Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I'm still saving and still researching more info on these cars. Still to this day I'm wanting to find a Jalpa, restore it and make it mine. New condition or used it's what I want to do.

Anyway, to get to the point (and spare you paragraphs of rambling on about random things) I was wondering as far as money input - How much do you (speaking from an owner's perspective) spend per year on maintenance on these cars.... Now given some people like to work on the car themself and do it themselves on some things, others will pay to have it all done without the hassle. I plan on doing some or most of the work myself, I like tinkering with things and spend almost all of my free time working on my 2 lovely projects right now. But either way, there is always the cost of parts... so how much am I looking for things like parts, problems, etc. I would simply just like some input from some owners if you have any time. Also, are there any oddities in these cars that make daily driving a pain? I know that I've found website listing off specific problems with specific cars (not the Jalpa as an example, actually I haven't found one yet) but as an example some cars make an odd sound when you shift (only to find out that's just how the throwout bearing is made, etc..) or a light doesn't come on (specific wiring in specific years.... bad fuses in specific years....) things to watch out for basically. Is there anything listed that you can think of? I just want to be prepared if or when I do find one and have the chance to begin restoring one of these cars.

Thanks for your time for reading and responding,
Derek.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If your worried about costs don't buy an exoctic, Lambo or other.

Best information site on the Jalpa, Raymond's site
http://www.jalpa.ch/index_a.html

Cost of parts, when you can find them, is quite high.

Cost of repairs, plan high then double or triple it.

If you can afford it the car is a lot of fun. It won't out run a lot of current production cars out there but then it is +/- 20 years old.

Expect most of the issues you would have with any car that age plus the quirks of any other Italian car.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not worried about it, just am looking for numbers to weight and see what I want to get into as far as an exotic. So far I'm convinced a Jalpa would be a fun 1st. Thank you much for the link, I'm looking at it now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got done reading through some of it. Very informative, thank you, I'll be looking at it more when I get back from work tonight. Once again it is much appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Most Jalpas are in good running condition. The question is whether you want to replace the older leather, fix the little this, and the little that, put a new stereo in it, etc.

But when it comes down to it... it is all based on each car. My new Jalpa only has 11,000 miles on it and the engine and trans feels like it is brand new. Howeer, I am spending a lot on little things. New leather, new stereo, new paint, pre oiler, new exhaust, etc. Most of things were not needed to keep the car running, but will be nice to have.

As for average upkeep. If you know how to tune a carb and change the oil you can save a lot of money. Use a color tune spark plug if you are learning to tune and watch the pros do it once or twice before you try it. There are also many parts from fiat, Alfa, and other cheaper Italian car companies that you can use instead of the Lamborghini OEM part at 5 to 10 X the price. example. distributor cap from lamborghini over $100 from auto zone $12 to 15 dollars rotor over $50 from lambo. Auto zone $7.95

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would most definitely plan on cleaning up the little things and what not. As far as the common problems, etc, the site was a good reference. Looks like I'll still be aiming for a Jalpa :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Just remember little things add up. Leather, stereo, A/c, heat, carpet, etc. I have spent much more than I hoped to on the little things! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I too have spent more than I have really planned for. Parts are hard to come by and pretty pricy!! However, I wouldn't trade it for the world!! :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, if you enjoy it, it's worth spending the money to enjoy it. I just wanted an estimate. Hopefully in the next however many years I'll be able to look forward to this opportunity.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Never Surrender

I just spent 4 months searching for an 86 Jalpa that was red w/ tan. I finally found one for 32K; It was a four owner car with approx 70k miles. Then this red and tan Jalpa showed up on Ebay that presumably sold for over 45K. The seller then changed his mind and decided to keep the car. The irony is within one week I found another red and tan 84 Jalpa with 28k, one owner, manuals and service records, complete tool kit with belts, fuses and bulbs and in superb shape. The seller had posted it on an exotic car web site for only 1 day before I called to enquire. Needless to say the Jalpa was delivered to me yesterday and you should see the heads that turn. I am not a new Jalpa owner as I bought my first one brand new for 60k in 86 from a dealer in Ft Lauderdale, but sold it in 90 for 58K. I was 24 then and not as wise as I am today. In any case the moral of this message is never give up and many things happen for a reason. Thanks and I will be looking for parts and advice on this site.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Hi, could you send me some details about both your cars to the Jalpa-Website?

Congrats for your findings, sometimes it's good to miss a car to find just another one which is better...

·
Registered
164 Posts
The per year maintence is not really an issue with this car. The true issue is buying are car that has been sorted out properly or spending the money to get the car right. Once the car is sorted, the major maintence items are fluids and wear items. The more the car sits, the more things tend to break once you do drive it. Valve adjustments are a necessary and expensive service that these cars do require after a certain # of KMs. If the car is right or made right at the beginning, it should give you years of trouble free enjoyment.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
From my experience valve clearance is not an issue, my car had perfect clearance after 70t Km on the odo, the biggest issue is the synchronisation and tuning of the carbs.
A too rich mixture burns oil and causes damage to the cylinders, there is hardly a good mechanic who can tune them perfect.
I have one, he's servicing my CT at the moment, he managed to bring my former Jalpa to 33ppm hc at idle!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Yes in switzerland, www.mdgarage.ch currently rebuilding the engine of Eric's Tahiti blue Lp500s

1 - 15 of 15 Posts