Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Lamborghini LP560-4
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i have been toying with the idea for months and finally took the plunge! I spent two days decatting my LP560.

Carry on reading if you want the steps i took to do mine, and alsomy findings after driving it decatted.

It seemed daunting at first but actually was quite easy, it was just very labor intensive. I thought i would make a post in case any other LP560 owners are looking at this - as i found very minimal posts on it.

Process:
1. Once removing rear bumper, frame, heatshield and exhaust, you will now see the catalytic converters on both sides.
2. Put music on and get a decent chair because your back is going to get sore
3. I used a long masonry drill bit, drill, hammer and a tyre lever, endoscope, vacuum cleaner for this job.
4. I started by placing the drill bit against the cat and knocking it with a hammer in the center and then making a star sort of design by repeating the process in different areas of the cat.
5. Next i put the masonry drill bit into my drill and drilled all 6 holes straight through the cat.
6. I used the tyre lever to smack between all the holes i just drilled - the center of the cat will now be wobbly and loose. My tyre lever has a hook on the one end so i just hooked and scooped out the center of the cat.
7. I then positioned the tyre lever at the edges of the cat (where it joins the exhaust) and hammered until the lever pushes out the other side of the cat. Repeat this process all the way around and hook the cat and pull when you see any loose pieces.
8. Repeating the above process should have got out the rest of the material. I was very concerned about bits going into my engine... So i got a wire coat hanger and made a hook and slid it into the exhaust and got out the big pieces that i could see while looking in.
9. I slid a endoscope into the exhaust to view where the big pieces are hiding and grab out with coat hanger.
10. Next i slid a vacuum cleaner into the exhaust banks and sucked up as mamy pieces as i could - i made a thin plastic pipe which attached to my vacuum cleaner to get deep into the 3 pipes deep in the exhaust.
11. Repeat the coat hanger and vacuum cleaner until you cant see anything on the endoscope.
11. Next i cleaned up and started car.
12. Once everything seems fine put everything back together.

A local guy said that i didnt really even need to bother getting the pieces out as the bits of the cat are light and wouldve shot out as i started my car, but i really did not want to risk my engine.

So thats that, if anyone is thinking about decatting, it seems like a daunting process but it is quite simple just be prepared for an uncomfortable experience.

Feedback of decatting :
Immediately it opens up the sound of the exhaust, i have an aftermarket exhaust already but the lp560 always seemed muffled no matter what exhaust - the decat released all the snaps and cracks on gear changes and downshifts, absolutely awesome. I also noticed a significant power difference!

Listen to audio clip here:

·
Registered
2009 LP560-4
136 Posts
I thought about doing this when I put my catback on but didn’t have the balls. Good work, bet is sounds knarly.

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
563 Posts
That's an "I wish". What Country is that you're in?? I was hoping there was a way to do it without yanking the engine. Living here in the U.S. there's just no way most of us would gut the Cats unless we absolutely would know we would buried in the car (literally, wouldn't even have to be 6 feet under). When it comes time to sell we would have to at least cough up a good set of cats for the buyer, if not put them back on. We can avoid emissions for so long but usually owner transfer will require an emission test.

I de-cat downpiped a twin-turbo V8 (no engine removal, it was easy) and still have the cats for such a scenario so I am familiar with the improvement....... That must sound absolutely Beautiful, I wish......

·
Registered
LP 550-2 Spyder | FI Titanium exhaust | Swift Sport Springs | Fabspeed ECU Tune
78 Posts
Nice. I thought de-catting an LP was an engine out job. Would love to hear a sound clip posted on here or YouTube.

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,021 Posts
Damn that’s a lot of work! I thought about it but I didn’t want to go catless with the loc exhaust. Just too loud for me so I put the larini sport cats on….. Even now it’s still a little loud for me but oh well. You’re is going to sound amazing!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Pooh what a work you have done…., de-cat of my pre-lp is something what I am maybe also want todo because of the problems the CAT’s can give but I am afraid the Car gets to loud….

·
Registered
2010 Lamborghini LP560-4
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's an "I wish". What Country is that you're in?? I was hoping there was a way to do it without yanking the engine. Living here in the U.S. there's just no way most of us would gut the Cats unless we absolutely would know we would buried in the car (literally, wouldn't even have to be 6 feet under). When it comes time to sell we would have to at least cough up a good set of cats for the buyer, if not put them back on. We can avoid emissions for so long but usually owner transfer will require an emission test.

I de-cat downpiped a twin-turbo V8 (no engine removal, it was easy) and still have the cats for such a scenario so I am familiar with the improvement....... That must sound absolutely Beautiful, I wish......
Ah i forgot about a thing called emissions... Im in south africa, so no one really cares here to be honest haha

·
Registered
2010 Lamborghini LP560-4
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice. I thought de-catting an LP was an engine out job. Would love to hear a sound clip posted on here or YouTube.
Will definitely be putting comparisons and videos up! I also thought so, but I watched a guy doing an R8 with engine in on youtube and thought why not give it a bash

·
Registered
2010 Lamborghini LP560-4
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pooh what a work you have done…., de-cat of my pre-lp is something what I am maybe also want todo because of the problems the CAT’s can give but I am afraid the Car gets to loud….
I seem to think the pre LP can be done easily by using test pipes, might be wrong though. If its too loud im guessing you could just put your old cats back.

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
563 Posts
Ah i forgot about a thing called emissions... Im in south africa, so no one really cares here to be honest haha
Ah-Ha, Yessir, if that were the case here, I'd be done already..... But, as @TheYellowCarGuy expressed, I still wouldn't have the balls to do it THAT way....... ah, but if you don't gamble, you can't win, You are the Winner (y)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.