Lamborghini Talk banner

Just bought a 05 Gallardo Gated 6.... and have a question for the experts.

1786 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Ripper
Wonderful forum you all have here and I am glad to be a part of it. Just got a new to me 2005 Gallardo Gated 6 with about 68k miles on it. Great running car that just needs a little TLC from a lifelong Audi/VW fan. I plan on rebuilding and rescuing this old beautiful car (I have a thing for rescuing old abused imports. lol). It has been in the hands of a bunch of dealers the past few years and they didnt care too well for her. She is in a good home for life now. :)

I have been going through the car and noticed a few odd things the previous owner did not tell me about or simply didnt know about. I just moved homes and I am getting a hoist installed soon so I have been just putting the car up on jack stands and tightening up those pesky coolant clamps near the tunnel cover. One of them had a little leak yesterday. The car was from Dallas, TX in the heat and its only about 50 degree F here... so the hose clamps just needed tightening...But when I was under the car I noticed that there is a Muffler style clamp blocking/closing off one of the coolant lines off off the side the heater flow valve (Up above and behind the aluminum tunnel cover). I will add a picture when I jack it up again. My guess is the previous owner had a coolant leak in the front of the car and decided they didnt need heat in Texas so they just blocked/clamped it?

I tried the heat on the way home from dinner tonight and ice cold. The car was warmed up and nothing... cold air. I need heat in the midwest of the US.

Is that a hack for people in the south to save coolant? Save weight? I cannot think of any other reason for the old owner to clamp it off. It looks really hacked and rigged and before I remove it and fix I am wondering if there is something I am missing?

Other things still to do:
  • Remove the goofy wing from the rear hatch.
  • Remove the front License plate mount.
  • Change all fluids so I know exactly what's in there. (Currently has Green Coolant and a generic oil change) Going with Royal Purple 20w-50 and havent chosen coolant yet.
  • Replace the brakes. The rotors have a lip on them from the old owners just changing pads. Plus they squeek and groan at lights.
  • Learn to read my VAG COM. haha

Any other advice for a new gallardo owner?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Vendor
3,010 Posts
Welcome! That color looks stunning in person. I've now seen about 5 in this color and hard to appreciate in photos. Get us a picture of that line that's blocked and closed off. It's never good to block off any hose due to a leak. Also, I'd change all fluids everywhere since you said it seemed neglected.
@Devo

· Registered
490 Posts
Check out Girodisc rotors if you aren't committed to staying OEM; they don't have the stupid drill holes, better quality, and they're two piece so you can swap the rotors as needed without buying new hats. Brake fluid changes are super easy on the G. Oil changes, not as fun, and you'll need a special wrench you can buy at bullstuff, etc.

Otherwise, welcome, hope you enjoy the car and the site. I've had my '06 for 16 years now and it's amazingly reliable when treated well.

· Vendor
3,010 Posts
Check out Girodisc rotors if you aren't committed to staying OEM; they don't have the stupid drill holes, better quality, and they're two piece so you can swap the rotors as needed without buying new hats. Brake fluid changes are super easy on the G. Oil changes, not as fun, and you'll need a special wrench you can buy at bullstuff, etc.

Otherwise, welcome, hope you enjoy the car and the site. I've had my '06 for 16 years now and it's amazingly reliable when treated well.
Very true! I've sold the Girodisc rotors to a lot of G owners and it's a great setup. Also, I have the oil filter wrench in stock and at a nice price. Here's what you need to do the oil change. I forgot to show the oil filter and crush washers.

Burtman Industries Oil Filter Wrench 04-08 Gallardo

· Registered
4,223 Posts
Congratulations on your new toy! Looks great! Factory gated cars are becoming hard to acquire. Once you get everything else squared away consider going RWD. It totally changes the character of the car in a good way. Lightens up the steering, feel, and handling making it much more fun to drive.

· Registered
396 Posts
Very true! I've sold the Girodisc rotors to a lot of G owners and it's a great setup. Also, I have the oil filter wrench in stock and at a nice price. Here's what you need to do the oil change. I forgot to show the oil filter and crush washers.

Burtman Industries Oil Filter Wrench 04-08 Gallardo
Made my own filter wrench out of some flat bar that I found laying around at work, piece of cake. Used the filter housing as a template.

· Registered
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,941 Posts
Beautiful color, couldn’t really see the wing but I assume its not the nice typical wing I see on most.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome! That color looks stunning in person. I've now seen about 5 in this color and hard to appreciate in photos. Get us a picture of that line that's blocked and closed off. It's never good to block off any hose due to a leak. Also, I'd change all fluids everywhere since you said it seemed neglected.
@Devo
Thanks. I love the color even more now thats I have seen it in the sun and night lights.

I ended up putting it up on my hoist. Took off the clamp and so far.... no leaks and the heat instantly worked again. I topped off the fluid and I bought a new coolant valve that I will be changing next. But I dont mind if hot air comes out the vents right now as it is cold in Michigan. haha. I will when summer comes though. ;) Im guessing that why the lazy last owner just clamped it off.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Bumper

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Window

Automotive tire Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I will be going with Giro's. Thank you.

I bought the oil wrench you guys are talking about. It made it very easy. I love the funny quirks of this car so far. haha

I ended up changing the front main seal as well as I was getting a small leak there. All fixed up and very simple to change that too. Took about an hour with hand tools.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Auto part Automotive exterior

As a veteran car nerd and mechanic.... This thing is easier to work on than many of my other old imports. I am VERY excited to start "modding it" in my own style.

Thanks for all the amazing info and community here.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congratulations on your new toy! Looks great! Factory gated cars are becoming hard to acquire. Once you get everything else squared away consider going RWD. It totally changes the character of the car in a good way. Lightens up the steering, feel, and handling making it much more fun to drive.
Im am sourcing the front hubs right now. haha. Being so easy I HAVE to at least try it. Does anyone have the updated part umber for the Audi/VW hubs for around $50-60?

I have only driven it (stock AWD) about a 1000 miles so far as it is winter here now. I want to drive it some more to really feel the difference when I "convert" it.

Currently in the stock form it does feel "stiff" in the steering wheel. It feels like it has a little understeer push. Almost like the car has a ton of caster and the weight is returning the steering wheel back to center. Hard to explain. It does feel confident and stable though... but almost numb. I actually thought the power steering pump was low or belt slipping as the wheel was stiff to turn at first. I think I will be draining and flushing the system as it is also part of the front lift system. That way I can tell if it is the car or the intended "feel".

I even thought about going to coffee and cars and seeing if I could drive someone else's Gallardo around the parking lot to feel the steering wheel "drag" or damping.

Once I convert I will report back on the difference in performance and feel.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Beautiful color, couldn’t really see the wing but I assume its not the nice typical wing I see on most.
Here is a better picture of the wing. I took it off and will be selling it with the stock rear hatch as I am going to seek a carbon fiber rear glass hatch. Let me know if anyone is interested.

I guess it is a Richard Hamann Motorsports Adjustable wing for 2004-2008 Gallardo. Link Here HAMANN rear wing for Lamborghini Gallardo

For this summer I am just going to 3D print some black little rectangle caps to fill the ugly mounting holes on the hatch.

The old owner even drilled into the front bumper to mount a license plate. :/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.