Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is a 1,600 mi, 2 owner, 2008 Gallardo coupe a guaranteed money pit? I just saw one come up for sale near me.

First owner put 850 miles on it over 3 years. Second owner added the other half from 2011 to 2020.

I’m sure the standard answer is “it depends on how well the service history is documented”, but I’m wondering whether any gear heads have tangible real-world evidence that a 2008 G coupe with such low miles will be an unreliable money pit.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Is a 1,600 mi, 2 owner, 2008 Gallardo coupe a guaranteed money pit? I just saw one come up for sale near me.

First owner put 850 miles on it over 3 years. Second owner added the other half from 2011 to 2020.

I’m sure the standard answer is “it depends on how well the service history is documented”, but I’m wondering whether any gear heads have tangible real-world evidence that a 2008 G coupe with such low miles will be an unreliable money pit.
If the price is very reasonable I would have no problem buying the car. A lot of cars sit at dealers for years. Before purchasing I would take it to a Lamborghini dealer to get the car checked out and checked for any recall campaigns.

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
12,258 Posts
It could needs some things replaced due to lack of use, but nothing serious. Like Oct said, have a full update and get a PPI. It must be a nice car, probably looks like new.

·
Vendor
2,345 Posts
I’d stay away from that car unless it’s going to be a garage queen and not be driven. I would choose car with more miles on it if you are planning on driving it and enjoying it. My tech would tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Depends on the trim and options, you'd end up only replacing standard aged hoses etc. Full fluid replacement etc and you could keep the miles way down and keep it in the garage. Hope it works out!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you could keep the miles way down and keep it in the garage. Hope it works out!
Thanks! Actually I daily drive whatever car I end up with :)

I went to see it today and it was every bit as spotless as I imagined. Other than some dusty PPF seams, it looked showroom new.

Plot twist:

I also drove a Huracan (2016 580-2) for the very first time, and it was astonishingly good. I honestly didn’t expect it to be THAT much better.

So... as much as I love my G, now I’m very strongly considering a Huracan instead.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks! Actually I daily drive whatever car I end up with :)

I went to see it today and it was every bit as spotless as I imagined. Other than some dusty PPF seams, it looked showroom new.

Plot twist:

I also drove a Huracan (2016 580-2) for the very first time, and it was astonishingly good. I honestly didn’t expect it to be THAT much better.

So... as much as I love my G, now I’m very strongly considering a Huracan instead.
Think I know the shop & car you're talking about. If it is, it's on consignment from an owner who is in no rush to sell

·
Registered
66 Posts
You got it.

Preliminary response about negotiation is that it wouldn’t be much.

Did you drive that one?
Nah I've actually been out of state the past month while working remote. I've been looking at some LP 610s at Lambo Austin but their prices seem so inflated compares to the comps it makes me not even want to make an offer on anything. An example being $185k for a 28,000 mile 2015 610 (maybe I am missing something, but there are a lot of 610s with far fewer miles, many under 10k, listed for less)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
If the car has sat in the right inviironment it should be fine. Most likely problem would be leaking seals but that would show up in the PPI if an issue. Afresh tank of gas and some fuel cleaner and the car would be good to go. This car most likely is a real find with such low miles.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If the price is very reasonable I would have no problem buying the car. A lot of cars sit at dealers for years. Before purchasing I would take it to a Lamborghini dealer to get the car checked out and checked for any recall campaigns.
Gut feel-yes I do not get owners who proudly tell everyone they drove it 500 miles in 3 years, that is a waste and not what they are intended for. Aside from my own two cents in general a G sitting that long will have all sorts of gremlins 100% usually their electrical of some sort, will have system leaks of some kind and probably multiple leaks. Again could be a great buy however it needs an extremely high level ppi to go through everything change all fluids that will tell you a lot after you change may find unpleasant surprises of water in the system if the oil has separated and last but not least if it has OEM tires swap immediately not even a question, I would not even go over 40-50 mph regardless of the miles on them, old tires are an accident waiting to happen and it will for sure have a side wall blow out. FYI the root cause of the accident that killed paul walker was the tires side wall failure 8 yr old tires less than 2K miles on them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
As soon as I read the question I thought... Change the tires unless you want to end up like Paul Walker. Great minds... They think alike ha

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Several cars such as this one have come up in the past. Thorough PPI, fluid changes, and new tires and the cars were trouble free with no issues. Saying all cars such as this would have problems or all would not are unrealistic statements. If the car checks out good and the proper things are done before operating the car there would be no issues.

·
Registered
380 Posts
True, plan for the worst hope for the best. If you buy it 20 under the market and spend 30+ to make it reliable because non stop problems not such a good deal, if you pay 20 under and only spend 2 to fix any open issues great deal !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts