Lamborghini Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 18 month whirlwind ride with my Lamborghini Murcielago is over. I have sold it (taking a severe financial beating) to Lamborghini of Dallas. It has been listed on EBay and apparently is now in San Diego. See the add

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6290&item=4501915025&rd=1#mainImage

I purchased the 2002 Murcielago during April of 2003 from Bentley Downers Grove outside of Chicago after a 6 month long exhaustive search. They trade many exotics and always seem to have a Lamborghini or two in their inventory. This was before the Lamborghini of Dallas dealership was open. With only 2,600 miles on the smooth black dash, I was overwhelmed by the appearance, stature and presents of the car. The first test drive was an out of body experience – I was driving but it felt like I was watching someone else through the small rear window from the engine compartment behind. Driving and ultimately owning a Lamborghini! - every man and boy’s dream.

My Lamborghini spent a total of 7 months out of the 18 months in the repair shop at Lamborghini of Dallas. A broken hydraulic hose resulted in its first carted trip to Dallas where it stayed for nearly two months waiting for parts ordered one at a time until the 4th part - the dash board switch, was finally determined to be the failed mechanism. Other items needing warranty repair included the faulty 5 cent catch on the overhead sunglass compartment, and a drooping driver’s side visor. They didn’t fix the visor.

Within a short period of time, I experienced more “error” lights on the suspension module and the lift system would not work 100% of the time, the A/C unit would kick off at random, and squealed when the compressor cycled on and off. Also, a very noticeable hesitation occurred at 4,700 RPM’s regardless of speed or gear. I returned the car to Dallas for repair. After approximately one month of being on blocks at the Dallas dealership, I learned that the repair shop had still not found the reason for the hesitation and had no idea of when my car would be repaired and returned to me. I notified Lamborghini USA and Italy of my ongoing problems and dissatisfaction with this vehicle, my attorney was copied.

To the credit of Lamborghini USA, and their attorneys, they did respond and John Amette was assigned to find and fix the problems. I met with John at the Dallas dealership. He was very professional and interested. He committed to spend the next 2-3 days finding the solutions to my Murcielago’s woes. Additionally, they extended my warranty for another 10 months.

They replaced the spark plug housings –– bad “O” rings had caused the block to take on water – the housings were completely rusted. That didn’t fix the hesitation. They replaced the computer and the computer relay. Finally, after another 2 weeks of unsuccessful replacement and repair, they elected to replace the throttle bodies – this fixed the hesitation. A new shock was installed and the lift system and error lights were assumed repaired. John got my visor fixed.

Within a few months, the A/C problem described earlier still existed and once again, the lift system chose to work sometimes, error lights appeared again on the suspension module. I needed to have the Texas State emissions test performed on it, but the computer wouldn’t allow a reading. I called Dallas and after a month, learned that the new computer they installed had a glitch that made emissions testing impossible. I would need to bring it back to the dealer for a new computer.

After the vehicle was at the Dallas dealership for a month, I also learned that the clutch was worn and would need replacement – after only 8,400 miles and very civilized driving. The A/C problem was "my imagination". I was also reminded by the dealer more than once that I had not purchased the vehicle from L of Dallas. ????? I'm not sure now if my overall experience would have been better or worse.

I had had enough. I asked them to make an offer to purchase the vehicle. I decided I couldn’t sell the car myself in good conscience to anyone else. So now it is for sale in San Diego. I’m not sure if the clutch has been replaced so beware. At $189.000, it is being offered at a large profit over what I unloaded it for.

This whole story reminds me of the saying – “The two happiest days of my life were brought with this vehicle - the day I bought it and the day I got rid of it.” Ownership of this Murcielago has been the most dissatisfying purchase and decision of my adult life. It was a fabulous car to look at, great fun to drive when working, but a $280,000 inexcusable mechanical failure.

To all of you Lamborghini fans and enthusiasts – good luck with your dreams and purchases. Demand that the new Lamborghini make a better product. Murcielago and Gallardo clutch problems, e-gear problems, Koni shock problems and suspension error lights seem to plague many of us – but not me anymore - I'll never own another.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That just plain sucks.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you pursue lemon laws on the vehicle? Those 4 months of waiting for a necessary repair easily qualifies you for that in most states automatically.

Although I hope you reconsider the Lamborghini dumping, I cant say that I blame you for it at all! Horrid experience.

-Ben

·
Registered
31 Posts
Those guys at the Sportscar Company seem to have a good reputation. You might consider telling them about the ills of the car. They may not know about the problems with it since they probably bought it from Dallas at wholesale and are now retailing it.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Lamborghini experience.

Having a both problematic Viper and S55, I've sworn off Daimler-Chrysler as well. However, not having much choice for a family sedan, I gave DC a third chance and bought a new E55. So far, after seven months of ownership, the car has exceeded all my expectations.

I know you've sworn off Lamborghinis. Hopefully, someday you'll reconsider the Lamborghini make again. It is nice having you here, you are truly a class act.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I know you may be pi---ed off but why throw away the experience altogether. The new electronic cars are a pain, all of them inc Mercs etc.

Go back to owning a Countach, an investment and still the most head turning car EVER ( IMHO).
You woný lose money on it, sure it´s not so fast as the later cars but no electronics to go wrong, not even power assist steering !!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
terryjoint said:
Go back to owning a Countach, an investment and still the most head turning car EVER ( IMHO).
You woný lose money on it, sure it´s not so fast as the later cars but no electronics to go wrong, not even power assist steering !!
How about the bloody Magentti Marelli Box?
I have a 25th with broken Box in Germany which receives my Countach.ch Ignition box, we have one here on the board which runs also bad etc.
We had some others in Switzerland (lm002 etc) with broken MM-Boxes, that's the reason why we invest the time to have replacement ignitions.
Thanks God the replacements aren't that expensive, 900 Euro or about $1200 for a ready to install box and your car is running better than ever before...
btw. the permatune is a little more expensive.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Ok Raymond, but there are no electronic assistance devices like on the later cars. The ignition unit is very old technology.
Anyone with an older C/T like mine will realise that the Italians are not the best at any electonics !!

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
WHB: Your story is every car owners nightmare. It can happen to any brand of car and has happened. No manufacturer is immune. However it does appear that with a company like Lamborghini the risks are higher that this will happen to you. I know of a guy who bought a new 01 6.0 Diablo and wound up with the car in the shop for 8 months total out of a year of ownership. His repair invoices ( under warranty ) totaled almost $100K and I have copies of most of them. Lamborghini tried to fix the car ( field rep got involved ) but could not so, under threat of law suit ( lemon law ) they bought it back. Too bad you could not take this avenue as you would not have suffered such a severe financial loss.
When I visit my local Lambo dealer I always spend time looking in the service dept and have seen Murcielago's with the engine removed, whole dash removed, etc and have wondered what was going on? Also that .05 clip that was broken for the eyeglass holder. It is still broken or defective on most of the 03 and 04 Murci's I have been in. Apparently Lamboghini is not in a rush to fix it and just lets the dealer do the repair if there is one.
Before you think I am just bashing LAmbo understand that, even though I knew all the risks going into a purchase of one of these cars I bought a 99 Diablo and so far have had a good experiance with it. I was and am prepared for most anything but I felt it was worth the risk to own this beautiful car.
Would I buy another? a Murci maybe? At this point I don't think I want to stretch my luck. I have little patience for what you had to endure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not Buying A Gallardo Or Any Lamborghini !!!

Hope guys here doesn't mind this long story...

Me and my buddy would love to own a supercar, but we are 'regular guys' who just drive BMWs and Mercs. Occassionally we drive our friends' Ferraris (360, 575m, Straddle) during weekends for fun...

After Gallardo is out, I have always like to buy this car and most critics and car magazine gave this model lots of praise and seems this is the 'supercar' to own because Audi is behind it and the drivability factor will beats other super car like Ferrari.

Then I spend last few days to read all the post here and many other Lamborghini forums about Gallardo and the overall feedback from owners seems very positive until TODAY... after we TEST DRIVE it... its REALLY SUCKS! The quality, the supposed civilized performance, the well equipped amenities and reliability is ALL OUT of the window in no time... its so disappointing, my buddy gave up the test drive and let the salesman drove the car back to the showroom.

We are located in Hong Kong and there is only 1 dealer. One thing I learnt is when a low volume supercar still have inventories and no waiting list, you know something is not right. (don't forget as this is the most touted and highly recommended supercar to buy)

After my buddy went into the car and startup, the A/C is gone... then the seat belt on the driver side is gone... then the sales man panic and start to call his mechanic and he over heard the mechanic yelled..." we fixed it few times already.... " I thought, if thats call a fix, that something seriously wrong with their quality. In today's term, no car should have any problem with their A/C.

During the driving, the engine and transmission is NOT smooth and civilize like a Ferrari, stopping in front of the red light you can feel the car's engine is jerking and choking, lots of vibration and this car is definitely not well. There is not much miles on it, so I wonder how come the whole car is like falling apart like this? Also the vents, as the car went through some bumps, all the vents will closed because the plastic is losed, given the A/C is not working and its almost 30 degree out there, its just pain in the butt to seat inside.

After the testing, the salesman can't even say a word as he knows we will not buy this piece of junk. All his sales talk and his effort of covering up the inadequacy of this car exposes and he fall flat on his face.

Bottom line is Lamborghini Gallardo has done a great marketing job, but the quality of this car is in serious trouble. Thats why I have heard the price is falling like a rock in US and many are on Ebay waiting for another sucker.

The worst is when I read one of the thread here which lot of Hong Kong owners claim their Gallardo are so fabulous and so well behave... its a joke... if I were them, dump it and buy something else... the workmanship is just ridiculous.

Despite I am not as experience as most of you here who had own and drive so many supercars, I think tolerance has a limited, with such bad quality and lousy design, how can they trick people to pay a premium to buy an soap up Audi with a Lamborghini batch... what's wrong with the management?

I guess the disappointment is so overwhelming for me (as I have such high hope base on many comments here) me and buddy will never look it this brand EVER!!!!

Good Luck to you all!!!

bmccaw :wave:

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is kind of a sad reality of car repairs now. I have always favored finding a good independent mechanic like JRV or the guy I use here in town because there is a very small section of automotive repair people who are true mechanics rather than parts-swappers. A true mechanic understands how a car functions and what part each part is supposed to play. If there is a problem they THINK about what the related parts are and what failures might cause a problem like that. THEN they change parts. A parts swapper, by contrast, just looks in a book or calls a factory rep and changes the parts someone says might be bad without ever thinking about whether the swap makes sense. We get billed for each new unnecessary part with little recourse.

This will only get worse over time because now even the good independent mechanics can't get the necessary factory diagnostic tools to learn what they can about the problem. For example, troubleshooting any Ferrari after the 348 is a huge PITA without their proprietary SD-1 diagnostic computer which they won't sell to anyone but a dealer. Sooner or later this will catch up with them. I shudder to think what a modern Mercedes will cost to repair in 20 years when no one remembers any details about all the different interconnected computers inside.

Similarly, a true mechanic will REPAIR parts when they are repairable, as opposed to just swapping them. I just got my Testarossa back from the shop where I had sent it for a problem where it stalled intermittently at stop lights. The mechanic found that the throttle plate mechanisms had become dirty and weren't opening and closing smoothly. So he CLEANED them and charged me $250. He could just as easily have replaced them and charged me $2500 and I would've paid it because it did fix the problem, but it wouldn't be the FAIR or BEST solution. I NEVER quibble with this guy's bill when I get it because he's proven several times over that he's not in business to take advantage of me.

So remember to value your independent mechanic and to pressure any automaker to cooperate with the aftermarket. That's where the true talent often is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Man you guys need to get a grip here. After owning several exotics I can say Lamborghini including my two Merci's are my most reliable autos. I think the problem is your dealer/mechanics. In California we seem to have people who know these cars. Its probabaly worth shipping the cars to a knowlegeable service center that understands the cars and understands peoples reguirements for this type of auto. After all we demand the best thats why we drive these types of vehicles, you guys just need to find dealer/mechanics that understand your way of thinking. You want to talk about a problem vehicle let me talk to you about my Range Rover.

·
Administrator
5,166 Posts
cgperry said:
This is kind of a sad reality of car repairs now. I have always favored finding a good independent mechanic like JRV or the guy I use here in town because there is a very small section of automotive repair people who are true mechanics rather than parts-swappers. A true mechanic understands how a car functions and what part each part is supposed to play. If there is a problem they THINK about what the related parts are and what failures might cause a problem like that. THEN they change parts. A parts swapper, by contrast, just looks in a book or calls a factory rep and changes the parts someone says might be bad without ever thinking about whether the swap makes sense. We get billed for each new unnecessary part with little recourse.

This will only get worse over time because now even the good independent mechanics can't get the necessary factory diagnostic tools to learn what they can about the problem. For example, troubleshooting any Ferrari after the 348 is a huge PITA without their proprietary SD-1 diagnostic computer which they won't sell to anyone but a dealer. Sooner or later this will catch up with them. I shudder to think what a modern Mercedes will cost to repair in 20 years when no one remembers any details about all the different interconnected computers inside.

Similarly, a true mechanic will REPAIR parts when they are repairable, as opposed to just swapping them. I just got my Testarossa back from the shop where I had sent it for a problem where it stalled intermittently at stop lights. The mechanic found that the throttle plate mechanisms had become dirty and weren't opening and closing smoothly. So he CLEANED them and charged me $250. He could just as easily have replaced them and charged me $2500 and I would've paid it because it did fix the problem, but it wouldn't be the FAIR or BEST solution. I NEVER quibble with this guy's bill when I get it because he's proven several times over that he's not in business to take advantage of me.

So remember to value your independent mechanic and to pressure any automaker to cooperate with the aftermarket. That's where the true talent often is.

This is why it's hard to warm up to these new cars, you can't touch'em, part of the bonding process and passion is understanding the car's workings, and being able to do something about it yourself. That's all going away, and so will my enthusiasm. Rolling computers SUCK!

L

·
0 Posts
cgperry said:
there is a very small section of automotive repair people who are true mechanics rather than parts-swappers.
Right On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fred

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Well I am throwing my 2 cents in. I own two 01 6.0's, one is an SE and three
03 Murcies.

I must say ALL the vehicles have been fairly trouble free. HOWEVERE!!!!, I do think this is do to the fact that I have sent EACH car, the moment I purchae them, to Steve and Al of MILANO IMPORTS in Gilroy, CA for what they call a MAJOR NEW service check. The price has ranged from about 4,500 to 6,500 depending on the car.

To me this is been WELL WORTH it. On each car they have found minor and major items that either they fixed the RIGHT way or gave a good enough description that I was able to relay to my authorized dealer for warranty work.

I have used the DEALER in Vancouvcer B.C. to do all the warranty work, again EXCELLENT work, after they have been advised exactly what to do based on MILANO'S investigations.

They order parts right away and fixed it right away.

I believe any car can have problems and indeed some of my cars are better than others, however I would not go away from these. I would highly recommend the service I have obtained, it WORKS for me. After all what is 5k when you have paid 275K for a car, with this you will have NO PROBLEMS!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Since these cars are had made they are all different in some ways. Some are faster, some are smother etc.. They cant all be perfect and problems do happen.

I agree with the cars changing and only for the worse. This consolidation of the auto makers suck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I go back to the dealer issue on this. The Murcielago and the Gallardo are magical cars - come on, you know they are. I defy anyone not to be moved by their mechanical aesthetic presence and total 'package'. I saw a Gallardo in a London Bentley showroom today- God, it stood out as a thing of beauty.

As a Murcielago owner - allow me a moment longer....

The problem here, the central problem, is the dealers. I have been lied to, stuff has been covered up - it's just a joke. The fact that many of you on this forum (me included) can afford to buy these cars (without a stretch) rather distinguishes us from those selling them. Grrrrrr!

I think that most of the ownership problems cited on this Forum would be completely negated or neutralised by open and honest dealers who confronted and solved issues without bulls**t. I really do. Lamborghini's reputation is being seriously damaged in some markets by second rate dealers.

Sorry. Rant over. Neil

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
bentasm1 said:
That just plain sucks.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you pursue lemon laws on the vehicle? Those 4 months of waiting for a necessary repair easily qualifies you for that in most states automatically.

Although I hope you reconsider the Lamborghini dumping, I cant say that I blame you for it at all! Horrid experience.

-Ben
Ben,
I'm not certain, but I believe in some states (if not all ?), the lemon law would only be applicable to the original retail purchaser of the vehicle. Not if you purchase a used car. As I stated, I may be incorrect.
Regards,
Jake

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.