Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Lamborghini Diablo SV
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. Bear with me on my first post and some questions. Looking for some advice.

New to the forum and Lamborghini's. Recently started a search for a 12 cylinder, manual car. Have been flip-flopping between Testarossas, 550 Maranellos and, of course, Diablos. While the former would be great, the Diablo is something entirely different.
Anyway, as you all know, the market is pretty crazy now and like anyone now looking, is kicking themselves for not jumping on the wagon just a few years ago. Essentially nothing under the $200K mark, even for questionable examples. While auction results maybe closer to reality (fairly rough looking black 91 with 3x,xxx miles just sold at Mecum Kissimmee yesterday for 150), I have no desire to bid on a car sight unseen.

So, what's on the open market now? A handful of 6.0's and SV's in the mid to high $200's-300's. If I didn't just build a house and pool, I may be able to swing it. But for now, not in the budget.

Yellow 91 for $200 at Lamborghini Palm Beach and two 95 VT's at separate dealers for $225.

Focusing on the last two, both are Rosso Diablo, similar miles.

First one has snowcorn interior, factory wing. 22k km. Recent service but last engine out was 2005 with clutch, pressure plate and bearing replacement done. No mileage recorded. Est mileage since this service based on the last known odometer reading prior to this is about 2800 miles . Catch is it's a full repaint and interior reupholster. No reported accidents but this makes me wary on such a relatively low mile car.

Second has a black interior, no wing. 20k km. Sparse service records. Last service aside from basic fluids was 6 years ago at DriverSource in Houston (I know they're a reputable shop as I'm local to them, but 6 years ago is an eternity on these cars).

General thoughts? Pricing in line? I understand the 94-95's are not the most desirable as the first years of VT, but I'm not looking for the fastest Diablo. Hard for me to gauge the market since auction results are sparse and mostly a few years old. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Diablo prices are incredibly condition specific, so its tough to know whether pricing is in line without some understanding of history or condition. Bear in mind, I think almost any Diablo you buy you'll easily find needs 5-20k of work - its just the nature of these older exotics. I'd buy a good 94 over a bad 91 but the early cars are actually more common in production numbers - so just hold out for a spec you truly want.

The early cars are getting a resurgence - but being patient or opportunistic can payoff. I kept a worldwide search going (since anything made before 1997 is easy to import) when I was searching and ultimately found a good 2 owner car (SV) that was part of an estate/collection sale. Here's a site link that aggregates global listings (lamborghini diablo used – Search for your used car on the parking)

I think many cars end up with 'known resellers' (e.g. Roy Cats) as he has a good audience and reputation for specific niche exotics.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You need to be very careful in getting a good well sorted car. If you dont do the homework and verify all service history, you will easily end up with a car that will cost you half again to get it in proper running order. Yes, some of my Diablos are pricey...but then again they are also 100% gone through and ready to just drive and enjoy. Plus I am always open to offers, dont worry you wot offend me.
Have a 97 Roadster inbound as well

Thanks
Roy
www.catsexotics.com

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Diablo prices are incredibly condition specific, so its tough to know whether pricing is in line without some understanding of history or condition. Bear in mind, I think almost any Diablo you buy you'll easily find needs 5-20k of work - its just the nature of these older exotics. I'd buy a good 94 over a bad 91 but the early cars are actually more common in production numbers - so just hold out for a spec you truly want.

The early cars are getting a resurgence - but being patient or opportunistic can payoff. I kept a worldwide search going (since anything made before 1997 is easy to import) when I was searching and ultimately found a good 2 owner car (SV) that was part of an estate/collection sale. Here's a site link that aggregates global listings (lamborghini diablo used – Search for your used car on the parking)

I think many cars end up with 'known resellers' (e.g. Roy Cats) as he has a good audience and reputation for specific niche exotics.
Thanks for the input. Thought this thread would die a quiet death:)
Understood about condition. Unfortunately, all I can report is what I've read, pics I've seen, and documents that have been requested to judge any particular car.
And thanks for the website link. Somewhat similar to the classiccars URL which also shows world wide inventory. I do have to note that some of the cars on the website you linked are long gone.

You need to be very careful in getting a good well sorted car. If you dont do the homework and verify all service history, you will easily end up with a car that will cost you half again to get it in proper running order. Yes, some of my Diablos are pricey...but then again they are also 100% gone through and ready to just drive and enjoy. Plus I am always open to offers, dont worry you wot offend me.
Have a 97 Roadster inbound as well

Thanks
Roy
www.catsexotics.com
Roy. Thanks for the input from you as well. One thing that other owners I have spoken to emphasize more than anything is "FIND OUT THE HISTORY". A higher mile documented car>>>low mile poor history car. Guess that remains true for most vehicles, but it seems particularly true for Diablos.
As you probably guessed, the '6.0's and SV's' I was referring to are mostly in your inventory. Pre-house construction and pre-COVID, I'd be in the game for some of your cars. But as I mentioned, they're just not in the budget now. Appreciate the willingness to take in any offer. I will certainly take you up on that. Never say you won't be offended because you haven't heard my offer yet😂

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think most of these cars are going to have a huge gap in history to be candid. There should be enough you can do inspection wise to determine whether the car in its current state is good or not. If a very thorough inspection reveals its a good car, the history really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
738 Posts
If you have a budget, a diablo might not be the best choice. Or any early 12 cylinder Italian exotic. Lilke Roy mentioned, you could be in it for half the purchase price again for repairs if you go for one on the lower price spectrum. Chose carefully, Roy would be a top choice to purchase from.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have a budget, a diablo might not be the best choice. Or any early 12 cylinder Italian exotic. Lilke Roy mentioned, you could be in it for half the purchase price again for repairs if you go for one on the lower price spectrum. Chose carefully, Roy would be a top choice to purchase from.
Trust me. Running costs are what scare me the most. I have an 05 Ford GT which cost essentially nothing to run and a modern-ish water cooled Porsche which isn't cheap, but nothing compared to the numbers I've seen some owners rack up on just wear and tear and maintenance on these cars. Wrong forum for this quote but I think Enzo said, "Every man should plant a tree, father a child and drive a V12 once in his life." Aston's don't do it for me at all. The Ferrari contemporaries are a close second, but I just can't stop coming back to the Diablo. I need to get this out of my system. I just hope my wallet doesn't regret it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Never a wrong forum for a quote from Enzo ;) Best of luck on your search, you will find the right one. Diablo's are legendary, will look great next to the FGT.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,104 Posts
Bonehead, you mentioned testarossa and a 550 Marinello and a Diablo all in one sentence. To each their own, but I would suggest a Diablo stands well above both of those others. That said, a testarossa is on my eventual add- to-the-garage list. But oh man, these Diablos are otherworldly!

You might want to read up on pretty much everything that has been said on this forum about Diablos: what to look for and what repairs have been made, and who made them. That will help you ask the right questions of the sellers as to what work they have done. You will find time and again a car like this that has been regularly driven is far, far better than a low mileage car. No one will know what needs to be done with these cars unless the cars are driven, and then the seller would have fixed whatever needed to be done. A Diablo that has been sitting there is likely a mechanical ticking time bomb.

Also, while not trying to be personal, you mentioned Roy‘s cars are beyond your budget and yet you are still looking at Diablos. If you do not have the ability to write a $25,000 check within 12 months of your ownership I would steer you away from that car. Not to say all Diablos are money pits but Diablos of this vintage that are not well sorted can easily rack up a one year repair bill as you sort it out. Not to mention taxes. A well sorted car for say 225 will still need some work but a less well sorted car at 200 will likely cost you more. To this point, if you are handy with some tools and patient and enjoy that sort of thing as I and many others on this forum do, you can learn a lot and sort your car out for a lot less.

good luck on your search and don’t let me steer you away from a Diablo because they are absolutely fantastic to drive and very special cars.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bonehead, you mentioned testarossa and a 550 Marinello and a Diablo all in one sentence. To each their own, but I would suggest a Diablo stands well above both of those others. That said, a testarossa is on my eventual add- to-the-garage list. But oh man, these Diablos are otherworldly!

You might want to read up on pretty much everything that has been said on this forum about Diablos: what to look for and what repairs have been made, and who made them. That will help you ask the right questions of the sellers as to what work they have done. You will find time and again a car like this that has been regularly driven is far, far better than a low mileage car. No one will know what needs to be done with these cars unless the cars are driven, and then the seller would have fixed whatever needed to be done. A Diablo that has been sitting there is likely a mechanical ticking time bomb.

Also, while not trying to be personal, you mentioned Roy‘s cars are beyond your budget and yet you are still looking at Diablos. If you do not have the ability to write a $25,000 check within 12 months of your ownership I would steer you away from that car. Not to say all Diablos are money pits but Diablos of this vintage that are not well sorted can easily rack up a one year repair bill as you sort it out. Not to mention taxes. A well sorted car for say 225 will still need some work but a less well sorted car at 200 will likely cost you more. To this point, if you are handy with some tools and patient and enjoy that sort of thing as I and many others on this forum do, you can learn a lot and sort your car out for a lot less.

good luck on your search and don’t let me steer you away from a Diablo because they are absolutely fantastic to drive and very special cars.
I was merely expanding on my thought process on which 12 cyl cars I have been considering. I did in fact say that the Diablo is something "entirely different", which is why I'm here and (thankfully) not on F-chat😁

As for the cost of repairs, again, it's at the top of my list of concerns. Would a $25k repair bill bankrupt me? No. Will it make me shed some tears and have my wife yell at me? Quite possible😂. If anything finally deters me from getting one of these, it'll be this issue.

Thanks for chiming in. I need the real owner experience and input.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,104 Posts
I hope some of my ramblings were helpful to you. If you ever want to chat privately I’m happy to do so and I have done so many times to other forum members. PM me. Good luck as I highly recommend these cars - under the right circumstances and due diligence. 😎

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone have knowledge of this car? Interior has been reupholstered, aftermarket wing, and Lowenhart wheels. Has been sitting for a while at a somewhat decent price for a 6.0. Don't know if it's because of the modifications or a story behind it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Anyone have knowledge of this car? Interior has been reupholstered, aftermarket wing, and Lowenhart wheels. Has been sitting for a while at a somewhat decent price for a 6.0. Don't know if it's because of the modifications or a story behind it.

The wing is the wrong wing for the year. simple fix, remove it and correct the holes $4K. I would be concerned for the wheels causing damage to the VT. OEM replacement wheels...a few out there, but at $10K a set, plus $2500 for tires..the interior, not bad, again can be redone for under $8k back to OEM...then get rid of the BUT UGLY Bullet tip exhaust return to OEM for about $4500

SO add that up...and depending what their asking price is, may not be any better then buying a ALL correct one thats on the marker..no matter what you do to this car, it will always be out there for ever for another future buyer to ask WHATS UP WITH THIS...even if its been changed back to OEM...it is however a rare and special color.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The wing is the wrong wing for the year. simple fix, remove it and correct the holes $4K. I would be concerned for the wheels causing damage to the VT. OEM replacement wheels...a few out there, but at $10K a set, plus $2500 for tires..the interior, not bad, again can be redone for under $8k back to OEM...then get rid of the BUT UGLY Bullet tip exhaust return to OEM for about $4500

SO add that up...and depending what their asking price is, may not be any better then buying a ALL correct one thats on the marker..no matter what you do to this car, it will always be out there for ever for another future buyer to ask WHATS UP WITH THIS...even if its been changed back to OEM...it is however a rare and special color.
Monterey Blue is most definitely a special color which, aside from it being a 6.0, is probably the only reason I keep coming back to look at this car. I don't mind the wing so much although I would most likely get rid of it. Interior not my style, but I could live with it. The wheels and exhaust are just downright terrible. So, yes, I would have to plunk down a good chunk of change to make it 'right' for me. Thanks for the insight, Roy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
[/QUOTE]
First one has snowcorn interior, factory wing. 22k km. Recent service but last engine out was 2005 with clutch, pressure plate and bearing replacement done. No mileage recorded. Est mileage since this service based on the last known odometer reading prior to this is about 2800 miles . Catch is it's a full repaint and interior reupholster. No reported accidents but this makes me wary on such a relatively low mile car.
I personally know the owner of this car and can vouch for the amount of work/dollars he put into it. He most recently had it at Evans for extensive maintenance. He spent an ungodly amount on perfect exterior/interior redo and is extremely meticulous about every little detail and originality of parts, down to the small turn indicator lenses. He was a neighbor when I lived in Ormond Beach and can put you in touch with him if you like.

As a fairly recent owner of two (94 VT and 98 Roadster), one with close to 56k miles, I can tell you I have never felt more at ease owning one having been in the club for the past two years. Like everyone says, these are really easy to work on cars, and if you have a good independent shop near you, that would help immensely.

These cars have been my dream since they first came out and while the TR and 550 are fine cars, they are nothing compared to the Diablo. In fact, nothing touches the wow factor these cars generate at cars and coffee, even the latest Aventadors, believe me, the only real competition I had at the last one was a Senna!

If you can afford one of these, don't pass up on the opportunity.

Side note, I'm thinking of selling my 94 as I REALLY don't need two Diablos in my garage, and would like to get an FGT.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I personally know the owner of this car and can vouch for the amount of work/dollars he put into it. He most recently had it at Evans for extensive maintenance. He spent an ungodly amount on perfect exterior/interior redo and is extremely meticulous about every little detail and originality of parts, down to the small turn indicator lenses. He was a neighbor when I lived in Ormond Beach and can put you in touch with him if you like.

As a fairly recent owner of two (94 VT and 98 Roadster), one with close to 56k miles, I can tell you I have never felt more at ease owning one having been in the club for the past two years. Like everyone says, these are really easy to work on cars, and if you have a good independent shop near you, that would help immensely.

These cars have been my dream since they first came out and while the TR and 550 are fine cars, they are nothing compared to the Diablo. In fact, nothing touches the wow factor these cars generate at cars and coffee, even the latest Aventadors, believe me, the only real competition I had at the last one was a Senna!

Side note, I'm thinking of selling my 94 as I REALLY don't need two Diablos in my garage, and would like to get an FGT.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the insight into that car. It does look like a nice example from the photos and the list of recent service items appears to be fairly through.
The full repaint and reupholster does still give me some pause. Not like it’s a 100k mile car. I’d have to assume the previous owner(s) weren’t too kind to it. Regardless, it’s still on my radar.

PM me details of your 94. I’m still looking and ready to pull the trigger for the right car at the right price. Came close to one but unfortunately couldn’t come to an agreement on the number. Such is the pains of an exotic car purchase.

As for getting a FGT, unequivocally yes! I’ve had mine for 9 years and it’s been nothing but great and stone cold reliable. Other than fluids and tires, I haven’t had any major costs to maintain it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts

Side note, I'm thinking of selling my 94 as I REALLY don't need two Diablos in my garage, and would like to get an FGT.
Thanks for the insight into that car. It does look like a nice example from the photos and the list of recent service items appears to be fairly through.
The full repaint and reupholster does still give me some pause. Not like it’s a 100k mile car. I’d have to assume the previous owner(s) weren’t too kind to it. Regardless, it’s still on my radar.

PM me details of your 94. I’m still looking and ready to pull the trigger for the right car at the right price. Came close to one but unfortunately couldn’t come to an agreement on the number. Such is the pains of an exotic car purchase.

As for getting a FGT, unequivocally yes! I’ve had mine for 9 years and it’s been nothing but great and stone cold reliable. Other than fluids and tires, I haven’t had any major costs to maintain it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]

I'll PM you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts