Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Evo Spyder AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-
I am leasing a 2020 Evo Spyder. Since Friday, November 13th my car has been with Lamborghini North Scottsdale as it's waiting for Lamborghini to send a part (rear cradle of engine).

As a result of it taking 3 months for them to fabricate and send the part I asked LFS forgive or defer the payments as it's their fault that the car is sitting there and not being used.

Short Answer from LFS: declined, it was in an accident so we can't waive any payments.
Does anyone think I'm unreasonable here since it's ONLY Lamborghini that has forced me to be without my car as a result of this part not being available.

I get it if other parties are involved: insurance,dealer, etc. but in this exact case- Lamborghini has failed to produce a part in a timely manner and still insist on sticking me with the monthly payment.

would love feedback and/or suggestions. Should I have my attorney take a stab at it?

Thanks,

Omar

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi All-
I am leasing a 2020 Evo Spyder. Since Friday, November 13th my car has been with Lamborghini North Scottsdale as it's waiting for Lamborghini to send a part (rear cradle of engine).

As a result of it taking 3 months for them to fabricate and send the part I asked LFS forgive or defer the payments as it's their fault that the car is sitting there and not being used.

Short Answer from LFS: declined, it was in an accident so we can't waive any payments.
Does anyone think I'm unreasonable here since it's ONLY Lamborghini that has forced me to be without my car as a result of this part not being available.

I get it if other parties are involved: insurance,dealer, etc. but in this exact case- Lamborghini has failed to produce a part in a timely manner and still insist on sticking me with the monthly payment.

would love feedback and/or suggestions. Should I have my attorney take a stab at it?

Thanks,

Omar

I would think you have a 'loss of use' claim with the insurance regardless. Not sure why you feel Lambo is at fault given current worldwide shortages and back logs given all the COVID lockdowns. Similar back logs are everywhere. Been waiting 3 months for a replacement cooktop from Germany! Go try to buy some furniture right now....etc.

But I would think your loss of use claim would be substantial. From my understanding the claim is equal to what it would cost to rent similar car for the day. Also diminished value is large if your state allows. Would think you need to consult an attorney familiar with car insurance claims.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
Sorry to hear your hooked up but I think the dealership is on solid ground. As to involving an attorney, although I respect the profession and have one I use as needed......I would only solicit his/her services if there is any hope of a favorable outcome (doubtful). That is, you could be out the lease payment + attorney fees. Better fortune going forward!

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Was it an "accident" on your part meaning you caused the issue? If its a part that doesn't typically need to be on hand in inventory due to the accident then I would think their denial is appropriate.

If the accident is on them and something happened with the car where it failed then what you're asking for seems appropriate.

In the first scenario if you have a rental car which is being paid by your insurance during the time the car is being fixed or waiting to be fixed even if it won't last the entire time of the waiting period then they have done there part as an accident (again if being caused by you) is no ones fault other than potentially yours even and the blame or burden shouldn't be dropped on Lamborghini or your insurance company.

I don't know the full story but contributing based on your post. Best of luck and sorry to hear about the wait. What did happen?

·
Registered
2020 Evo Spyder AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to hear your hooked up but I think the dealership is on solid ground. As to involving an attorney, although I respect the profession and have one I use as needed......I would only solicit his/her services if there is any hope of a favorable outcome (doubtful). That is, you could be out the lease payment + attorney fees. Better fortune going forward!
Appreciate the feedback- to be clear I hold no ill will towards the dealer. I'm frustrated directly with LFS as they are the one responsible with producing the part. The dealer is just like me- sitting their helpless and waiting for the part.

·
Registered
2020 Evo Spyder AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was it an "accident" on your part meaning you caused the issue? If its a part that doesn't typically need to be on hand in inventory due to the accident then I would think their denial is appropriate.

If the accident is on them and something happened with the car where it failed then what you're asking for seems appropriate.

In the first scenario if you have a rental car which is being paid by your insurance during the time the car is being fixed or waiting to be fixed even if it won't last the entire time of the waiting period then they have done there part as an accident (again if being caused by you) is no ones fault other than potentially yours even and the blame or burden shouldn't be dropped on Lamborghini or your insurance company.

I don't know the full story but contributing based on your post. Best of luck and sorry to hear about the wait. What did happen?
I definitely see your point on whether a part is normally on hand or not due to circumstance. This was a careless accident when I allowed someone to drive it. Car drifted sideways into The curb extremely hard causing a crack in the rear engine cradle. So it was self induced harm for all intensive purposes. (Lesson learned).

Although your posts makes sense I also don't think that's the way auto manufacturers work.I believe they normally have all parts on hand for "in production"parts.
Imagine selling my a widget and a few weeks down the line I broke something with the widget- how can you not be prepared to rectify the issue with the widget?
Apple is a great example- how many people mess up their iPhones (screens, batteries, shell, etc) but Apple foresees these issues happening and are prepared. 🤔 perhaps a false equivalency as apple produces in the millions (but that forces an extremely mature supplychain) you're telling me Lambo can't figure their sh*t out with 3 production cars?
Come on.

·
Registered
2020 Evo Spyder AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would think you have a 'loss of use' claim with the insurance regardless. Not sure why you feel Lambo is at fault given current worldwide shortages and back logs given all the COVID lockdowns. Similar back logs are everywhere. Been waiting 3 months for a replacement cooktop from Germany! Go try to buy some furniture right now....etc.

But I would think your loss of use claim would be substantial. From my understanding the claim is equal to what it would cost to rent similar car for the day. Also diminished value is large if your state allows. Would think you need to consult an attorney familiar with car insurance claims.

Hey- thank you for the feedback and quick response.

Only reason LFS bears any responsibility is because I am paying them for the car while they hold the burden of getting me the part for the car in which I'm paying for.
If you are providing a good or service to the market, it's your responsibility to be able to provide the services and/or parts done in a timely manner.

I appreciate the citation of furniture supply chains and other hiccups most experience with COVID but I don't believe it's a good excuse for their supply chain because Lambo isn't sold in mass volume the way a Merc or BMW is- as there are limited quantities and limited demand in relation to the auto industry; it shouldn't take 3 months even if they had to produce and fabricate the part from scratch.

albeit said the part was received at the port on Friday but I don't hold the insurance company or the dealer responsible as they have no control. I hold them responsible because they have been up and running and took so long.

Spoke with collision center and they shared that Aston Marton and Porsche have forgiven payments based off these exact situations- so I guess I'm just gonna have to suck it up and be screwed.

ill head to Ferrari I suppose in the end; LFS should know it's not just about the money but also the principle. There is no good leg for them to stand on when a precedent has been set already.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I definitely see your point on whether a part is normally on hand or not due to circumstance. This was a careless accident when I allowed someone to drive it. Car drifted sideways into The curb extremely hard causing a crack in the rear engine cradle. So it was self induced harm for all intensive purposes. (Lesson learned).

Although your posts makes sense I also don't think that's the way auto manufacturers work.I believe they normally have all parts on hand for "in production"parts.
Imagine selling my a widget and a few weeks down the line I broke something with the widget- how can you not be prepared to rectify the issue with the widget?
Apple is a great example- how many people mess up their iPhones (screens, batteries, shell, etc) but Apple foresees these issues happening and are prepared. 🤔 perhaps a false equivalency as apple produces in the millions (but that forces an extremely mature supplychain) you're telling me Lambo can't figure their sh*t out with 3 production cars?
Come on.

I get it and thanks for the clarification. Either way this sucks for you as you are waiting. My only response would be that cradle is probably never supposed to fail unless the car is totaled meaning it's not something common that would need to be replaced. I'm guessing here but I would think it may be the only one that needed to be replaced other than on a car thats being brought back from the dead with a salvaged title. It seems like a very odd part to me and my guess is thats what ultimately caused the delay... not to mention with Covid they have even more freedom to make excuses, whether thats happening or not. Sorry to hear.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
Appreciate the feedback- to be clear I hold no ill will towards the dealer. I'm frustrated directly with LFS as they are the one responsible with producing the part. The dealer is just like me- sitting their helpless and waiting for the part.
I fully understand your prospective and I am very sorry to hear about your problem. I know your an intelligent person and forgive this advice if inappropriate but I would approach the dealership respectfully and ask if a Lamborghini loaner is possible understanding that cultivating a relationship is a two way street. i.e win-win. Let us know what, if any, resolution you achieve. Hang tough!

·
Registered
2020 Evo Spyder AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I fully understand your prospective and I am very sorry to hear about your problem. I know your an intelligent person and forgive this advice if inappropriate but I would approach the dealership respectfully and ask if a Lamborghini loaner is possible understanding that cultivating a relationship is a two way street. i.e win-win. Let us know what, if any, resolution you achieve. Hang tough!
that's a different perspective I hadn't thought of entertaining but I have been seeing that Lambo doesn't have any cars to really sell right now so I'm hesitant on bothering to make that ask. With that said, I just got off the phone with Volkswagen NA and they made a firm claim,"regardless of the reason you are waiting fir the part- it is not our policy to forgive payments for any reason (after I cited Porsche and Aston Martin).

I asked for a fair resolution and I'll get a cal in a few days (but it won't be a $4,000 resolution let alone $2,000Lol).

maybe they'll send me a lego set. 😂

·
Registered
319 Posts
With the clarification above, I would first state, that my guess is LF is a different company than Lamborghini. Sure, they are associated, but when it gets down to brass tacks they are probably different entities.

Next I would see about your coverage for loss of use.

Last, since I am an outside the box kind of guy, I would not have sat on my butt for 3 months. My guess is if you really wanted the part you could get it in 2 days from salvage yard that works in high-end cars. Why this route was not explored I do not know. Stating that these guys should have the parts on hand is pretty silly. I needed to have a graziano trans rebuilt during covid. Guess what? No parts from italy. Luckily I was able to source a serviceable unit to get the trans rebuilt no issues.

It really sucks. Thank goodness it is a lease, since the accident on the new car would cause you even more loss of the value of car. Look to see what loss of use recourse you have from your insurance. Dont know why you dont want to pursue that. After all, that is what insurance is for.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
^^great idea but would parts from a salvage yard in anyway violate the warranty or lease agreement?

·
Registered
319 Posts
^^great idea but would parts from a salvage yard in anyway violate the warranty or lease agreement?

I dont know, but given the inability of Lambo to supply, I would hope you could get mount and have inspected as a "serviceable" item. Much in the same way parts from the current car are removed during disassembly, if you are replacing with the same 'serviceable' part number by same manuf, not sure how that would be an issue?

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
Great idea though! I will file that away under the thinking out of the box category. (y) As we have said before collectively we are a force to be reckoned with.

·
Super Moderator
3,501 Posts
Why haven’t you made the person that crashed it cover the payment? The way I see it, it’s his fault.

Also, if you had financed it with say chase bank, would you expect them to defer payments? LF and Lamborghini are not the same company, one is an auto manufacturer and the other is a financial institution.

You don’t have a leg to stand on here. It doesn’t matter what brand you are with, they are not responsible for your negligence.

Good luck but be upset at the person that crashed your car, not the dealer, brand or bank.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I dont see why the engine cradle could not be repaired. I had the jalpa cradle strengthened with plate steel below where it was weak. I would write a letter to the president of Lamborghini, explain your problem and ask for help very nicely. Say that you love lambos but will change to Ferrari if they dont help a little at least. I switched from Ferrari due to the really crappy way I was treated by the dealership. Good luck. Anyone out there should avoid Boardwalk Ferrari in Dallas. Lee

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
First of all, the entire situation sucks. Crazy amount of empathy, albeit no cash value, sent your way.

So my thoughts, though fortunately not from personal experience...

1) Yes, if Lamborghini truly valued your future business, they'd try to work with you.
2) Given the circumstances, what could they do if you just stopped paying, citing their inability to "perform," until the car is returned. As previously expressed, I share a huge distaste for the legal profession, but perhaps worth the hour free consultation to get the perspective of an asshat, I mean professional. Absolute worse case they send this to collection, then pay it? Or take the hit to your credit score?

The lease certainly complicates the situation.

Reactions: Flash Gordon

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
I would not advise nonpayment because then you convert a short term problem into a long term one with many seen and unforeseen unfavorable problems/outcomes. If you go that route, good luck with loans of any sort in the future.........
I would still advise having conversations with the manager at the dealership while communicating you are looking for a long term relationship with the brand. Admittedly depending upon the dealership that may or may not be well received but it's at least worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,487 Posts
What does your lease agreement state? my bet is they will not deviate from what it states one bit.

I completely agree with junior mint. You should seek restitution or direct your anger at the person who crashed your car. He or she didn’t break a part that is readily available; they crashed a very odd part that is not an on the shelf product on a car with a limited production run. I don’t blame the factory one bit for taking three months given the circumstances, and the financial services arm that is leasing the car to you I don’t blame at all. I would also check with your own insurance carrier and read the fine print on that policy.

at the end of the day, you are responsible for their car that you are renting for a short 2 or 3 years, and you damaged it via your lending it to a friend. Have some empathy with them and try the spoonful of sugar approach instead of hiring a lawyer. You might also want to check your lease agreement to see if your insurance (I.e. you) will owe them additional diminished value for the accident at the end of your lease term in much the same way as you would owe them for excess miles or excess wear and tear.

sorry to hear of your misfortune but I think approaching them with a little more humility or sugar might be your best option here. I think once you reread your lease agreement you will find that they have a heck of a lot more leverage over you in this matter than you have over them.

good luck for sure!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.