Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I had a new interior installed, I haven't had the guts to put anything on the new leather to clean it other than a damp rag.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for breaking this baby in? I don't however want it to shine :eek:

·
Registered
76 Posts
SI LAMBO said:
......I haven't had the guts to put anything on the new leather to clean it other than a damp rag.
Me too. I have yellow stitching with black leather, and I'm afraid that if I put any liquid leather treatment on it, the yellow stiching will dull off and look dirty. I have an un-opened expensive Zymol leather treatment kit at home, and am not game to use it!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I've used a couple of leather treatments on mine (black/black stitching) but I'm not game to do the dashboard in case it gets all shiny and starts reflecting off the windscreen.

Bunkhound, I've wondered about the yellow stitching too. Maybe you could try a hidden spot first and see how that goes.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have 9 concours trophys under my belt (6 with FCar and 3 with Lambo) and have served as a Ferrari judge at two major events.

I've tried everything on the market, I have about 20-30 interior products.

John, what you are doing is fine. Occasionally a little dishwashing soap mixed with alot of water is OK for stubborn stains and rinse with a clean damp rag, they dry with a terry cloth. However, you will need to "feed" the leather time to time.

Probablly the most popular (and safest) product is Lexol. One to clean and one to condition. Get it anywhere.

If you have leather over 3 years old, then Leatherique - leatherique.com

My favorite hands down product is hard to get. A UK company called Autoglym (which makes some decent wax) has a product called leather cream. Cleans and conditons in 1 step. Leaves a nice new leather sheen, but no that fake shinny look like armorall. I'm very pleased with this product.

Finally, about once a year I treat it with Mink Oil (which is a paste). A restoration shop tuned me on to this about 3 years ago. The mink oil will soften, feed and preserve the leather. When using it on dark surfaces, use a light coat with long even strokes, then wipe off with micro fiber.

On your car, I would go with Autoglym only. I use so much detailing products I can buy wholesale from a local distributor - try a google search or properautocare.com. If you come up empty send me a PM and I'll find some for you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I use the Lexol products (cleaner and conditioner) on my crema Ferrari seats and in the lambo with tan inserts. I also use it on the dash, headliner and everything leather in both cars. I do a 100 percent re-application every winter. Then I can work in the garage and not be sweating all the time.

aehaas

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I would venture a guess that once any leather preparation "wicks" into a light colored stiching, it's going to eventually change the appearance. :confused:

·
Registered
68 Posts
i use Lexol on my ferraris and lambos. i use it very liberally, damp (or wet) cloth, who cares, the stuff works great.

i had the door to the roadster open last week in my garage and one of my dogs came back all dirty and wet from the creek. she decided to clean herself with my murci's leather. it was an absolute mess. the lexol cleaned it up in a few minutes and believe me, i put that stuff everywhere.

leather is better than before she came in.

i think if you dont use any leather conditioner then you might crack the leather? i keep the top off and sometimes parked in the california sun for hours a day -- so i think this is a very necessary step for me. i dont bother with sun shades or anything. i do note, however, that lamborghini leather is not as good as ferrari. the "wear" from my jeans is starting to show after 700 miles (leather is getting a little dull). so i'd be more worried about the wear from your clothes than the cleaner.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I use Turtle Wax Platinum leather cleaner on my Gallardo and my Saab. It works really well, and the products for the exterior are great too. I've used this on every car I've owned, and for the cars at my showrooms.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys

Today I cleaned the interior for the second time with a damp cloth. I used the Lexol product on the glove box behind the drivers seat. It worked great and didn't really make it shine. I'll use it on the rest of the interior next time. I still don't know what I'm going to do with the door panels.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Turbo50Mike said:
FL - Any feelings on the Zaino Bros leather cleaner/conditioner?

MJB
Sorry for delay, been out on the boat :)

I use a little on the steering wheel only right before a show...gives a little "pop" and leaves a new leather smell.

Several people who have been using the product since it's inception (about 3 years) have reported premature cracking. I've spoke with Sal Zaino many times and have brought this up... he said it's never been reported to him and of course, he will not disclose the formulation of the product.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a roadster and use Lexol as well. How often should I apply it to the leather?
I use the car once or twice a week and Im in Socal with the top off all the time

·
Registered
68 Posts
sk90077 said:
I have a roadster and use Lexol as well. How often should I apply it to the leather?
I use the car once or twice a week and Im in Socal with the top off all the time
In theory you only need to use every six months. But I have the detail shop I use apply quite aggressively during the summer months (maybe every 6 weeks - 2 months).

If I am washing the car myself and doing a polish/wax, i will always apply Lexol. I have never had a problem of too much build-up. I do not always use the cleaner because the leather is not necessarily dirty.

Given the choice, i will usually park under a tree and get the dust/leaves inside the car rather than put it into the sun. I wonder if there is an easy snap-on top for the roadster? something that would take 30 seconds to put on but not necessarily water tight (and not a car cover either!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts