Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I became aware of the Cizeta through a Motor Trend show on TV.
Fascinating story about an Italian car engineer, Claudio Zampolli.

He worked for Ferrari and other Italian car manufacturers.

He Designed a 16 valve beast. In 1988 he was able to hire Marcelo Gandini, to design the aesthetics of the car. Gandini originally proposed the concept to Lamborghini/Chrysler, but it was shot down.

How is the Cizeta not considered the birth of the Diablo?

fyi, you can get still get a Cizeta build today:

Exotic history is simply fascinating!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I am a big fan of the Cizeta.

To answer your question, I think the two cars are far too different to be considered of the same family. They share a similar body design aesthetic, but little else.

Claudio developed a V16 engine unlike anything at Lamborghini. An original engine in a configuration of 2 V8s paired together with the drive shaft exiting the center of the engine in a "T" configuration. After developing the drivetrain, he looked for a designer to create a body for his creation. Marcello Gandini at Ital-Design was commissioned to design the body. He had also been hired by Lamborghini around the same time to design the body for the Diablo. Chrysler heavily modified his original design. The story goes that Gandini was irritated by the changes Chrysler made. After Claudio rejected Gandini's first Cizeta design, he presented him with the original Diablo design. Claudio claims that he redesigned the back half in order to suit his extremely wide engine and allow better access for maintenance. The only thing a Lamborghini Diablo and a Cizeta share, is a similar original body design from an outside design house. The main similarities are the noses and general proportions.

Claudio Zampolli is quite a character. I have met him on a couple occasions and got to see the Cizeta roadster in person. It had a glorious sound as well as look.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a big fan of the Cizeta.

To answer your question, I think the two cars are far too different to be considered of the same family. They share a similar body design aesthetic, but little else.

Claudio developed a V16 engine unlike anything at Lamborghini. An original engine in a configuration of 2 V8s paired together with the drive shaft exiting the center of the engine in a "T" configuration. After developing the drivetrain, he looked for a designer to create a body for his creation. Marcello Gandini at Ital-Design was commissioned to design the body. He had also been hired by Lamborghini around the same time to design the body for the Diablo. Chrysler heavily modified his original design. The story goes that Gandini was irritated by the changes Chrysler made. After Claudio rejected Gandini's first Cizeta design, he presented him with the original Diablo design. Claudio claims that he redesigned the back half in order to suit his extremely wide engine and allow better access for maintenance. The only thing a Lamborghini Diablo and a Cizeta share, is a similar original body design from an outside design house. The main similarities are the noses and general proportions.

Claudio Zampolli is quite a character. I have met him on a couple occasions and got to see the Cizeta roadster in person. It had a glorious sound as well as look.
I agree with everything you say. Visually speaking the Cizeta reminds me of the Diablo.

I heard the V16 is extremely wide. The rear wheels needed to be 4 feet apart just to get the engine in.

wow! I’d love to hear the V16 in person.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
anyone have data on the v16? power output numbers?
hard to believe there was no commingling of ideas as both cars look so similar

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I would love to see a picture of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
That is crazy. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I would love to design and build a supercar. Problem these days is all the regulations. I thought even about buying up tons of old hummers and making them like new supertrucks. Strip to bare metal, new engine and drivetrain, carbon fiber accents , suspension upgrades etc.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would love to design and build a supercar. Problem these days is all the regulations. I thought even about buying up tons of old hummers and making them like new supertrucks. Strip to bare metal, new engine and drivetrain, carbon fiber accents , suspension upgrades etc.
Depends on where you live. My dad used to cut 2 damaged vehicles in half and make one good one out of them. He’d go into the DMV with a pic and just say he fixed a vehicle he’d like to title and register. No inspection, nothing. They just want their fees.
Then again he would sweet talk the lady behind the counter. So that might of had something to do with it.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Texas is pretty lax but not on salvage titles.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,315 Posts
Angel, I have seen and met quite a few ladies who work at the DMV were sweet talking would go quite far! Not meaning offense to any of the ladies at any DMV who am I’m not referring to. 😎

·
Registered
212 Posts
I remember first checking out the site a few years ago. Looking at the site now though, I have to wonder if anyone's still behind it. I can't argue with the price; it's not 1mil, but anyone truly aiming for one of these would probably be willing to spend it. Besides that though, the site itself looks incredibly outdated, not to mention government pressure on manufacturers lately that I'm sure would affect even a maker like Cizeta that's still supposedly building 90s engines. I'm curious when the latest V16T was assembled.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I remember first checking out the site a few years ago. Looking at the site now though, I have to wonder if anyone's still behind it. I can't argue with the price; it's not 1mil, but anyone truly aiming for one of these would probably be willing to spend it. Besides that though, the site itself looks incredibly outdated, not to mention government pressure on manufacturers lately that I'm sure would affect even a maker like Cizeta that's still supposedly building 90s engines. I'm curious when the latest V16T was assembled.
The US regulations on home made vehicles must be entirely different from factory built vehicles.

As, a person can build their own 4 wheelers aka ‘rock climbers’ in their own garage by ordering kits from the internet. Totally street legal.

I wonder if Cizeta should do the same thing? Provided the kits for home builders (engine and tranny, frame, panels, electronics, glass, etc). It would be one way to circumvent regulations.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Cizetas were never "legal" in the US. There was a story years ago about one being seized by the government. Seizure of Rare Supercar Raises More Questions $700,000 Government-Seized Cizeta V-16T: Coolest Supercar You've Never Heard Of (He got it back)

Someone told me they were trying to sell them legally as a type of kit. Idea was that the car would be completely built, but if you installed a couple major components yourself, it was considered a kit. $800,000 for a kit car is a little hard to swallow.

I don't think a car has been built in 18 years. Last official build I know of was the roadster. I heard tale that Claudio had a personal car that he was building for himself, but I have not heard if it was ever completed. I believe Claudio has several frames and lots of parts ready to go. The worst part of the Cizeta story is that there were a lot of lawsuits and legal battles. There are multiple groups claiming to own the brand. I don't know the ins and outs and am not about to take any sides. I would just suggest a lot of research to anyone thinking about one..... If I win the lottery, I think I will order one, but I have some questions first.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Cool history Chris. I think the lottery would have to go to a Muria or a pagani.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts