Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the newbie's, like yours truly, if you have any questions about how I went about cleaning the car feel free to ask. I know there are threads that cover this but not current enough for my needs. The part of the cleaning process that I was most concerned about was cleaning the rear of the vehicle with our open/vented bonnet. I purchased several large beach towels from Walmart ($7.50 each)** and covered the engine compartment and even though I used a power washer and soap cannon I made sure to aim from front to back to decrease the likelihood of flooding said engine compartment. I realize, as the more experienced members do, that the engine compartment can get wet but the towels made clean up a breeze. One other thing, I did not completely snap the rear lid shut but rather I left it open a few millimeters and I was no worse for the wear.
In addition, I guess the prior owner did leave some water spots on the engine cover and ONR seemed to work fine but I would like to know if there are any other home made treatments......sort of remember someone mentioning the use of diluted white vinegar would work......please advise.

**@DXM31, I thought of you and approached the purchase of the towels with due frugality!

Premium Member
I use thin layer of aerospace 303 for the engine areas. They protect engine parts & plastics against wear & UV.

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #3
I use thin layer of aerospace 303 for the engine areas. They protect engine parts & plastics against wear & UV.
Thanks, how does that compare with Trinova Plastic and Trim Restorer? I purchased it but have not got around to using it.

Premium Member
Thanks, how does that compare with Trinova Plastic and Trim Restorer? I purchased it but have not got around to using it.

303 is best for all occasion and for most finish except car paint. Only for older parts with blemishes etc, the trim cleaner & restorer comes handy because they are stronger solution that penetrates the pores. You don't really need stronger solution on new parts because all you need is to protect the surface.

Registered
I washed mine too today, but here in Houston, I almost died from the heat, so now I learned my lesson.. Never do it again lol

Premium Member
I washed mine too today, but here in Houston, I almost died from the heat, so now I learned my lesson..
May want to invest in AC or floor fans. I use a floor fan to blow off cold air from garage. Learned my lesson 10 years ago (passed out from heat exhaustion and a trip to ICU). Never again!!

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I washed mine too today, but here in Houston, I almost died from the heat, so now I learned my lesson.. Never do it again lol
What time a day do you wash your car? I start at around 7am and am done washing and waxing it by noon, and I never wash in the sun. What I will not do is thoroughly clean the interior during the summer....I don't want to sweat all over the inside of the car.....aside from vacuuming the floor and cleaning the mats I wait for cooler weather. My wife and I are devoted to physical training and when I do the 4 or 5 hour car detailing I view as an alternate type of workout.

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #8
One other suggestion I read when cleaning the Huracan is dry the exterior surface of the bonnet before opening it. By doing that there will be less endless drips that you have to keep mopping up.

Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
One other suggestion I read when cleaning the Huracan is dry the exterior surface of the bonnet before opening it. By doing that there will be less endless drips that you have to keep mopping up.
lol, yeah I did the sane thing and thought 鈥渨hat was i thinking鈥. I鈥榤 going to get one those blowers to use For the drying process next time.

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #10

Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! I like it. That's a lot of bang for the buck.
Better than that T-Shirt........though, I love it! 馃槀

Registered
I posted this elsewhere on the forum, but this may help you as I did a lot of research before I ventured to wash mine for the first time (I had a bad experience with my 911 and our Colorado hard water, that I did not want to repeat on the Lambo).

Never washing the car in direct sunlight is another thing I make sure to do (mornings or evenings are best).

(Also, I have the Adam's Air Cannon mounted in the garage. I love how the hose expands tp 30' when I turn it on allowing me to walk around the whole car and dry without touching it. I prefer this to a leaf blower as it has good filters to keep junk from flying onto my newly cleaned car).

I also just bought some CS3 product (not noted below) which I have not used yet.

I am using Adam's Polishes products, and so far am very happy with the results.

Below breaks down the process for what it's worth:

鈥 Clean wheels & inner fender first - shaded side first using the Adams Wheel and Tire Cleaner (making sure everything is cool), microfiber wash mitt, wheel woolies short wheel brush, and fender brush (wheel cleaner is awesome as it turns the brake dust purple on contact and scrubs off super easy)

鈥 Rinse off wheels/tires, using the Adam's Snub nose pressure washer attachment, and pressure rinse the whole painted surface of the car followed by a quick mega foam using a foam cannon (before the water dries to prevent any water spots). The soap is PH Neutral (or whatever) so once applied, I'm not worried about water spots and can take my time.

o Before working on washing the car, clean tailpipes/exhaust tips, using the All Purpose Cleaner and a wheel woolie, followed by metal polish #1 which I can apply with a microfiber towel or applicator pad

o After detailing the exhaust, rinse the whole car with my pressure washer, and then re-foam the car again right away using mega foam - paying attention to areas that I'll need to wash sections by hand if necessary

o During the wash process, I do this when it is overcast, or in the shade, trying not to scrub - but if I touch the paint I I go side to side (not circles) using either a microfiber wash mitt or the lambskin wash mitt and 2 bucket method for rinsing each mitt. Also, washing the car from top to bottom to avoid scratches as the bottoms have more dirt and grime.

鈥 Drying- Start by spray off cracks and crevices with air cannon and get most of the water off

鈥 Final dry with ultra plush Drying towel over windows and any water that is left (although the Air Cannon does a good job getting most of the water off so I can be touchless)

For the occasional process I can:

o Ceramic boost (every 4 washes) to keep ceramic coating hydrophobic. Spray one panel of the car at a time and buff on/off with double soft microfiber towel. Use grey borderless plush towel for buffing off excess ceramic boost (borderless plush towel also good to dust interior with as well)

Bear in mind my lambo has paint protective film and ceramic coating as well, so the above process works for me. So far so good!

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #14
@LamboGrasshopper, very nice routine. To be honest, I always punt on the exhaust tips though I will do it next time. What all purpose cleaner do you use? Though, I may just use my car washing soap.

BTW, thanks for reposting your thorough write-up on car detailing!

Registered
Thank you-

For now, I'm using all Adam's product. The all purpose cleaner is: Adam's All Purpose Cleaner

What I like about keeping all exterior cleaning with one line like Adam's, is I can talk through with their on staff detailers and follow their proven processes. I took a lot of notes in speaking with a few Adam's employees and even went to one of their events where they detailed a car and took questions. Cool company culture, so I'm happy to use all of their products and rely on their guidance and support.

I recognize that there are many products that are good, I've just liked the customer service aspect of Adam's product. Their wall mounts and organizational stuff adds cool pops of color in the garage too.

@LamboGrasshopper, very nice routine. To be honest, I always punt on the exhaust tips though I will do it next time. What all purpose cleaner do you use? Though, I may just use my car washing soap.

BTW, thanks for reposting your thorough write-up on car detailing!

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Adam's seems to be well regarded but I have a question as a fan of their products why do you think their car shampoo is priced so high, is it that good? As it stands now I have about 10 gallons of chemical guys honeydew soap so I am stocked up for now but I would like to test out Adams soap, curious given there are quite a few people who swear by it.

Registered
Their Mega Foam costs like 2x their regular car shampoo. I was told the Mega Foam really foams up the best, and its the only foaming soap I've ever used. I don't have much to compare it to, but expect my gallon will last quite a while.

If I had to guess, some of their product is probably more expensive than a comparable high end product from another brand. I do know they go the extra mile with "scents" on their products, which is geared towards OCD people who love to wash their car as some kind of ritual. I'm not that guy, but I do think it is cool when the products don't smell super harsh and there is a good smell instead.

All that said, I settled on the entire Adam's line with the thought process that I can have good product support across an entire "system".

Adam's seems to be well regarded but I have a question as a fan of their products why do you think their car shampoo is priced so high, is it that good? As it stands now I have about 10 gallons of chemical guys honeydew soap so I am stocked up for now but I would like to test out Adams soap, curious given their are quite a few people who swear by it.

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #18
In addition, to protecting and enhancing the surfaces does it have any effect on water spots or should the water spots be removed prior to using 303?

Registered
^This. I use the blower to get rid of the water on the glass bonnet before opening it. I also wipe down the rear face of the glass partition that separates the passenger compartment as that side of the glass can collect water spots and affect rear visibility which is already compromised by the TEB.

Regarding water spots, diluted white vinegar mixed 50/50 with water supposedly works but has the funky smell. I have a lemon tree and freshly squeezed lemon juice works wonders removing hard water spots but is a bit tedious to collect and I worry about the acidity on paint. Most recently, I've used a Malco water spot remover in a green bottle I picked up from O'Reilly's that the manager recommended. They keep it behind the checkout counter and the manager recommended use of gloves due to it's potency but I had no issue using soft cotton terry cloths to apply to my Countryman's windshield which is parked outside and thus collects water spots. It worked so well that I used the same product to clean the spots off my shower's tempered glass panels (after getting lazy using a squeegee to wipe down). You might prefer the Malco product due to ease of use and not having to concoct/smell a vinegar product or collect freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
^This. I use the blower to get rid of the water on the glass bonnet before opening it. I also wipe down the rear face of the glass partition that separates the passenger compartment as that side of the glass can collect water spots and affect rear visibility which is already compromised by the TEB.

Regarding water spots, diluted white vinegar mixed 50/50 with water supposedly works but has the funky smell. I have a lemon tree and freshly squeezed lemon juice works wonders removing hard water spots but is a bit tedious to collect and I worry about the acidity on paint. Most recently, I've used a Malco water spot remover in a green bottle I picked up from O'Reilly's that the manager recommended. They keep it behind the checkout counter and the manager recommended use of gloves due to it's potency but I had no issue using soft cotton terry cloths to apply to my Countryman's windshield which is parked outside and thus collects water spots. It worked so well that I used the same product to clean the spots off my shower's tempered glass panels (after getting lazy using a squeegee to wipe down). You might prefer the Malco product due to ease of use and not having to concoct/smell a vinegar product or collect freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Great suggestion.....can Malco water spot remover be used on CF?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts