Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Out of curiosity, is it possible to build your own track?

Something simple that your could just use on your own without worrying about being around anyone else.

I live in the middle of nowhere so the land would be cheap.

I asked a few collegues who are in the construction business and their answers are all over the map.

What do you guys think? Has anyone ever looked into this?

·
Registered
726 Posts
It’s not cheap but there’s no reason why you couldn’t. Whether it would be fun to drive or not would depend on the track design. Something I had considered was building an autocross pad, which is simply a large flat piece of asphalt or concrete. Then you could layout whatever track struck your fancy with cones. Or you could do some kind of hybrid. There’s a guy in New zealand who built a tiny drift loop around his house so he can practice.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1119821_new-zealand-man-built-a-drift-track-around-his-house

·
Registered
911 Posts
I am contemplating to build a long drag strip or lap for having fun. Honestly a serpentine track is not attractive for my behavior of driving. I prefer enjoying speed up to 150+ mph.

·
Registered
911 Posts
It sounds compelling.
We all like driving like hell. Let high speed last as long as possible.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like that guy built it for 11k, that doesn't seem too bad.

You just use regular asphalt? That seems pretty easy. Have a really long straightaway to get high speeds and then another part for fun turns!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Even in the middle of nowhere there might be land use restrictions (granted anything can be approved with the right process and enough money). One the that they get really weird about is the amount of land covered by stuff that doesn't let rainwater go through it. Usually it's stated as a percentage, so if you had a 100 acre unbroken parcel and they say only 2.5% can be covered, that would mean the area of your track (or parking lot) cannot exceed 2.5 acres. It gets really weird with figuring these sorts of things.
The more remote, the less anyone cares, but if you go against ordinances and someone decides to care in the future, you could have to rip it up.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Absolutely check with the municipality to see what you can and cannot build. Remote or not, there is always rules and regulations and someone that will complain. Keep us posted with what you find out.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Total price depends, of course, on location, climate, indoors (kart), outdoors (car), complexity, materials, paved, unpaved (dirtbikes), seating, repair garage, run-offs, water guttering, water dispersal, oil cleanup, barriers, landscaping, de-weeding, de-wilding, local planning laws, noise regs, safety mandates, marshalls, first aid, lawyers, insurance, etc., etc. How mad do you wanna go...

Pro, semi-pro, amateur, or reckless boondocks...

Building even a small, pro-grade track in the (crowded) UK will cost US$1-15 million at a minimum.

Silverstone, England, this year resurfaced its F1 track at a cost of US$3 million per 1 mile.

This is a good interview with the builder of a UK race track, from scratch, in 2013. Cost millions and took years.

Professional Motorsport Circuit Annual Showcase 2013

Of course, you can always buy 5 flat acres for US$10k in the middle of nowhere, concrete it yourself with cheap materials for 1 mile at US$10-100k, and pray it lasts a few years before it cracks or the local authorities find out or the novelty wears off.

Or buy a dirtbike and rag it round a 1-acre dirt-track for the price of an Aventador service.

·
Registered
427 Posts
In my opinion, that is not a race track. it's a curvy driveway. If you are into drifting I would say that it's marginally useful at best. An actual race track that can challenge the handling and top speed of a performance car would be something the 1% could do, not the 99%:rolleyes:

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts