Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my car over to Wil at Exoticars for a once over. I'm probally going to have him drop the engine to repair a couple of annoying oil leaks. At the same time, he's going to change all the hoses, set valve clearences, ect.... I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of any preventative things I should do (ie head gasket, ect...) while the engine is out to save me a headache later. I plan to keep the car for the long haul. I'm going to speak to Wil and take his advice; I was just anxious to hear anyones input who has any experience with these cars. Compression is excellent and the clutch was done about 1000 kms ago. Thanks in advance for your help.

Frank D

·
Registered
898 Posts
Frank,

Not having had to pull my engine yet, I really can't offer anything other than the stuff I've read here.

One thing I would do for sure, is have the engine block sealed with that coating Larry did on his. Almost all Jalpa engine blocks leak oil because of their porosity. The waterpump would be a good thing to rebuild. I'd have the valve clearances checked and adjusted too.

I'm sure Raymond has some thoughts too. As will Larry, David, etc...

Good luck, and make lots of digital shots so we can follow the progress!

Mike
Jalpa #12071

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hi Frank,

I probably have a few tips, but here's a quickie.

1- Get some of Raymond's motor mounts for starters.

I'll think of more. Of course it depends on how far you want to go.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
The sky is the limit. There are so many things. Like Larry said get a set of Raymonds motor mounts and changes all rubber hoses(fuel, water and oil). Other than that I would say to have only the current issues fixed. There will always be something. I have found that if you start changing everything, you never have time to enjoy it. Raymond where are you? We need your input.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I'm sorry not having answered immediately, but since my racecar had a broken rod on the trackday 9th october I was picking up another 944 Turbo engine yesterday.

I do not agree the fairytaile of leaking blocks, my engine has some leaks too, it's not the block it's always some joints.

Of course you should install some of my engine mounts, then an upgraded ignition, I suggest Permatune, it's a simple plug in and will work 100%

Some of the idea you can find on www.jalpa.ch

My car has rather high oil temperatures at high rpm, you should check the duct to the oil cooler or replace it with a bigger unit.
Laust with his biturbo installed a bigger on in the front like the first series Jalpa.

Although compression might be good you should check the valve guides, these engines have weak guides which are mostly worn.
When doing a major engine overhoul you should replace the sodium filled valves with normal ones, there is absolutely no need to have such valves in an aspirated engine.
In contrary the risk of a broken valve is much higher, see pictures of such an engine on www.jalpa.ch too

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jalpa

Thanks for the input. Raymond, I reviewed the information on the Jalpa site about the upgraded motor mounts and ignition. How quickly can you ship the mounts to the states? Are the peratunes truely plug and play? I thought I read somewhere that the Tach did not work properly and an adapter was needed to get it to work properly? Does the upgraded ignition truely make a big difference in performance? I wasn't planning to do a total tear down of the engine at this time. I do realize that the Na+ filled valves are a problem with these cars.......do you suggest doing them them now before a future problem? I'm afraid to open pandoras box if I start to break the engine down. I will be setting valve clearences, lash, ect...while the engine is out. Raymond, do you have a contact for the permatune ignitions? I would assume it would be cheaper for me to get it here in the states. Thanks again for the help.

Frank

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Frank

I can ship the mounts immediately, I have 3 or 4 sets in stock.

The Permatune is a 1:1 replacement for the Bosch Box, the tacho problems arise with MSD, Crane etc boxes which are standard boxes, their tacho signal will not be recognized by the jalpa tacho.
On some cars the MSD tach adapter works, on my car it didn't, I found another solution...but my tacho is not accurate, I have no idea if this is a problem of the signal or the tacho. Need to change the tacho to check but I 'm really unenthusiastic to take the dashboard to pieces :rolleyes:

Contact Lonnie (the Owner) of permatune and he will ship the box directly or give you a sales point, www.permatune.com

Replacing the sodium filled valves is only an option if you open the engine, just keep in mind that Lamborghini lowered the max rpm from 7400 to 7000 rpm, they didn't do this without reason...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts