Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a 15 day tour of northern Italy. Among the stops were trips to a couple of small towns, Sant’Agata and Maranello, the Lamborghini and Ferrari factories.

New on the Ferrari tours are the leather area and the foundry where they actually mill out the engines. The wind tunnel is said to be used for all model designs now, not just the F1 series. About one in 20 cars on the V-8 assembly line were 430’s. On the V-12 line were 612’s and 575’s, about 50-50. All models were driven inside and outside of the complex for test driving. Ferraris were everywhere being driven about. They say the paint shop building may open for tours soon. All the buildings are HUGE.

Some tid bits as I remember: The V-8 engines are on an assembly line and each one made by several people producing many engines a day. The V-12 engines are made by a single person in around 7 hours. The engines are bench tested at full power for a few hours before installation and again tested on the track in the car. The guide hinted that breaking the engine in by us owners was a good idea but not really necessary.

Lamborghini was different, much smaller. The workers who begin with the car finish with it thereby keeping up the interest. They do not get the same job over and over again. There were many Gallardos on that tract and just a handful of Murcielagos. About one in 10 were the roadster version. I was able to talk with a few of the guys on the line and actually get right into some cars to see exactly how they were made. My main interest was the framework. They do not let you get this close at Ferrari. We went through the leather factory. It is amazing to see these people work. I got a few good smiles.

The Lamborghini foundry and frame building areas are in the design building complex and strictly off limits.

Overall both factories were very clean, impressive and the workers seemed family oriented. The Ferrari tour group was around 20 people. The Lamborghini tour was just the 2 people I went there with; it was very intimate.

aehaas

·
Banned
80 Posts
Great write up A.E. The Lambo tour sounds awesome. Talking to the workers and getting to see how the cars are built up close is truly fantastic. A real rarity with today's businesses to be offered that kind of access. I hope to get there myself one day :)

Oh, and post some pics :D

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time. I think I speak for everyone.... We need some pictures!! :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ali good to hear you had a fun time. Let's do Ruths Chris soon. I have a new Orange Diablo 6.0 to show you that'll be here in a few days. :) Love to hear in person your trip and experiences.

-Ben

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
bentasm1 said:
Ali good to hear you had a fun time. Let's do Ruths Chris soon. I have a new Orange Diablo 6.0 to show you that'll be here in a few days. :) Love to hear in person your trip and experiences.

-Ben

Can I join you guys? I somehow need to fly to the Tampa area. :)

Nice write up Doc.

·
Registered
323 Posts
haas, i also went to the factory but they only showed me the museum. u could look a bit through the windows in the museum and u could see the assembly lines a bit. but did u actually get into the factory and walked around the lambo's and see closely what they were doing?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You cannot just walk in and get a tour. It has to be arranged well ahead of time by your dealer and I think you have to be an owner too but I am not sure of that. You would be given a date and time to show up but they are quite flexible. They gave me the exact time and date that I wanted the tour.

Sant'Agata is 10 minutes from northwest Bolognia.

aehaas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts