Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I am looking to purchase my first Gallardo and I am looking at 2006-2008. I know they are the same production car, but have there been any advancements in these years that make one more reliable than another?

I know everyone has their opinions and I respect that, but I am mainly looking for facts on this one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I have a 2006 and it serves me well.

I would purchase the 2006, 07 or 08 that had the options for which I desired (Color, interior, eGear or manual transmission, mileage, wheels, exhaust, carbon fiber accessories, etc.).

For example, a nicely after market enhanced 2006 might trump getting a 2007 or 08.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
There isn't much mechanical difference from 2006 to 2007 to 2008 is there? I thought there were improvements from 2005 to 2006 and then again from 2008 to 2009.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
There isn't much mechanical difference from 2006 to 2007 to 2008 is there? I thought there were improvements from 2005 to 2006 and then again from 2008 to 2009.
You are correct.

Significantly improvements were made in 2006 models and again in the 2009 models.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
You are correct.

Significantly improvements were made in 2006 models and again in the 2009 models.
So based on our thoughts, the OP should have his answer then...

Don't matter what year you're looking at between 2006, 2007, or 2008....you're pretty much looking at the same car with similar reliability and performance....of course larger the mileage, potentially more maintanence issues...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
So based on our thoughts, the OP should have his answer then...

Don't matter what year you're looking at between 2006, 2007, or 2008....you're pretty much looking at the same car with similar reliability and performance....of course larger the mileage, potentially more maintanence issues...
From one of my earlier posts which I summarized the advantages over earlier pre 2006 models:

"I have a 2006 coupe which has the following advantages over earlier versions:

1. Navigation system,
2. Lift system raises the front end 5 inches (Allows you to use auto car washes. without it you pay 3 times as much for a hand wash).
3. Lift system allows me to put car on the Amtrak Auto train (Need 5 inches of clearances)
4. Better clutch wear and smoothing shifting between gears.
5. Fewer campaigns (Factory recalls to fix things) than the ealier models.

Also, I understand the egear shifts smoother.

Now having said all that there are plenty of forum members that have pre 2006 G-Cars that are quite happy with them."

·
Registered
484 Posts
I probably wouldn't want a 2006 car with 1,000 miles on it that's been sitting for 7 years in a garage somewhere barely driven.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
All 05's have a lift.

Biggest difference between 05-06 are these three things:

1. Different, ie "smaller", first gear

2. Different exhaust (this is where the extra 20 hp came from)

3. Navigation (branding package also had the "Lamborghini" on the dash which was not available in 04-05)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have an 06 w/ just under 40,000 miles on it and it has been perfect. Just make sure the maintenance was done regularly, and do your own and the 2006 will take you far.

·
Registered
792 Posts
In 2006 there was a good round of changes. In 2008 they made some good changes as well to the car. In 2009, it became a whole new motor and transmission changed as well.

More important questions to me is:

what are you using it for?
Just a get up and go car?
Tracking it?
TT it?
Manual or Egear?

·
Registered
361 Posts
For what it's worth, I bought my 04 with 9k miles on it and now has 14k. I haven't had to do anything to it besides change the oil. Looking forward to the 15k service just so I can do some more work on it:). My car has been bullet proof. So I can only imagine an 06-08 car that was taken care of would be all the better!

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I was shopping, the consensus seemed to be 2006 or later were the years to look at, although everyone seemed to agree that the Gallardo overall was a very reliable car no matter what year you bought. That's what swayed me from the F430.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Unless I have my facts wrong, with the `07 MY they re-routed some hoses -- e-gear I think -- so they were not as close to the exhaust system. Believing this to be true, it was one of the reasons I decided on an `07. I must say, however, that I bought an `04 G that had 6700 miles on it, and when I traded it in on my `07, it was just shy of 16k. Other than routine maintenance, the only problem I ever had with it was to have the reverse switch replaced. I've had my `07 going on two years now and have had no problems with it. They are great cars!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Making the Tough Decision, which one to Buy?

I am just a Junior Member but they keep sending me AARP mail, so I feel Like a Senior Member.

I jumped in BOTH Feet late last year!

What would I have done differently? PPI and SNAP Test by a Dealer and someone with every slip of paperwork supporting their claim the Service Intervals were done timely. Run the VIN through Dealer and Car FAX to make sure everything is clean. Recalls and Service updates are complete, if they apply.

I would still get under the car and look for leaks from sitting around too much. rear seals should be replaced with every other Clutch. Advice to plan on sitting aside $2K to $3K per year in a piggy bank to be ready for the next service interval. Then the Dealer sign off of Authorized Service work. Brakes are in check as well as Calipers and Wear Sensors. These only contain HIGH End components, not priced like your Daily Driver. Capable of stopping from 200MPH Plus...

Next thing to prepare for is "Sales Tax or Use Tax", it depends on your State (5% for example). Some other States require Property tax on every vehicle you own instead of Use or Sales Tax. "License Plates", In Iowa it is 1% of what the car cost NEW for 8 years then half just to have a license plate on it...

Aftermarket Parts, if you want them, Exhaust, Carbon Fibre, Skirts, Wheels (Factory and Aftermarket) You often get them for free or less. Stereo Upgrades often De-Value a car from some feedback, I have just decided the V10 Engine is the Only music I need to listen to in the Gallardo. No Security Code issues that way.

Features, Clear Bonnet, Wheel choice, 6 Disc CD Changer, Rear Camera w/ Nav., 6 speed vs. e-Gear. Pieces and Parts, just a small box of screws and maybe a plastic cover can cost a few hundred bucks or more.

Little things like owners manuals, radio manual, service guide and Leather Case. 2 working Keys and Working FOBS, only the Dealer can reprogram them together with the Car. Easy $1K just in these few items. The Valet key... (can't get them on some years any longer) Biggest thing... When was the Clutch last replaced and Filter and Fluids on the AWD (VT) system. But if all is maintained they are VERY RELIABLE.

2006 if you are keeping to a Budget, 2009 if Not an issue gives you the 5.2 Litre and front end Lift as it became available as a Option may be important.

Then I agree, how are you going to use it? A Driver, Racer or Garage Queen?

Love my 2004 but I am Hands ON, took things at face value and waited half my life to get a Super Car! My Ferrari desires have just disappeared...

Love it in the BULL Ring!

·
Registered
286 Posts
PPI and SNAP Test by a Dealer
Little bit off topic, but would like to reiterate the PPI. I was looking at a car over 1200 miles away the dealer said ITS PERFECT! I was about to pull the trigger but then talked to Lamborghin San Diego (Symbolic), I ponied up the money to have the car towed there and inspected.

The email I got after 1 hour of inspection from the dealer was

"Max you just spent the best $155 dollars(1 hour service) of your life"

The car has a low oil pressure light coming on, that the dealership(seller) FAILED to mention. I mean I would of been devastated to buy the car and right off the transport something as serious as a low oil pressure light was on. The transportation ended up costing $300 and inspection $315 so $615 total, but how much did it save me by steering me away from the car, I cannot even begin to imagine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts