Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just something I've always wondered and haven't found a solid answer to. I've seen a few wet Countaches here and there, but none that were actually being driven in the rain, plus I've been told that water heading into the side vents could possibly get to the starter and kill your car. Could anyone verify?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Just something I've always wondered and haven't found a solid answer to. I've seen a few wet Countaches here and there, but none that were actually being driven in the rain, plus I've been told that water heading into the side vents could possibly get to the starter and kill your car. Could anyone verify?
I've never purposely driven mine in the rain, but have been caught in rain on the way home from various events. Once I get home, I get in there with towels and dry everything off.

Its not that water gets on the starter that would be an issue, the main issue is the water coming in through the vents by the radiator. Right below the LH vent is the ignition coil, electronic boxes, relays and more.

Add to that the radiator fans sucking fresh air and water in the intakes and blowing it back onto all the electronics as well, and you are just asking for trouble.

Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't even have the car, it was just always a thought in my head, since I've strived for a Countach. I guess it doesn't surprise me that even the manual states that, supercars were pretty impractical back then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ve been caught out in the rain several times, one time at night with rain so hard there was 2 inches of standing water on the road and you couldn’t see even 50 yards ahead. That was not fun!

I just dry the car off as soon as possible when I get home. The car gives off so much heat after a long run it helps dry itself anyway.

I have the European version of the manual, I think the warning about never driving the Countach in the rain is on page 32 in that version. There’s quite a list of things you mustn’t do, including using the Countach for commuting, using the car more than 5 days in a row and leaving the car dirty for more than 12 hours.

·
Registered
417 Posts
One of the main reason is that you cannot clean down correctly certain parts of the car. Yes the body is fine and bits of engine bay. But to access correctly underneath, requires ramp. On my Diablo, I give it a full hard exterior valet every year. I was car down on solid ground first, the claean and dry down. After I put up on ramps and clean under carriage and in around the wheels etc, followed by white grease in the correct area that would tend too rust if not properly looked after. Yes it may be extreme, but on such rare and expense cars here, it's worth every penny and man hours. Plus I enjoy my refresh work. Just wish I had more cars to work on lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
wow, its funny the manual says not to commute, not to drive 5 days in a row etc.
its a car those are things that you do with cars.

SUDESH you are the kind of person i want to buy a car from. keep it clean, even underbody!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
drove my in the rain(because I can't control the weather) and it was fine. Both trips-California and Ohio to Phoenix both had several days of rain and the car had no issues in it or after

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Enzo I initially thought that maybe the manual says those things because the older Italian supercars were much more fragile. Perhaps there's still a bit of truth to this, but now I'm thinking it's more because Lamborghini at the time wanted their cars to be treated more as rarities.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, topcarbon! That's very reassuring. Now I'm thinking I was paranoid to be so worried of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts