Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just happened to be walking by my Jalpa last night, and noticed that the low brake fluid light was illuminated. I opened up the hood and looked at the brake fluid level and it was about 1/3rd down. I looked under the car, but the fluid that was on the floor is not coming out of the calipers, it looks like its coming from where the steering rack is, and almost under where the A/C dryer bottle is attached.

I've not had a chance to investigate since it was so late when I saw it, but anyone else have a similar problem? So far, I have determined that its not leaking around the master cylinder, or any of the lines coming out of the master cylinder.

I have the older style brake booster setup. The type that is mounted inside the driver side front wheel well. And, there is no fluid on that side.... its all on the passenger side.

Thanks.

Mike
Jalpa #12071

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I had a similar Problem. Mine was leaking in the back. After an hour long search I found the lines were corroded inside the car. There were several pin holes in the line. I just cut out the bad section and used compression fitting. I would follow the lines from the master cylinder. You'll see where it is coming from. It will also help if you have someone that can pump the brakes while you watch to see where it is coming from. You can get the line and compression fitting from any auto parts store for under $10.00. Let me know if you need any more information.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I had a chance to look at it last night. It appears that its the brake booster itself which is leaking, none of the lines are leaking at all.

The brake booster is a "Bendatalia", and looks very much like the same units used on the late-60's Alfa Romeo's.

Anyone confirm that? If they are the same as the Alfa, you can get rebuild kits from International Auto Parts for like $60.00.

Now, the questions is..... How in the heck do you remove that brake booster from the car???? It appears that the only way would be to remove the front bumper, or to maybe take it our through the headlamp bucket?

By the way, for those who have not seen this type of booster on the Jalpa, I found this image on an Alfa website. Seems that the 60's Alfa's had these made by either Benditalia or Bonaldi.

Mike
Jalpa #12071

·
Registered
182 Posts
The brake booster are the same on early Jalpa, Urraco P300 and Silhouette. They are also fitted on Alfa Roméo Giulia 105 and early Lancia Scorpion (US) or Monte Carlo (Europe). I have rebuil mine on the P300 with rebuilt kit from Alfatstop: www.alfastop.co.uk

Repair kit, Bonaldi 105.14.45.022.02/46

Air valve unit 105.14.45.022.22/47

You need one kit by side. For acces remove the complete headlamp and after it's easy, good luck mike.

Eric

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I took out the first of the (2) boosters and began rebuilding it today. Went very smoothly until I started putting everything back together.

As you can see from the one photo, the seal that came with the kit, does not look anything like what came out of the booster. The air valve seal that came out consisted of (2) very small seals seperated by a metal spacer. The kit came with (1) seal that is too big.

Not sure where to go from here.

Mike
Jalpa #12071

1 - 5 of 5 Posts