Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After researching the Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2 Valentino Balboni, I cant help but feel like this must be the best Gallardo ever made. Its like a superleggera but with rear wheel drive. Rear drive supercars just have a personality that many other cars lack. You have to drive this car, it doesnt drive itself like some of the high tech cars that are coming out nowadays. I found a video where Autocar tests the LP550-2 Valentino Balboni. This thing is so serious! Here is the video:

Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2 Valentino Balboni | Ultimate Street Videos, Car Reviews, Car News

This is like an everyday drivable Ferrari.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Judging from the sales reception it received, it not many will agree that it's the best ever.
Although it's a great car with great looks and a tribute to a great man it's just not "lamborghini-ish". The AWD was part of the DNA for the past decade.

I am surprised that it was hard to shift 250 units though, and even more surprised that it's now a non-limited budget model (without the VB stuff) if it didn't even sell as a collectible limited edition.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
899 Posts
I can assure you the 550 is absolutely nothing like the 570. I've driven both and they do NOT have the same characteristics. The 550 is really a 560 without the front dif and a different interior color scheme. It really did not seem special to me in any way.

The 570 is a whole different animal from the moment you see it. Front fascia design, rear wing(optional I know), lots and lots of carbon fiber and probably the most obvious when you open the door is the alcantara covered race buckets. and alcantara covered EVERYTHING. To drive it you would not realize it was awd until you turn it sharply at slow speeds, then you can feel the tug at the front. It's very focused and gives a lot of feedback. It just feels extra special and imo gives Lambo a reason to charge extra. I never could find that same reason that the Balboni cost extra and you really are getting less:confused: Unless I'm mistaken the 2010's base price was about 20grand more than the 560.

That's my .02

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
570SL has to be the best Gallardo.

The new 2011 RWD base Gallardo is the best "value" Gallardo. Hard to find a new Gallardo for $200k MSRP.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
LOL :)

10kg isn't a ton. I'm guessing it's simply because it has less standard equipment? I believe the nose lift isn't standard on the 550 so that alone would be a lot. The VB had the lightweight Scorpius wheels from the 2008 SL though, so the weight savings elsewhere would have had to offset them too.
The one item that claims about half the weight loss is the c/f bucket seats. I believe that saves about 20-25lbs per seat. The rest is in the materials used such as alcantara vs leather, c/f vs plastic and metal and I think the wheels come in at a total of 19lbs lighter. The rear bonnet is polycarbonate and not glass and the entire bonnet is c/f too. Door panels are c/f and probably add up to a total weight savings of another 10-12 lbs.

There is a lot of additional panels on the exterior that add weight, but they are all c/f so I guess the added weight would be minimal.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
The one item that claims about half the weight loss is the c/f bucket seats. I believe that saves about 20-25lbs per seat. The rest is in the materials used such as alcantara vs leather, c/f vs plastic and metal and I think the wheels come in at a total of 19lbs lighter. The rear bonnet is polycarbonate and not glass and the entire bonnet is c/f too. Door panels are c/f and probably add up to a total weight savings of another 10-12 lbs.

There is a lot of additional panels on the exterior that add weight, but they are all c/f so I guess the added weight would be minimal.
I was referring to the Balboni vs the new 550, not the SL...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
probably in the minority here but i think the rwd was a huge step backwards from the awd.

·
Registered
130 Posts
for marginal drivers like myself....I agree. AWD has saved my ass more than once...and it was WAY more fun on the track knowing you had a margin of error greater than my courage. AWD is moving the game forward....when done like is is on the new Lambos.

As John stated...you can't tell its AWD except on slow turns when you can sort-a feel the front end doing a little of the pulling.

If everyone had a chance to drive a new Lambo...like the 560/ 570s the whole AWD/ RWD debate would be OVER.

Like MP4 vs 8 track....

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If they had been manufacturing Lamborghinis in only RWD, and all of a sudden they came out with all-wheel drive...... everyone would be raving how superior the car is with an AWD system !! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
If they had been manufacturing Lamborghinis in only RWD, and all of a sudden they came out with all-wheel drive...... everyone would be raving how superior the car is with an AWD system !! :rolleyes:
Well, isn't that what Ferrari is going to do?:D I guess we can wait and see how well that is responded to.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
for marginal drivers like myself....I agree. AWD has saved my ass more than once...and it was WAY more fun on the track knowing you had a margin of error greater than my courage. AWD is moving the game forward....when done like is is on the new Lambos.

As John stated...you can't tell its AWD except on slow turns when you can sort-a feel the front end doing a little of the pulling.

If everyone had a chance to drive a new Lambo...like the 560/ 570s the whole AWD/ RWD debate would be OVER.

Like MP4 vs 8 track....
While RWD might be more fun, the AWD setup is definitely better, safer, and faster. You can still have fun, but you need to push the envelope that much harder. The best part of a RWD car vs a rear biased AWD car is exactly the fact that there's less grip. Can have fun hanging the tail out without needing to go at insane track-only speeds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts