Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my '08 Gallardo for about a month now. It's been a lot of fun. However earlier this week, the E-gear starting acting crazy. I got an E-gear error when trying to shift gears. The car started bucking while it kept trying to reengage. I couldn't even get it into neutral. I had to shut the car off and turn it back on again to reset the error, but then it kept reoccurring. I had to limp home in 2nd gear. So frustrating.

Anyway, I had the Gallardo towed to my nearest Lambo dealer. They said that the E-gear issue was due a faulty speed sensor for the transmission. ~$300 for a new sensor, but $1550 for diagnostics and labor! WTF? Apparently they have to remove the power steering pump or something to get to the sensor? What am to do?

They also said that fluid was leaking from one of the shocks and it would be $9000 to replace the pair! Yikes! I had the car inspected at a Lambo dealer in another state before I bought it. They performed a detailed inspection and didn't find this leak. There are also no drips in my garage. Is it for real? Attached are some pictures. Does this look like a leak to you? Am I getting played?

IMG_1501.jpg
IMG_1503.jpg
IMG_1502.jpg

·
Registered
904 Posts
First, line up a good independent and get costs lowered on future visits. Your shock leak looks like the one I had in the Diablo....you don't get alot of spraying, I never saw a drop on the floor. Diablo shocks can be rebuilt for $1,750 each.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If your shock is leaking chances are you won't see it on the garage floor. From the pic I would say it is leaking. When the seals go bad they just seep fluid when the shock is moving, when your car is sitting, no movement, no seeping. As for the cost of the shocks, I would be very suspicious. Price them online.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Your shock is definitely leaking. Not like it’s going to explode or catch fire while you’re going down the road or something but may eventually leak enough to be unable to lift. Very easy to swap out if you find a nice used one and avoid the dealer parts cost. The prices for the diagnostic and repair of the speed sensor seem totally normal and reasonable to me.

·
Registered
485 Posts
This is a fairly common issue with the shocks on the Gallardo. Unlike the Diablo there doesn’t seem to be a source to have them rebuilt. I would be willing to bet if you had a really good local race shop they might be able to get it done. At a minimum you need to find an independent mechanic to save you some cash.

Another thought is to contact the dealer that did the PPI and see if there is any way they will help you out with this. It seems they may have missed it on their inspection? Probably not a way to prove it but might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a fairly common issue with the shocks on the Gallardo. Unlike the Diablo there doesn’t seem to be a source to have them rebuilt. I would be willing to bet if you had a really good local race shop they might be able to get it done. At a minimum you need to find an independent mechanic to save you some cash.

Another thought is to contact the dealer that did the PPI and see if there is any way they will help you out with this. It seems they may have missed it on their inspection? Probably not a way to prove it but might be worth a shot.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
332 Posts
In any event, I recommend establishing a relationship with a good independent shop. A good one is worth their weight in gold, and you shouldn't feel compelled to go to a dealer for all of your needs.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
What was the hourly rate for diagnostic? They probably plugged the computer in and knew it was a speed sensor right off. The repair sounds about right maybe an hour or two on the lift. The diagnostic seems high to me. Shocks are really easy to replace. Any mechanic can do it. Just remove them and have rebuilt. Way less than 9K. Good luck, Lee

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Does the entryway have a sloping ceiling so you are good and bent over before they break it off in you? They probably spent 30 mins on the diagnostic. Are you being screwed.......................do you need to ask?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts