Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Lamborghini LP560-4
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One day a strong grinding noise appeared from behind the firewall during engine idle and driving. I jacked up my car and started it to trace the noise to find out it was coming from my AC compressor... I read some forums and nearly had a heart attack to find the repair cost of replacing it, so i did research to do it myself...

If you are interested in doing the replacement yourself, this guy has all my thanks as i watched his video every step of the way:

Before this, the extent of my work on cars was literally one oil change, and yes at a lot of times i thought i bit off more than i could chew, but i tried to keep faith that as long as i followed the steps in reverse everything would be fine putting it all back. Please keep all screws in designated packets, makes life a lot easier...

Some important suggestions when doing the repair job:
1. Replace ALL O rings that you come across, this will give you peace of mind that all the rubbers are soft and fresh.
2. Find out if your new compressor comes pre oiled eith PAG46 fluid, i filled up mine to find out it was preoiled and had to remove it again...
3. Once the oil pump and water pump are removed, replace the oil pump drive shaft O ring in the process, these are known to fail and while you are down there might as well sort it out - if it fails you have to remove EVERYTHING again...
4. Time installing the compressor with someone who can come pull a vacuum on your ac lines - from my limited knowledge, i believe the pag oil shouldnt be exposed to the atmosphere for too long as it absorbs moisture?
5. Once all fluids are topped up, take a deep breath and start it. Keep a close eye on all dials to make sure you have oil pressure etc. Turn off engine after 30 seconds and recheck fluids. Repeat this until your car is stable and idled up to operating temperatures. Go for a short drive and take coolant and oil with, stop off somewhere and check fluids again and top up if necessary. I did this for two days until i saw that it all worked itself through the system.
6. In the video he puts back the oil pump and water pump as one piece and said it is difficult to line up the plastic bit behind the unit, this is true. It is near impossible. A useful tip which i can offer further to his video is i removed the case of the water pump. I first fitted the plastic water pipe first, then slid the oil pump in, lined everything up, mounted it etc. Then i fitted the water pump case onto the end and made sure it slid into the plastic pipe - much more easier.

WARNING: I did get a low oil pressure warning and nearly had heart failure... I turned off the car and started it one more time and it was fine, it obviously just needed to circulate oil through the system.

To anyone who wants to take on this task, goodluck! All in it cost me around 2 000USD and that included me doing spark plugs, gearbox fluid, oil and coolant. Not bad considering normal quoting for just the ac replacement is 7000 and up.

·
Registered
386 Posts
That looks like a tough job at the LP560...
with PreLP it is much easier.
I've done it 2 times. LP500 and LP520. The oil pump doesn't have to go out.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Thank you for the video.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Part number for oil pump o-ring?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts