Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted this in another thread, but thought it thought I would share here as well. Several years ago, I bought a little Jalpa model I found on eBay. This is the only model I have seen for the Jalpa. Since I have been stuck at home, I did a bit more tinkering with it. Pretty close to my car. Fun little prop to have on my bookshelf.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
That's an Alezan model from France, I built several of them, especially our former FLA12203, I made one with the rubber bumper and the later with the euro bumper as sold.

Looksmart made the Jalpa as well, you can also find on eBay.

Minichamps made a silver and red one, the silver I converted into the second version of CLA12001.

And whitebox makes the Spyder as present nowadays in funo's museum.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,070 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Man I have been looking for a Jalpa model for years. Every swap meet I go to I look for one. They must be uber rare. Can you buy them now?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Man I have been looking for a Jalpa model for years. Every swap meet I go to I look for one. They must be uber rare. Can you buy them now?
As mentioned you can find them easily on eBay in scale 1:43

Did you see my scratch built 350 GTs?
You did them entirely yourself? That's amazing.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I started with a CG model from Turbo Squid. It was not built to print, and much of it was pretty poorly done. I reworked and modified the model to be printable, using the original as a template. Much was not accurate and I probably would have been better off to start from scratch. I broke it up into pieces small enough to print in our small printer.

Once I had everything printed, I made molds of the parts and cast a second model out of resin. Some parts needed a different type of printer, so I used an online printing service.

I originally thought I might try to sell them, but it doesn't make sense. The parts fit poorly and the cost of materials would make them cost an absolute fortune. I don't think it makes sense to charge a ton of money for a model that is an absolute pain to build.

I do stop-motion animation, so my models are a way to experiment with new materials and fabrication techniques.

If you like the GT, you should check out the Miura.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
That is really cool chris. That was a lot of work. I have never had the patience for CG or CAD. I have done some house design but more for need than desire. I would rather dive in , sketch something rough on paper and then start fabbing. (Probably due to my generation growing up without computors). I like working on my computer but not really playing on it. I probably waste a lot of time not spending more time designing and less fabricating. Maybe we could trade some performance work or parts on your jalpa for a model of mine. Could you replicate the countach wheels and air intakes? That would be one of a kind. I am going to replace all my manley stainless valves with titanium. I also have a set of great crower springs and multitudes of parts. Let me know what you need . Lee

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That is really cool chris. That was a lot of work. I have never had the patience for CG or CAD. I have done some house design but more for need than desire. I would rather dive in , sketch something rough on paper and then start fabbing. (Probably due to my generation growing up without computors). I like working on my computer but not really playing on it. I probably waste a lot of time not spending more time designing and less fabricating. Maybe we could trade some performance work or parts on your jalpa for a model of mine. Could you replicate the countach wheels and air intakes? That would be one of a kind. I am going to replace all my manley stainless valves with titanium. I also have a set of great crower springs and multitudes of parts. Let me know what you need . Lee
I am a professional animator. Patience might be the most important requirement for the job. I do about half computer animation and half stop-motion animation. Almost everything in stop-motion is in the physical world and all of it has to be built from scratch. I have been doing a lot fabrication and puppet making. This keeps me busy for much longer on an animation project. I worked at Laika for years. With your interest in making things, you would probably get a real kick out of the behind the scenes stuff.

My posts are deceptive. I have been working on these models for years. I work on them when I am between projects at work and in my free time during weekends and evenings. I am stuck at home due to quarantine and have had little work to do, so I have been working on models much of the day for several weeks. What I am trying to say is that these things move at a snails pace. I started the Miura 7 or 8 years ago. The other thing is, none of this stuff has to "work". They are just for show. Things don't line up, end up being super delicate, are not accurate, etc. Nothing has to function, so it doesn't matter.

I am happy to help with your projects. It would just depend on my available time. Designing wheel rims doesn't sound too bad, but I would have to do it correctly. All of the dimensions would have to be proper and accurate for them to function correctly. I use animation software for all of my stuff. I am not sure if the animation models can be converted to something that will work in a milling machine or something similar.

For example. I made the Miura rims from a plastic water pitcher. I cut the last couple inches off the pitcher and then cut a circle out of the next 2 inches or so. I flipped the ring piece and glued it to the bottom. This gave me a round base to start with that flared out from the center. I used plastic bottle caps for the wheel center. I shaped a piece of wood into the shape of the spoke holes and wrapped it with a hardening putty. I dug out the wood when the putty hardened. I used the clay to get the shaping right and balsa wood for the little strengthening wings and such. when the shape was right, I made a silicon mold and cast the rims in resin.

The models for me are a platform for learning and experimenting with fabrication techniques. 3D printing, Fiberglass, mold making, casting materials, wood, metal, styrene, etc. I take what I learn and apply it to projects at work. If something looks good on screen for a few moments, I achieved the goal.

Like I said, I am more than happy to help, I just want you to know what to expect and the kind of stuff I do.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Awesome modeling

Those are outstanding models, and very innovative techniques. The clever use of the various materials is epic. Awesome work.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I can’t wait for a company to make a 1/18 scale model of the Jalpa!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
That is amazing Chris. You should take the lambo models and make a film for u tube with puppets. I bet it would be entertaining and get a lot of views. I am hoping to make the trek up to the pacific NW later this summer but really don't know with corona if we will even be able to go. I still want to see your car. I am waiting forever on parts for mine. Corona has slowed down production to a snails pace. Lee

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is amazing Chris. You should take the lambo models and make a film for u tube with puppets. I bet it would be entertaining and get a lot of views. I am hoping to make the trek up to the pacific NW later this summer but really don't know with corona if we will even be able to go. I still want to see your car. I am waiting forever on parts for mine. Corona has slowed down production to a snails pace. Lee
That would be great Lee. I think you would get a kick out of my projects and it would be fun to go over the Jalpa together.

I hope to do some photography and animation with the models when I get them done. Weather has not been very cooperative lately. I got inspired by this guy who does photography with model cars and sells coffee table books of it. He created a whole imaginary world.

http://www.visitelginpark.com/index.html

https://www.amazon.com/Elgin-Park-Ideal-American-Town/dp/3791345486/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=elgin+park&qid=1589472678&sr=8-2

Pocher makes some incredible 1/8 scale Lamborghini models. I hope to build a couple of those some day.

https://www.pocher.com/uk-en/shop/1-8-model-kits.html

I have some other projects in mind. Long story. Keeps me out of trouble.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Wow. those are realistic. I would love to see you do some with the lambos.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts