Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe the main reason the M and diablo, but mainly the diablo never really reached super exotic car status was because of its weight. It is quite heavy when compared to other exotic cars, but surprisily the performance is quite similar even with all that weigth. Even though the diablo may not be at this super status, there is no arguing that the diablo has the best head turning ability of any car ever made. I dont think any exotic cars has the "magic" that the diablo has. I think the problem was that the manufacturers wanted to create a super car that would sell, be produced in a good amount, and be semi affortable. With all these factors it would be hard to create "the best lamborghini". However, I dont see how making an entire body of carbon fiber costing that much more, since lamborghinis are production cars. Now to keep up in the exotc car race, its turning into a HP race. I still admire how good the diablo is, its just that is has so much potential to be the "best".

What are your thoughts about this? :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Alfred, the Diablo is the pinnacle of supercar status. Don't see how anyone could deny that fact. What other car could claim a superior status in all the exotic categories, looks, performance, rarity etc....Not counting Murcielago since that's it's replacement, but you don't think it's worthy either??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no, i think the diablo is more than worthy. Just that I think if you lost you weight the diablo could be the best in every way, since its performace is already quite good even with all the extra weight.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Alfred,

Lamborghini made a wide variety of Diablos to suit every need, 2WD Diablos, 4WD Diablos, 2WD Light Wieght Diablo GT's & GTR's, Roadsters, Specials, Race Cars. What more can such a small but intense Company do?

·
Registered
142 Posts
yes. in my opinion, the diablo is worthy of super car status. But there is a clear definition of exotic car and super car. My personal definition of super car is a vehicle of extraordinary performance, which places less focus of the look of the vehicle than its capabilities. My definition of the exotic car is a car that defies the age of time in its design. In my personal opinion, Lamborghini lost a little bit of exoticness from the Diablo on up. Perhaps its because the diablo has Iaccoca's influence and decisions on the design or that it is built with more emphasis on ergonomics than pure visual aesthetics and impact. But definitely, the diablo was more of an evolution than a revolutionary concept. As to the weight issue, as a side note and comparison, the new veyron from bugatti... it is a hefty car but has 1000 hp 4wd 16cyl and 7 speed semiatuo tranny, It is definitely a super car, but as to an exotic car, it is not. So, if you consider that a super car needs to be lighter in weight, then it simply not true. For a super car is to have over the top in power, in performance, but not necessarily need to be light weight.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with what everyone has said. But is it that hard to have more carbon fiber. The chasis is not entirely CF I dont think, correct me if I am wrong, but if you made it all CF it would be really light.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Honestly the best way is to take out emissions control, air bag, powersteering, and all the amenities that we have now taken for granted. Then it will be super super light.... The reason why the cars are so portly now is simply because big brother is thinking of these safety regulations that really put weight on the cars. The original countach even without cf was super light under 3000lbs... I read an article a while back with regards to the enzo, which is supposed to be a direct competitor to the mclaren. Even now, the enzo is still heavier because legislation since the production of Mclaren F1 has made mandatory for stricter and even stronger safety reinforcements. So, because of that, despite the ferrari engineers goal to have the enzo with less weight than the Mclaren, it ended up where the Enzo STILL was heavier. Furthermore, look at the amount of "luxury" equipment we have now. electric mirrors, power this , and power everything does not help with the weight either. So, in essence even if the murci right has a carbon chassis, it still wont lose that much weight to be a light weight. The reductions wont be enough to make a significant impact and justifiable in cost....

·
Registered
464 Posts
I agree on weight. Even an SVR was heavy with none of the power stuff and Luxury of the street cars its still 3k pounds which is still very heavy for a race car.

Lamborghini makes an outrageous looking car with street performance.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
i always thougt lambo's are too heavy: if the diablo or the murcielago were only
200 Kgs less they will be faster than anything on the road (no doubt they were very close ...) ,
i know many lambo's owner prefer some confort options but someone doesn't
i think they should produce a lighter supercar without Awd or stereo electric window .... and not for an hi priced limited serie( like the GT..), just as an option for the pure nocompromise :cool:

·
Registered
104 Posts
i think the tublar steel frame accounts for alot of the added weight. the race modles feel alot lighter than the street ones do,

·
Registered
142 Posts
keep in mind that the murci architecture is based on the diablo. so, the diablo being developed since the 90s? this means the weight is really hard to par down. Until they start off with a completely new chassis design etc, the weight cant be avoided. Now if it is a newly designed car from the ground up with weight loss in mind, I am not surprised it should be on par with the pagani zonda in weight. But, until then legislature worldwide would probably push the weigth back up due to additional safety equipment.... Oh well... you just can beat the law...

Well, that is what audi can be extremely good at. weight loss.:whip: If they just weight everything down to nuts and bolts and be super anal about the weight... then the new murci replacement might be lighter.

What about the new european law that mandates a certain bumper height... Any body know if this will affect the look of future lambos?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
legislature worldwide would probably push the weigth back up due to additional safety equipment....
I must admit that I'm on the side of Safety!!! Especially in cars that anyone with the money can buy regardless of driving skill or lack thereofl!!!

Even in all out racing with profesional Drivers, the safety and presevation of life Must and Does Come First at the expense of wieght!!!!

Skill is the Real Edge in Speed not Wieght!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts