Lamborghini Talk banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Several things to check. 1. the relays DO NOT all function like normal relays. Look at the function diagram on the back of the original relay. Even though they look alike they function differently. If you install the wrong relay it will cause malfunction, burning up or other such calamities. The relay panel is terrible about letting relays push out the back. You must disconnect the entire block and push wires back onto the relays after removal. If you just plug back in you will probably push wires out. (Really poor design) Check each relay by running power across the coil portion and use an ohmmeter to see if it is opening and closing as it should. Check for power to the relays . It has a multiple relay system that is a little maddening. It takes time , patience and good notes. Unfortunately the wiring diagram on Jalpachat does not match my car and probably not yours either. It is an approximation , nothing more. Lee

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sorry to butt in, alas I have a related question...

I have one light that keeps going up and down, looks like the car is winking...! WOuld that be the limit screw or relay that controls it?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I've not had to explore that end of the car yet.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Your Problem is most of the times related to the diodes stopping the Motor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank you Lee T. I am going to engage the help of a guy that is much better at electronics than me. I will have him test the relays and I hope we can find the problem. He will come out after this Pandemic slows down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
So I went at the system again and slowly checked what I could. Behind the relay panel I found a damaged black wire that I repaired, thought I FOUND IT! But no, tested and same no go. Found a thread on how to test the relays and will do that. To make sure everyone is on the same page: Neither of the headlights go up or down. At the start just the drivers side was NOT working and the passenger side WAS working. The passenger side stopped working after I went in behind the relay panel to make sure all the contacts were engaging the relay tabs. Tried to post a picture but can't figure that out again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Since the problem has changed slightly in that now the problem is NEITHER headlight will go up or down, I am looking for new solutions. While I am asking does anyone know where I can buy Bosch relay 0 0332 014 151?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Since the problem has changed slightly in that now the problem is NEITHER headlight will go up or down, I am looking for new solutions. While I am asking does anyone know where I can buy Bosch relay 0 0332 014 151?
I just put that part number into a google search. Many options came up. I think you can get that at any part store. I have bought a couple relays over the years for my Jalpa. I usually give a part number and they provide me with a couple options. You should have no trouble.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Just look at the diagram on the relay. There are only a couple of different ways they function. Look at the diagram on the new relay. The one most common in the jalpa is not the most common one in parts stores . Not all the relays in the Jalpa are the same. Some are the common type and some are the other type. As long as the function is the same and the diagram identical. then it will work. You can usually cross bosch numbers pretty easily. I found them readily available on the internet. All have 2 wires that energize the relay. The difference is what happens to the other 3 pins when energized and with the power off. You can test easily by putting 12V power to the two leads showing the spiral coil symbols and then see what happens with the others using an ohmmeter.If you hear a click when you put power to it then it is energizing the coil. The coil moves the switch which changes the connections between the other three wires. Lee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So when you say "test easily by putting 12V power to the two leads showing the spiral coil symbols" does that mean put positive to one and negative to the other? Need to be sure before I hook 12 volts up to the relay that is now sitting on the bench.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Yes . It does not matter which side is pos and which negative. Just hook up 12v to the terminals with the zig zag coil diagram and see if it clicks. Use an ohmmeter to check the function in on and off position of the other three terminals. . If you will post a picture of the diagram on the relay , I can tell you more. Lee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I did a chart on the 2 different relays found on my 86 Jalpa. Attached is a series of tests done on the relays to determine if they are good. In the attached thumbnail you will see on the left is the 0 332 014 151 it is a 30A Relay.....on the right is a 0 332 204 151 it is a 20/30A Relay. I found that 2 relays were no good and I replaced them. Now I have my passenger side headlight working as well as my front Carrello fog lights working that never worked before!!! The drivers side headlight is still not working but I will continue on with a slow and detailed process of elimination to find the problem. There is 1 more relay on the drivers side panel in the front bonnet that I will test.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
A common mistake is that people substitute the two relays. They are not interchangeable as you can see by the different function. One switches power between the two 87 terminals and one energizes both at once. If you put the wrong one in the hole , you will melt wires and blow fuses. It is great that it is working. Keep checking , you are getting there.Check the Jalpa wiring diagram. It shows the relay function as well. Just be careful , it varies from car to car. If you have the owners manual it might have the relay spec. I never had an owners manual so don't know. Also don't assume that the relay in the hole is the correct one unless it was working before. It seems like there is another relay that energizes the relays to the headlights. I think each side powers up separate.Check the relay that energizes the relay set. Follow the power when turned on. Lee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks Lee.....AND YA WHOO!!!! I got the drivers side light to work!!! The relay on the bonnet fender wall was bad. It is located behind the headlight motor, towards the drivers seat. It is a 0 332 204 151 Relay. I replaced and all is working. I will take a picture and post with a final comment on this fix.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Yeeeaaah! I am so glad it helped. I know the input on the forum has helped me dramatically. It is always nice to get to the root of a frustrating problem.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts