambo, but I don't agree with that statement. The G and Murci are great cars, but I think they are too new to know how the market will react downstream.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
terryjoint said:
My C/T has increased in value about 25% in 15 months, but I did get it cheap from an Auction
hi terry, i also bought mine in a auction in swiss, where you found yours?.....

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Like anything else in the World...

The more you have of something, the less it will cost. The demand is low for exotics only because the prices are so high. As the price drops the demand is greater. Look at the Corvette as a perfect example. This car is technically a fantastic underpriced auto that is in demand. Making 100,000 makes it afordable and sells out each year, but keeps the future value very low. Further, look at the prices of the older cars. My 63 sticker cost is $6,002. It's worth $65,000 today. If they made 100,000 back then, I couldn't get a fraction of it's value.

I hope that this little example will dispell even talking about "a exotic as an investment" period:

1. Look at the cost of a 1991 Diablo when it was new - $235,000.
Look at the market of it today - $100,000.

57% depreciation (Very BAD Investment...right!) :mad:

2. Look at the cost of a 1991 corvette when it was new - $37,000
Look at the market of it today - $16,000.

57% depreciation (Very BAD Investment...right!) :mad:

3. Invest the cost of the corvette in a money market fund in 1991.

(Borrow the money as if you bought a car for 4 years 5% interest)

TODAYS VALUE - $70,000

30% INCREASE BEFORE TAXES (Greater Value...right!) :D

It's been said a thousand times before...a car is not a good investment.

I'm sure some of you numbers guys could argue +,- 10 points, but that wouldn't change anything. :wave:

Disclaimer: The above car figures exclude the following: any personal appreciation of any kind, goodwill, getting a piece here and there, high you get driving at 150,000 MPH, pimp factor, and any of the nice dreams you have after driving the day before.

Estimated value of intangibles: PRICELESS

OK guys...my car was a great investment!

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Hi emillio, I got mine in a UK auction, but as it was left hand drive it was cheap, but as I live in Spain I got the best of both worlds

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
SI LAMBO said:
It's been said a thousand times before...a car is not a good investment.
sorry, but this is not true for all cars and all time
just an example:
i remember a guy who bought new an F40 in late 80's for 300.000.000£
(150000 euro ) and sold it for 1.200.000.000£ 6 weecks later
remember that there are men that bought a 275/gtb4 or even a 250 GTO in late 70's, they did a pretty good investment...
to be more practical it is enough to look at miura prices in last 5 years

i really think countach is a good investment, not only one of the best toy you could buy, i am not sure this will be true for jalpa or urraco ...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
terryjoint said:
Hi emillio, I got mine in a UK auction, but as it was left hand drive it was cheap, but as I live in Spain I got the best of both worlds
well done terry, good idea
i have never been so luky to found one CT LHD in UK even if i tried :eek:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Ciao Emilio,
I don't belive it...I can't surf the forum from my new office in Paris :( ..So I'll have to catch up during the weekends :)
I still have no news from Tahiti (...), and I'm getting a bit worried. I still have contacts with Germany about the White/White 5000S 2V I told you before...wait and see.
Talking about Countach :
As you said, LP400 (there are 2 for sale in Europe right now) are very expensive, and definitively to be considered as an investment (buy-wait-sell). This is also true for LP400S S1, but have the advantage to be a toy you can use and enjoy without risking too much.
From the LP400 S2 serie, to the 5000S QV, prices will go up anyway, slowly but surely. I'm not sure about the Anniversario, as opinions and demands are very different from a market (US/Europe/Middle East) to another.
Investors will soon turn to the pre-Audi models, which is not a very good thing for the ones not owning a Countach yet, because prices can go up very fast, especially if the new models come out, but which is rather a good news for the owners.
Anyway, Countach is, by definition (rare, exotic, mistic...) an investment. This do not mean you have to let her sleep in a garage for 10 years before making a good benefit :)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
:) hi eric,
i am happy you are back on the talk, even if only weeck ends..... :(
i have seen a very beutiful and rare 88,5 QV for sale in france
i will send to you a PM , price is 80000 euro ... :( but the car is a beauty :wave:
paint a part

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
well i have seen better the pics and i must say this car needs a complete paint
but the model year is very interesting aniway it is not good for 80000 euro
as you are in france try to talk with the seller , you' ll never know...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts