Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had someone ask me today why we went for the Lambo vs the more popular choice...the 458. He seemed to want to buy the Lambo but, had reservations. His education was from the magazines (etc) that all seemed to give the 458 the edge.

(Personally, I am not a 'Lambo Guy' or a 'Ferrari Guy'...I buy what I like)

Here were my responses:
1) Looks. Yes, the 458 is the best looking Ferrari in ages. No doubt about that. Being honest...most modern Ferraris are boring looking.( The 360CS and others are not on the boring looks list.) With all of that being said...in my opinion...the LP-570 SL looks vastly better than the 458. When I look at the 458 I do not get the same WOW feeling that I get from the SL. 100% subjective.

2) AWD. I know I am not a 'great driver'....I have no delusions of being anything beyond maybe a decent driver. The AWD on the Lambo is important to save my ass. Knowing its there makes the car feel more usable. Having tracked our previous 07 the 'on the margin' built in benefits of AWD for the average Joe driver is fantastic.

3) Build quality. The Lambo has obviously better build quality. 25 Years ago I detailed high end cars. (Pebble Beach winning Ferrari in the 80s, for example). I know how to pick over cars. I have picked over a 458 at the dealer...looked in all the deep dark recesses. Having also done the same on the equivalent Lamborghinis I have found the Lambo's details and overall build quality is superior. Look under the doors, the door jambs, the wheel wells, wheels themselves, stitching on the interior pieces....

4) Interior design. I do appreciate what Ferrari has done on the 458 but, I don't like the design. I just don't. The love the Lambo interior..the details are sublime. Again, 100% subjective.

5) The guy I was talking to asked if I was concerned about depreciation...of course I am.

He was still believing the myth that modern Ferraris don't depreciate like Lambos. I pointed out to him the fact that 430 Scuderias depreciated by 30% from 09-2010. Fact is, all modern cars depreciate at truly unnerving levels. No real reason to believe that the 458s won't depreciate faster vs the 430s. Ferrari is making MORE 458s! Lambo is only making 250 570's SLs per year..for the world. Am I suggesting the SL is somehow depreciation resistant?

Nope.

...3-4 years into the future both cars will be in the mid $100s...$150-170. In other words, epic loss in value. Such is the way for the modern super car. For reference sake..Californias are now reselling for the same as the Scuderias. The Scuds were more expensive by $50-75k...ouch.

6) He asked me about the transmissions/ clutches...the Ferrari having what some argue is the more 'modern' technology. I have driven the 458 with the double clutch and it does feel slightly faster. It does shift..slightly..quicker. Its almost too smooth...too...soft.

The Lambo has feel when it shifts...its changes gears with more enthusiasm. When driving at slow speeds...traffic..etc the new E-Gears shift with virtually no shudder of jerky-ness.

I personally prefer the Lambos transmission over the Ferrari. There is no way anyone can tell me that there is any significant difference in performance..with the double clutch vs the single in the Lambo. The new Lambos E-Gears are such a vast improvement over previous incarnations its honestly hard to believe.

7) Ride quality. I do track our cars, I do want a harder, firmer ride...Lambo wins. The Ferrari is designed to be more GT. Nothing wrong with that. I personally prefer my exotic cars to feel more..exotic. I will leave the cruising to the MBs of the world. Don't believe that the LP-570 is too harsh for to use as a distance driver. Its not too hardcore..its the perfect compromise.

8) Performance. Jeremy Clarkson claims in his Italian Connection video that the 458 is faster on the track. This statement was based on his opinion no real testing. The guy I was chatting with had seen the video and was under the impression that the 458 was vastly faster on the track. Well, its not.

Matter of fact from everything I have read the 570 SL and the 458 are equal. I would suggest that track tests where professional drivers compare car X to car Y are useless. None of us are professional drivers..and how much time do these cars really spend on a track? What the real question is which car feels better..to you. I have not driven either car on a track so I don't have any solid opinion. What is clear is that every professional test conducted has resulted in the cars being more or less equal on the track..

9) Price. Sort of an odd thing to discuss when spending over $200k on a car. But, price does factor into the decision making process. Our LP 570 has nearly every option and stickered for $267...we paid $242. A Ferrari 458 with roughly the same options would of been in the $290s. The 458 would of cost easily $50-60k more....

Now, the fun part...you have to play the Ferrari game to get a new Ferrari.

If you want to order one..wait a year +. Want a new one NOW...$30k over sticker. I am sure those over sticker premiums will evaporate in the next 12 months as Ferrari cranks up production.

10) Ferrari's are more common vs Lambos. Its not uncommon to see many Ferraris out and about in SoCal on any given day. Lambo is still a bit of a rarity. I don't know the production numbers...I think Ferrari makes 3-4 times the number of cars vs Lambo.

11) Coolness factor. Lambo wins. The CF on the 570 is simply stunning. In many ways the 570 SL is made of more leading edge exotic materials vs the 458. Lambos also seem to attract...younger owners. Many business owners...people who made their own money. I like this.

Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
412 Posts
:hail:One heck of a write-up R.Vic !!! Loved it!!! No.10 rings a bell where I live as there are 6 Ferrari's but only 1 LAMBO, Mine! :evil::whip:

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
R.Vic: good write up. A friend of mine pointed out why the Gallardo (all years) are so stunning in person - name another modern sports car with sharp edges/lines that look so good. The only car I could come up with that looked decent with sharp lines was the old DeLorean.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind, as you seem to favor the 570 on virtually every count! And I agree with your conclusions. Like most F cars, the 458 is almost feminine-looking next to a G. The visceral appeal just isn't there! There ain't nuthin' like a Lamborghini!

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
For me, # 9 does it. Not the price, but 'playing the Ferrari game'. And I would add to that the arrogance and contempt of Ferrari dealerships and corporate. Also, 30k$ over sticker for a brand new model is, I think, an underestimate.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
11) Coolness factor. Lambo wins. The CF on the 570 is simply stunning. In many ways the 570 SL is made of more leading edge exotic materials vs the 458. Lambos also seem to attract...younger owners. Many business owners...people who made their own money. I like this.

Did I miss anything?
Now THAT was a write-up! :tright:

You did miss one, though...

Go to ANY car event/drive where there are both Lambos and Ferraris. Then locate the HOTTEST girl there. 100% of the time, she will be with one of the Lambo owners. Guaranteed. :D

·
Registered
899 Posts
Unless I missed it, what about the number two spot with lamborghini? Sound!!!
Looks being #1 and exhaust note being #2. You simply cannot get the "F" car's v8 to sound like the "G", period.

It IS better to LOOK and SOUND better, right???:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not to mention the Lambo will be more reliable in the long run! I had a couple of buddies with Ferrari's and their ownership simply put... was a nightmare!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it will be interesting too see how the new McLaren mixes up the supercar pecking order....

·
Registered
369 Posts
I am a Lambo guy, and I love my Murci. But, for the sake of honesty, I've also had a 360 Spyder for almost 9 years now with no problem whatsoever.
360 spyders are probably my favorite ferrari ...thats awesome you havent had any problem. 2 of my partners here in tx have 360's and 430's they live by ferraris but they spend more time in the shop then they do at home or driving them. but maybe you take care of yours alot better. one of the guys gets his timing belt changed on his 360 like every 5k and i heard it isnt to cheap either. i think on the 430's they went to a chain instead of a belt. but again thats awesome you have went that long problem free...

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Honestly I think the real question is the new McLaren. 600HP @ 1300kg. The styling leaves me a bit cold, just not exciting enough, but the engineering is staggering and very clever in places!

It's going to be a contender, but I think it might take more out of the Ferrari market than the Lambo market.
Agreed, gvan, the MP4C-12 (I think it's the name), looks very interesting. In my opinion, definitely strong competition for the Ferrari 458 and the Lambo G, not so much for the M. But McLaren will come up with other models, more GT and also more upscale (read supercar) in the near future.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Honestly I think the real question is the new McLaren. 600HP @ 1300kg. The styling leaves me a bit cold, just not exciting enough, but the engineering is staggering and very clever in places!

It's going to be a contender, but I think it might take more out of the Ferrari market than the Lambo market.
I would say more like "frigidly cold", It's like the designers never left the 90's. Not a chance the Lambo purist will convert on style anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
He had a 355 than a 360. The F355 was more of a disaster really with cracked headers and always breaking down, while the 360 was more of a maintenance nightmare. However the 360 did have a battery drain problem that no one could figure out and was sooner or later told it was "normal".

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts