Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
single or dual disc?
In particular I am wondering about the 6.0L clutch. It may be the same as the earlier ones, but curious if the Diablo clutch is a single or dual disc.
Thx.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Jrv

JRV: I posted this question elsewhere so excuse me for repeating it. Are you working on developing a titanium clutch rod or is someone else? Any idea when it may be available?
I talked to my Lambo Service Manager and he said that it appears that Lambo has changed the material in the replacement rods due to the fact that the incidense of failures has gone down dramaticly after replacemnet.
Are you aware of this? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
>>I talked to my Lambo Service Manager and he said that it appears that Lambo has changed the material in the replacement rods due to the fact that the incidense of failures has gone down dramaticly after replacemnet.<<

What would you really expect him to say? Things sucked then and they still suck? I don't think he'd have a job very long being brutally honest in every detail do you?!?!?! :) Fortunately for me I have no party line I must adhere to for fear of being fired.

In fact Lambo DID change the rod, which can be determined by a Gray coating on the latest version vs the first series Black coating. However I have seen several broken Gray rods.

Like was mentioned previously the "design" of the rod itself is what promotes the failure. And yes I'm working on a Titanium replacement that is garunteed to take the stress loads without failing. The finished product is still several months away.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Speed,

the new rods still break, of course failure rate is down, the cars have new rods..will they be claiming the same when the new rods are 5 yrs old???

The problem with any new design is how does one address the basic flaws in such a way to permanently eliminate or mitigate the original problem in a permanent way. As John M mentioned Titanium is very difficult (read expensive) to machine. My design eliminates the welding of the original design, it is essentially machined from a piece of solid billet titanium, eliminating several weak spots of the original rods. The piece of Titanium Billet alone costs $260...and I've had quotes up to $3000 for the machining..of course that number was unacceptable, but to make a long story short this is a more difficult project than it sounds.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't know if this suggestion will help.
I am a dentist and I work with Ti everyday as I do Dental Implants.
We use pure machined Ti for implants.
When I want to modify it I find cutting it with diamond burs (drills) the easiest.
Our drills have very little torque but spins real fast (500,000 rpm).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts