Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone felt guilty for buying a lambo? In the sense that you could be using that money for so many better things like buying an investment property, throwing it into the stock market, saving it for early retirement, gifting it to parents, etc?

My current situation:
I'm 34, own my own business. My income is roughly $700K+ with a rough NW of 5M+ most of which is tied in the business itself so if the business went under, a significant portion of my NW would die with it. I probably have in the range of $300k - $500k liquid at any given time. A lot of money gets invested back in the business so depending on business needs my cash position fluctuates. House is 1.5M half of which is paid off. Also have a 1yr old kid if that matters. I also have a few random other investments in private companies and stuff, but the stock isn't liquid so I don't count that in my NW.

So I think I can afford a lambo without thinking TOO hard about it. Buying a used huracan at $200k and selling it for $100k+ after 5 years is 20k a year in depreciation which to me, seems manageable given my income. BUT, it's incredibly hard to shake the feeling that I'd be making a really dumb purchase and that that money could be used somewhere else to make even more money. I mean I didn't get to where I am by being dumb with money so the whole idea of spending 200k on a frivolous purchase absolutely hurts my soul a bit. Not to mention in my circles (rich people) a lambo is actually seen as obscene and low brow. Crazy right? But I grew up loving the car and the brand so I can't help but want one.

So anyone have any advice or felt similarly? Like how do you justify buying the car instead of using that money for better things like an investment or to help family out, etc?

I've also thought about waiting 5 more years until like 1.5m+ income or 10m networth, but a part of me likes the idea of driving it in my mid 30s instead of when I'm 40. Typing that out though, it's SO superficial it hurts lol. Advice?

·
Registered
894 Posts
My feeling is you are over thinking this. It's a toy. Is $200k going to make that much of a difference in your investments??? OK, I am not wishing ill of anybody, but if your doc said you got 24hrs to live are you gonna think, I should have invested more money or I should have bought that Lamborghini?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
You can afford a used G or Murcie. They will depreciate less than the Huracan. My rule is usually 2 to 3% of your net worth in a car. At 5 mill that puts you at 100 to 150 for a toy. Buy it and dont look back It will make you smile every time you drive it. If you buy an older Murcie, they are really cool and will probably lose little if any value. Mine is like brand new. Really nice ones can be bought for 160.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,098 Posts
The self examination is something I go through each time I buy one of these toys and I guess it is the inner small voice of my practical alter ego. I don't think that will change for me and so I suggest do your due diligence and by all means do think it through carefully and then decide either way it sounds like you have a bright future and if you don't take the leap now there are worse things than waiting until your forty to buy a Lamborghini. Best of luck with your decision!

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,098 Posts
FWIW, I think you will hear well intentioned advice that you only live once and that has merit but my own truism is, you may only live once but you can go broke over and over again. After you accumulate enough wealth and you make a mistake it becomes a slap my forehead should have had a V8 moment rather than I screwed the pooch moment. You seem like an intelligent, accomplished person so take my advice, or not, but be aware it is well intentioned, and simply food for thought. ;)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My feeling is you are over thinking this. It's a toy. Is $200k going to make that much of a difference in your investments??? OK, I am not wishing ill of anybody, but if your doc said you got 24hrs to live are you gonna think, I should have invested more money or I should have bought that Lamborghini?
Christ if I was this overanalytical Id still be driving a 911.

OP life is short and then you die. I bought my first Ferrari when I was in my 30's. The Earth didnt stop spinning. Life goes on.

You can always make more money. You cant buy more time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply guys, definitely food for thought. I'm naturally a very analytical person so constantly weighing the pros and cons. I think at some point I'll pull the trigger, have some business milestones I want to hit first but after that, I'll do some real shopping. Hope to join this forum as an owner soon!

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,098 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys, definitely food for thought. I'm naturally a very analytical person so constantly weighing the pros and cons. I think at some point I'll pull the trigger, have some business milestones I want to hit first but after that, I'll do some real shopping. Hope to join this forum as an owner soon!
Either way best of luck but you can still remain active on the forum, ask questions and improve your Lamborghini IQ or even help us improve ours. ;)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Why do you want to buy a Lamborghini?
Answer this
You have the means to do so
*Status(in your words ownership of such a car is austentcious in your circle)
*Fun
*To drive
*daily drive
*track car
*power

I think if you can answer the why, you will either be set or dissolve the idea

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
15,888 Posts
I bought my first before I could really afford it and all it did was incentivize me to be more successful. It was a great motivator.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,098 Posts
I bought my first before I could really afford it and all it did was incentivize me to be more successful. It was a great motivator.
Sort of like blanched finger tips hanging off a cliff? Just kidding......can't help myself, and I haven't even had too much caffeine.🤣

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought my first dream car in 1983.....a 911SC. Not only did I take out a bank loan, I put some money down from my Visa card. I loved the car. I wanted the car that badly. Now I’m the proud owner of a Verde Mantis Hurracan, which I’ve owned since new. Do you really,really want a Lamborghini? If so, buy it! Caskets don’t come with pockets.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you're thinking so deep then this hobby is not for you. You can't live your life worrying about simple things that do not matter or you can live life*** I make about half of what you make only have a house worth 650k and have two kids. Guess what? You can die tomorrow, you can loose your eye sight, loose legs, arms, ect. So what are you living your life for. Just my 3 cents.... You can keep thinking about it while all of us are driving.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,098 Posts
You can die tomorrow, you can loose your eye sight, loose legs, arms, ect. So what are you living your life for.
Thanks my friend I feel so much better now......glad to report I can see, I am typing so the arms are pumping away and as I was typing I glanced down at my legs......check. I get your point but the flip side I have a friend that was going to live for today didn't invest wisely, spent money like it was going out of style and he would often exclaim with abandon I want to die with 2 dollars in the bank.....guess what he didn't die and he has about 2 dollars in the bank, and he and his wife are living in their daughters basement..........I Sh*t you not!

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,098 Posts
Christ if I was this overanalytical Id still be driving a 911.
Funny! Now that would be a modern day tragedy........driving a 911 the ultimate over the hill wannabe Sports Car. I have test driven both brand new 911 base and a 911 S with the Sports Package and boy was that boring. I then test drove a mighty mouse a 2018 718 Cayman S and specced one out and bought one straight away. Honestly, if I ever feel an urge to go back to Porsche (highly doubtful) I would buy another 718 Cayman S or GTS........absolutely loved that car.
In all candor and honesty, once you have driven a Lamborghini there is no where to go but down. ;) (y)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks my friend I feel so much better now......glad to report I can see, I am typing so the arms are pumping away and as I was typing I glanced down at my legs......check. I get your point but the flip side I have a friend that was going to live for today didn't invest wisely, spent money like it was going out of style and he would often exclaim with abandon I want to die with 2 dollars in the bank.....guess what he didn't die and he has about 2 dollars in the bank, and he and his wife are living in their daughters basement..........I Sh*t you not!
Thats funny, I don't believe I was replying to you, but hey it's the internet where we are all free to respond. I highly doubt 200k is going to put this man in his moms basement. So even if he is in his moms basement unless he was just born into money and did nothing to earn it then he should not worry. As for me I have built from the ground up what I own so It really doesn't matter if I loose it all. As long as my mind works and I can recall how I built it, I can do it again and again. The only thing I would be fighting is health and time. Whats that saying about teach a man to fish?

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,098 Posts
@k3silk, understood and I know you were responding to another forum member but the intent is to give OP a complete picture. I also agree I/we (mostly) are like cats we land on our feet no matter what but there are those that..................

·
Registered
313 Posts
To the OP, there is absolutely nothing wrong with delayed gratification.

It is probably why you have been successful thus far.

I personally don't subscribe to the "you only live once" camp to justify doing it too early. Sounds to me like you are young, and have plenty of time, so from there it really just depends on your goals. Capital can do fantastic things when you are young, so be careful with your "powder"---

If business is good, that is great, but that can always change too. I personally like the concept of setting the car as a goal, and then leveraging your hustle to make that happen (house paid off, etc.). My feeling is it is a toy, you pay cash, in an amount that isn't a big % of your net worth.

A Lambo is a fun thing to buy, when the timing is right.

You'll know when timing is good/right for you. Meanwhile, enjoy the community and the hunt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Go for it, you can always put some money down and finance the rest, rates are great right now. Leaves your cash available for investing which should more than offset the interest you will pay.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts